Grandma's Baked Beans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grandma's Baked Beans

This is the recipe for my grandma's "famous" baked beans. They were requested every time we had a potluck. If she didn't bring them there were a lot of unhappy campers!

3 cans (28 oz) Bush's Original Baked Beans
    1/2 to 3/4 cups brown sugar
    4 or 5 Tbsp molasses
    3 or 4 Tbsp yellow prepared mustard
    3/4 cup ketchup

Mix the above and season with salt & pepper. You can add cut up cubes of ham or salt pork. (I also have used ham bones in mine). Put in crock pot and heat on high until beans are hot (about an hour) and then bake on low for several hours. If dry you can add a little water and ketchup. Bake at least 5 to 6 hours.

Note: I do remove some of the "juice" from the cans as it can get a little too watery. I have found that it gets dry if you cook over 8 hours.

These beans keep in the refrigerator for a long time before spoiling and they freeze very well. I have leftovers, my grandmother did not because she fed a lot more people than I did. I normally use my grandmother's old crock pot (the one where the crock does not come out) but have used the 6 quart one without problems. Just watch the amount of liquid as it can spill over in the smaller one. Tip: I use the pie tray (the one you put under the pie while baking) to catch the juices so they don't run all over the counter.

Carlie

This sounds really good. I love Baked Beans.....I've tried several recipes over the years, and they're all good.....Thanks for the recipe!
    Jacqueline ( Sugar ) Dorer-Russell
    http:\\www.sugarssmilinpapercrafts.BlogSpot.com

"I miss the me I was when you were here"

Comment

I love baked beans. This recipe sounds so yummy...thank you!
      sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

This is very similar to the recipe I use except my doesn't call for the molasses and I grate a bit of onion in and I put them in the microwave till they're hot. The condensed version quick and easy and everyone loves them.

​​​​
        If you could choose to be anything choose kindness.

Visit my Flickr page, sewing and cakes!
        http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

www.pinterest.com/cathyfiebe/boards

Comment

Working...
        X