Quarantine Cooking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quarantine Cooking

One of the biggest complaints I have heard/seen from people since all this started was they are running out of things to cook. The same old thing gets tiring and cooking every day can be tiring too. It has been hot all over the country, and not too many want to be spending time in the kitchen when it is hot. I like to cook, but there are some days when I am clueless what to make. Luckily my hubby isn't a picky eater and when I am at a total loss for ideas he is happy with a couple hotdogs as long as we have buns.

One thing I've been doing for the past few months is using some ground turkey instead of ground beef, just to change things up and for a while it was hard to even buy ground beef here for a decent price. I have decided that I like the turkey in spaghetti sauce, as it doesn't seem as heavy and you can't really tell the difference.

Tonight, again using some ground turkey I made taco salads. Easy, not lot of time in the kitchen and it was good!

I browned a pound of ground turkey and added a package of taco seasoning mix according to directions on the package. To that I added one can of black beans (rinsed and drained) and heated through.

I placed some corn tortilla chips on the plates, sprinkled some grated cheese on the chips, spooned some of the meat/bean mixture on and then added a little more cheese. I topped this with shredded lettuce and tomato wedges and a little chopped onion.

Hubby is a ranch dressing guy so his got that on top. I made a dressing with some sour cream and salsa for my salad. There was enough meat mixture left over for one or two lunches this week as well.

What have you made during this time that is easy and even better, uses ingredients that most have at home already?
    K is for Karen 😊​..................
    Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
    T - is it TRUE?
    H - is it HELPFUL?
    I - is it INSPIRING?
    N - is it NECESSARY?
    K - is it KIND?

I learned to make pan-fried chicken this week. I am a California girl raised by a health-food addict, so fried chicken only came from KFC, never the stove. But we are strictly eating at home, and I got a craving for fried chicken. It needed to be gluten free, too. I used gluten free Bisquick and added salt, pepper, garlic powder and dried thyme. I lightly mixed an egg and some water. And this time I believed all the fried chicken recipes I've read that said to 1. Coat your chicken in the flour/Bisquick mixture, 2. Dip into the egg mixture, then 3. coat with the flour/Bisquick again. I just never before believed that you really had to do all three of those steps, but what a difference it made! The Bisquick actually stuck to the chicken, making for the best fried chicken I've had since giving up gluten.
    Toni ... If I keep sewing long enough, will they make their own dinner?

Comment

• Momofmonsters5
      Momofmonsters5 commented
      Editing a comment
      If you soak the chicken in salt water before frying it wont have "blood spots".

• bubba
      bubba commented
      Editing a comment
      I just shake the chicken in flour that has seasonings of choice added to it and shake, then cook in a frying pan with a bit of butter flavored Crisco in it. I add salt and pepper and other spices to it as it cooks. Once done, I use the drippings for gravy.

• TMP
      TMP commented
      Editing a comment
      I am a southern girl and was raised on fried chicken. Mine is not fancy. I put White Lily flour in a zip bag with a little garlic salt and pepper and toss in the chicken . I get Crisco oil pretty hot and put the chicken in, brown on both sides and turn down the heat and put a lid on it. When the chicken is done I turn up the heat and brown it some more if needed.
      I have a friend who dribbles hot sauce on her chicken after its done. I don't care for that.

Originally posted by K. McEuen View Post
    One of the biggest complaints I have heard/seen from people since all this started was they are running out of things to cook. The same old thing gets tiring and cooking every day can be tiring too. It has been hot all over the country, and not too many want to be spending time in the kitchen when it is hot. I like to cook, but there are some days when I am clueless what to make. Luckily my hubby isn't a picky eater and when I am at a total loss for ideas he is happy with a couple hotdogs as long as we have buns.

One thing I've been doing for the past few months is using some ground turkey instead of ground beef, just to change things up and for a while it was hard to even buy ground beef here for a decent price. I have decided that I like the turkey in spaghetti sauce, as it doesn't seem as heavy and you can't really tell the difference.

Tonight, again using some ground turkey I made taco salads. Easy, not lot of time in the kitchen and it was good!

I browned a pound of ground turkey and added a package of taco seasoning mix according to directions on the package. To that I added one can of black beans (rinsed and drained) and heated through.

