Turning a mistake into soup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turning a mistake into soup

I don't like broccoli. I won't even eat it with cheese. But Cheryl loves it. When the grocery delivery service made the mistake and gave us two heads of the stuff, my first inclination was to toss them, but then I decided that would be wasteful, even for something I can't stand. So today, I made Cheryl a big pot of broccoli and cheddar soup. I've made soup plenty of times in the past, but never this. After making it, she started eating and a surprised look came over her face. "This is much better than Campbells," she said, "we're going to have to get more broccoli." Oh yay.🤔

I learned to cook when I was a young boy. Mom made me take it in 4H. I joke with people that she never had any confidence in my ability to attract a woman. When I delivered her eulogy, I told the following story. The first project I made for the county fair was a pie crust. For some reason I put a tablespoon of salt into the dough. Mom didn't say anything, and to be honest, I'm not sure why I did it. I took the pie crust to be judged and it won a blue ribbon. When we got home I tasted the crust and it tasted fine. "See," I said to Mom, "all that salt didn't hurt it a bit." She looked at me and said "I got up at 7 a.m. this morning and baked another crust so you wouldn't embarrass yourself." I participated in a fixed pie contest.

Ah, Mom!

Rob
    "Both quilts and men will keep you warm, but a quilt will never say anything stupid."
    --Sign in my wife's sewing room

I love soup...what recipe did you use?

Comment

• Rob the HOAQ
      Rob the HOAQ commented
      Editing a comment
      It's pretty simple. Just take 3 tablespoons of unsalted butter and melt that in a dutch oven. Add a medium white onion and two medium carrots and cook until tender. Add three cloves (I use more) of minced garlic and let it cook for about a minute. Put a 1/4 cup of flour into the pan and cook it until mixed. Add three cups of chicken broth and let thicken. I then blend the liquid until completely pureed. Add back to the pan along with two cups of milk. Let the mixture start to bubble and add the broccoli (I used about four cups, which I chopped in my food processor). Let it simmer for about 5 to 8 minutes, depending on how tender you like your broccoli. Take it off the heat and add 8 ozs of sharp cheddar and let it melt. I shred my own cheese, because the packaged kind has ingredients that inhibit melting. Add salt and freshly cracked pepper to taste and serve. Makes about six or seven servings, depending on how much you eat.

• bubba
      bubba commented
      Editing a comment
      An easy way to make cream of vegie soup is to boil the vegie in chicken/vegie/whatever broth, put in the blender and puree. Put it back in the pan and add cream and heat thru. Asparagus is really good! You don't need to use the good part of the asparagus, you can use the bottom of the stems and use the good parts for another meal.

That is funny about pie crust . Did you eat any of the broccoli soup, I dont like broccoli, unless it is cooked and do like broccoli cherse soup. Sounds delicious.
    your a good man! 😀

Comment

• Rob the HOAQ
      Rob the HOAQ commented
      Editing a comment
      Afraid not, although I admit it did smell pretty good, and I normally don't care for the smell of cooked broccoli.

• bubba
      bubba commented
      Editing a comment
      If you cook the broccoli until it smells, you cooked it too long....same with cauliflower.

Broccoli is good for you. I love broccoli-cheddar soup.

Comment

Well, I can't do cheese, but at least you found a way to use the broccoli.

Love the story about your Mom. She was a special lady.
      Katrina
      “Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.” Maya Angelou

Comment

OH what a MOM. wonderful story. I just had broccoli and pasta for lunch!

Comment

I like broccoli, but I don't understand the big obsession with roasting it. It gets a weird texture and blah. lol

What a good mom. I worked professionally as a baker and pastry cook and one guy I worked with was hopeless. He took baking powder instead of powdered sugar to mix with water for a glaze for danish. The whole breakfast buffet had to be tossed. Then for Pumpkin pies he measured out a pound of cinnamon as one oz for the holiday buffet. The chef once asked me why I don't get along with anybody. I looked at him, like seriously 'Look at the people you hire'. This was after another of his hires left for the day because he didn't want to cut strawberries and set off the fire alarm. Geeze

Sorry I don't know where that rant came from. lol
          🌺 Lorie

Comment

Sounds wonderful. It is my daughter's favorite soup. I'll have to make some up for her (and me too). Her kids might like it also since they all love broccoli.
            Carlie

Comment

I love your story about the pie crust! The soup sounds really good.
              sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

Working...
              X