Peaches and Cream Supreme pie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Peaches and Cream Supreme pie

I developed this recipe in 2018 for my county fair's annual pie contest. After years of trying, I was thrilled to be awarded the Grand Champion ribbon. I was the reigning pie queen of the county until I was dethroned last year -- by a 14 year old girl! It's all in fun.

Vodka Pie Crust
    1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
    1-1/2 sticks (12 Tablespoons) unsalted butter
    2-3 Tablespoons chilled vodka (I store mine in the freezer)
    2-3 Tablespoons ice water

Place ice and water in a bowl and set aside. Cut cold butter into 1/4" cubes and return to refrigerator. Measure flour into large bowl. Using pastry blender, cut cold butter cubes into flour until the largest is the size of a pea. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of vodka over flour mixture and stir gently. Repeat with 1 tablespoon of ice water. Alternating between vodka and ice water, continue adding liquid 1 tablespoon at a time until dough just holds together when compressed. Gather into a ball and flatten into a disc. Wrap tightly in plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.

Yield: 1 single crust pie (10")

Peach Layer
    3 lb. fresh peaches
    1/2 cup light brown sugar
    1/2 cup granulated sugar
    3 Tablespoons Minute Tapioca (or 4-1/2 Tablespoons tapioca flour)
    1/4 teaspoon almond extract
    1 Tablespoon unsalted butter

Line a 10-inch pie dish with pastry; flute edges. Return to refrigerator while preparing pie filling. Peel, pit, and slice peaches. Measure 6 cups sliced peaches and place in large bowl. In medium bowl, combine sugars and tapioca. Add sugar mixture to peaches and mix gently. Let rest while preheating oven to 450 degrees. This draws the juice out of the peaches. Sprinkle peach mixture with almond extract and stir. Using a slotted spoon, transfer peaches to pie shell, leaving most of the juice in the bowl. This makes for a firmer filling that doesn't slump when the pie is sliced, and helps avoid a soggy crust. (Pie judges care about such things. 😉) Dot the top of the peach mixture with 1 Tablespoon butter. Bake the pie (open face) in 450 degree oven for 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 375 degrees and bake an additional 40 minutes until crust is golden brown and peaches are tender. Cool to room temperature. To avoid the peach layer from forming a skin, you can stir it very gently as it cools, taking care not to damage the crust underneath. Refrigerate until thoroughly chilled.

Plan ahead: Toast the almonds for the pie's garnish after you take the pie out of the oven. Reduce oven heat to 350 degrees. Spread sliced or slivered almonds in a single layer on a baking sheet. Roast for about 8 minutes, tossing occasionally, until fragrant and slightly browned. Remove from oven and cool completely. Store covered.

Cream Layer
    8 oz. container whipped cream cheese
    1/2 cup confectioner's sugar, sifted
    4 oz. frozen whipped topping, thawed (or use real whipped cream)

Using electric mixer, beat whipped cream cheese until creamy. Add confectioner's sugar and beat until smooth. Gently fold in whipped topping until incorporated. Do not overmix. Spread over chilled pie and return to refrigerator.

Topping
    Just before serving, scatter about 1/4 cup toasted almonds over top of pie.

That sounds yummy! Years ago when the kids still were at home & I was not working, I participated in the county fair. I wanted to submit sourdough bread; they didn't have a category for it, so made one. (I was really "into" sourdough baking for a long time.) I got a ribbon for my pear jam one year. This year the fair was virtual, so it just wasn't the same. I always liked to browse the exhibits, view the quilts, photography, etc. No carnival rides, etc. A disappointment for lots of folks.

Comment

Sounds yummy!

I never did fresh fruit pies. At the hotels we did custard, pecan, things that could last for services. They brought in frozen fruit pies. That was the norm everywhere I worked. Little kitchen secret for when you guys start traveling again. lol
      🌺 Lorie

Comment

MSN, that recipe looks so good, would not dare to make this unless company was coming....
        No fair here this year either, not even virtual!!!

Comment

• MSN
          MSN commented
          Editing a comment
          I don't think there are fairs anywhere this year. Keeping my fingers crossed for next year.

That sounds delicious, I would love to make it.

Comment

Joy, I miss many things about the county and state fairs this year. The pie contest is always my favorite. It's fun to develop recipes that put a new twist on pie making. In previous years, I entered a praline caramel apple pie, banana toffee pie, raspberry white chocolate pie, and bacon apple pie. This year, I was planning to develop a recipe for a cranberry pie. Maybe in 2021.

Comment

I used to enter counted cross stitch and won several ribbons with those. The most elaborate one I did took me 15 months of my life and got me nothing. That was the last one I ever entered.
            pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

• Bubby
              Bubby commented
              Editing a comment
              I didn’t know you are a x-stitcher. It used to be my favorite thing to do. I think I would still be stitching but my eyes aren’t as good as they were back then.

• Bubby
              Bubby commented
              Editing a comment
              I didn’t know you are a x-stitcher. It used to be my favorite thing to do. I think I would still be stitching but my eyes aren’t as good as they were back then.

• bubba
              bubba commented
              Editing a comment
              I had to stop when I had a reaction to some medication that attacked the tendons in my hands. Just can't do it anymore

Pat, your efforts may not have gotten you a ribbon, but you did end up with a beautiful project and a sense of accomplishment. I wouldn't call that "nothing."

Comment

I've only entered a county fair once when I was talked into it by some friends. I entered a crochet beddoll. It won reserve Grand Champion. I was stunned. I love going to the fairs and seeing all the crafts. At the Minnesota State Fair I would spend a lot of time in the Creative Arts Center. They had so many beautiful things and oh, the quilts! I do miss that. Haven't been there in a while. Maybe next year.
              Carlie

Comment

Working...
              X