I placed some corn tortilla chips on the plates, sprinkled some grated cheese on the chips, spooned some of the meat/bean mixture on and then added a little more cheese. I topped this with shredded lettuce and tomato wedges and a little chopped onion.

Hubby is a ranch dressing guy so his got that on top. I made a dressing with some sour cream and salsa for my salad. There was enough meat mixture left over for one or two lunches this week as well.

What have you made during this time that is easy and even better, uses ingredients that most have at home already?
    Yep, you live in NM lol we moved to El Paso but as you know NM is a hop skip away. I've started a keto diet so delish.com is my friend. The man is a very picky basic eater so I cook on demand for him ....I need variety, he eats the same thing ..eggs fried, bacon or weenies and a quesadilla or grill cheese sandwiches. My daughter and I load up on veggies and proteins.

Comment

I’m in a rut with my cooking. Once a week we have breakfast for dinner and once a week I make a meatless meal. We eat lots of salads, quesadillas and sandwiches. It’s easier in the winter when I make stews and homemade soups that can last for more than one meal. Right now I’m thankful for garden tomatoes. We eat a small platter of them every night with our meal. It saves me from having to make so many salads. Karen, I think I’ll pick up some ground turkey today when I shop. I like it for chili and spaghetti sauce.

sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

I cook for DH. He's a classic meat and potatoes guy, add veggies and cornbread and he's happy. We don't have casseroles, DH doesn't like them. We're beef farmers so we have plenty of beef, but there are only so many ways to fix it to suit DH. I substitute tuna for salmon and make tuna croquettes sometimes. We have breakfast for supper sometimes too. DH doesn't mind leftovers, so I batch cook often.
        *~* Myrna *~*
        *~* Quilters lead pieceful lives *~*

Comment

One of my favorites is fajita/burritos.
          I chunk up chicken or steak or grd beef and saute that
          Saute up some onions and peppers
          microwave a can of refried beans (black or pinto is good)
          chop up a tomato
          Shred some lettuce
          Grate some cheese
          put out some sour cream, guacamole, salsa, etc

Now, have some tortilla shells ready...flour or corn and heat a griddle on low
          Everyone can throw on a tortilla and start filling it with the ingredience themselves.
          They have fun, clean up is easy and you almost feel like you didn't really cook. Prep takes a little time but by the time you really eat you forgot. lol
          Walk in peace with the Lord by your side.
          Terry

Comment

I like to roast up a bunch of veggies for different meals. If you buy the generic zip-loc bags to toss them in oil, salt, pepper etc, it makes for a fast clean up. i don't mix all together, but go by cooking times. Cubed sweet potatoes and carrots on the same pan, pepper and onions etc. Since they are separated you can take the sweet potatoes, cauliflower and mix with black beans and make enchiladas. You have broccoli, onions and peppers for a frittata. Sooner than later you'll be thinking up different combinations you never thought of before.

I just thought of something else in my rotation. I buy Stouffers French Bread Pizzas, the plain ones. Sautee up some mushrooms, onions and peppers, or your favorites, heap on top, a little sprinkle of chili pepper flakes and top with some shaved parm cheese. One is enough for me with a side salad.
            Last edited by Hulamoon; July 23, 2020, 02:06 PM.
            🌺 Lorie

Comment

I browned a pound of ground turkey

I was wondering what brand you used? Our store only carries Foster Farms (what I was using) and Jennie-O. Jennie-O is on sale more often, but I found it has more water in it and I have to drain it less that half way through cooking or it's just steaming. I'm ready to buy a grinder for my mixer and grind my own chicken already.
              Last edited by Hulamoon; July 23, 2020, 11:28 PM.
              🌺 Lorie

Comment

• K. McEuen
                K. McEuen commented
                Editing a comment
                I have been buying the 93/7 Jennie O. It doesn't seem to have any fat and little water, what is there usually cooks off.

I've been relying more and more on my cooking utensils: Instant Pot, Crockpot, Induction burner, Elec. frypan and Nuwave Oven. Since I use oxygen 24/7 I can't be near open flame on the stove so I have to either remove my oxygen to cook or use an electric utensil to cook.

So, what have I learned? I discovered Pinto Beans! Yes, LOL, I love them but always bought the canned beans. Now that I do my own from dried beans in the Instant pot, I make a big batch and freeze some. Last week when temps were near 100F, I served byself a bowl of Pinto Beans, topped with shredded cheese, jalapeno, green scallions, sour cream, hot sauce and whatever else I found in the frig. Served with crisp tortilla chips.

I also discovered how to make Black Bean burgers. I'm not vegetarian but I like a meatless dinner once or twice a week.

I also make a few breakfast sandwiches with English muffin, egg, ham and cheese. They come in handy for dinner too. I don't think my stomach can tell breakfast from dinner. That's often the case when you cook for yourself!

Comment

• Hulamoon
                Hulamoon commented
                Editing a comment
                I've done that with pinto beans too. My step dd is part Mexican and she taught me her recipe. Another bean I discovered that is really good in hot dishes instead of just a salad bar is Chickpea beans. Giada has a recipe I'm actually going to make today.

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/...ragu-1-8815169

• auntiemern
                auntiemern commented
                Editing a comment
                What is your favorite pinto bean recipe...I have never had pinto's much. Mostly just northern beans, but I do like pinto's and cheese.

Other than my grands, I think I miss eating out more than anything. The only food I have eaten that I haven't cooked since all this mess is one Popeyes chicken sandwich my daughter brought me and she has brought me things she has fixed. I live alone and it gets old eating the same thing for days. Here lately I just am tired of cleaning up the mess in the kitchen, so I am not eating as healthy as I should ( too many sandwiches.!) I did pick up some fresh vegetables last time I was at Publix but again what a hassle to fix so they are still in the frig.
              I made egg plant Parmesan for the first time that was really good.
              Last edited by TMP; July 25, 2020, 12:18 PM.

Comment

• auntstuff
                auntstuff commented
                Editing a comment
                I live alone too. When I cook, which is often, I eat one serving and freeze individual servings of leftovers for later. I have 5-6 different frozen meals I can fall back on, usually.

We've been grilling a lot, mostly brats and burgers with grilled sweet corn. This afternoon, I made a big batch of potato salad. I cooked an entire dozen eggs, so we have those in the fridge now for a quick snack.

Comment

We pretty much eat the same ole, same ole around here. DH has so many food allergies, he eats the same foods at every meal, every day of the week. Boring, yes, but his weight is stable. He likes the Anasazi beans, which aren't available everywhere. They are grown in SW Colo., so our local groc. stocks them. There are many Hispanics in this area, so pinto beans are readily available.

I've been using ground turkey instead of beef for years. I use it for any recipe that calls for ground beef -- spaghetti sauce, chili, soups, etc. I use the Jennie-O brand, 2 pkgs. of the 93% lean & 1 pkg. of the 99% when I mix up my turkey patties (usually makes 20-23 patties). I eat a patty every night for supper. I alternate vegs. & have a fruit. When I get bored, I'll get a chicken bowl from Chipotle's (makes 3 meals for me), or get Chinese (makes 2 meals), or buy Chick-fil-A. I love the chicken strips. If I eat out, which I haven't done since before the lock down, I like to get the white fish or the shrimp meal at Red Lobster. Many restaurants are open now, but I haven't ventured to do in person eating out yet.

Comment

I just had some pasta and broccoli for lunch. simple and quick. the microwave is my friend for left overs.

Comment

I’ve been making this for about 10 years, but only once or twice each year. We’ve been having this about once a week since being home due to Covid-19.

7BA591A8-17FB-47FE-A53A-A3A66319F692.jpeg
                    Avocado, cut in half & cut into chucks
                    1 can Albacore tuna, drained
                    1/4 cup chopped Cilantro
                    1/2 Jalapeño pepper, diced
                    1/2 medium onion, diced
                    5 mini sweet peppers, diced
                    1-1/2 Tablespoon lime juice
                    Kosher salt
                    Fresh ground pepper
                    Mix all of it together with a fork and scoop back into the shell of the Avocado.
                    We find it really refreshing and very filling.

Comment

• Hulamoon
                      Hulamoon commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I would eat that anytime! Only thing, by the time I can get a Hass avocado they are all brown inside. They grow Florida avos here, but only at farmers markets

• Paisley
                      Paisley commented
                      Editing a comment
                      We use avocado in place of mayo for alot of recipes. I can’t imagine not having the easy access we do. Sorry it’s not that way for you. Costco used to sell frozen avocado chunks and I wonder if that’s an option for you?
                  Working...
                  X