Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Murphy224
    commented on 's reply
    jjkaiser: here is my recipe for Chicken Pot Pie. I revised an allrecipes.com recipe and don't always do precise measurements. I also sometimes add a diced white potato if I have one.
    Chicken Pot Pie My version

1/3 stick butter
    ½ medium onion chopped
    1 cup carrots diced
    1 cup frozen green peas
    1/3 cup flour
    ½ tsp salt
    ¼ tsp black pepper
    2 cups chicken broth or one 12 oz can broth and water to make 2 cups
    1 cup half and half or less depending on how thick the sauce/gravy is
    2 unbaked pie crusts refrigerator not frozen kind
    2 to 3 cups chopped or shredded pre-cooked chicken (rotisserie works well)

Pre heat oven to 400.
    Melt butter in large pan, add onion and carrots and cook on medium heat until carrots are tender,
    Add flour, salt and pepper cook stirring constantly for about 2 min.
    Slowly add broth and stir to combine and sauce (gravy) thickens.
    Remove from heat, add half and half, then add chicken and frozen peas. Stir to combine.
    If topping with Biscuits:
    Pour pot pie mixture into 9x13 casserole dish or pan
    Top with biscuits…homemade rolled, drop, or store bought canned or frozen
    Bake at 400 about 30-35 minutes until biscuits are done. Cool about 10 minutes before serving.

If using pie crust. Roll out and place one crust in deep dish pie pan. Pour pot pie
    mixture into crust. Roll out second crust and place on top of pie, crimping both edges of crust together. Cut slits in top of crust to allow steam to escape.
    Bake at 400 about 30-35 minutes until crust is “golden brown and delicious”.
    Cool about 10 minutes before serving.
    Third method:
    Prepare filling in large oven proof skillet, top with crust or biscuits, and bake in oven. Works well and only one pan to clean.
    Adapted from this recipe from All recipes.
    https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/26...entType=Search

• grammaterry
    commented on 's reply
    oooh....that sounds great. Thanks.

• Hulamoon
    replied
    Originally posted by grammaterry View Post
    Whoa , you think you are limited on ingredients. I am so tired of the same o same o. We came to this rental Mar. 30 and were told to bring enough food for at least two weeks. I packed a freezer with what I had on hand and brought assorted canned goods and staples. Getting low now. Last night I made homemade bar b q sauce and DH really loved it. I have been internet surfing for recipes that use the ingredients I have on hand and have come up with quite a few interesting ideas. I read them until I find one that looks like things we might like or might order if we had gone out to a restaurant. Also occupies some of my boredom.
    Did you ever see this site https://feastie.com/ You put ingredients in and it finds recipes for you. You can get stuck there awhile. lol

Leave a comment:

• jjkaiser
    commented on 's reply
    I love cx pot pie but sometimes my sauce is so runny. Can you share your recipe for your sauce? I have a great recipe for Chinese brown gravy for chicken stir fry. I'll trade ya recipes.

• grammaterry
    replied
    Whoa , you think you are limited on ingredients. I am so tired of the same o same o. We came to this rental Mar. 30 and were told to bring enough food for at least two weeks. I packed a freezer with what I had on hand and brought assorted canned goods and staples. Getting low now. Last night I made homemade bar b q sauce and DH really loved it. I have been internet surfing for recipes that use the ingredients I have on hand and have come up with quite a few interesting ideas. I read them until I find one that looks like things we might like or might order if we had gone out to a restaurant. Also occupies some of my boredom.

Leave a comment:

• Murphy224
    replied
    Skillet Tamale Pie or Egg Roll in a Bowl using ground beef. With chicken, my go to is Chicken Pot Pie. Lately been making with rotisserie chicken in large oven proof skillet. Just cook up filling in skillet and top with one refrigerated pie crust. Pop in oven and dinner is served.

Leave a comment:

• SuzanneOrleansOntario
    replied
    I love to make chicken recipes. One of them is chicken and dumplings (or swap dumplings for egg noodles)

Cook chicken pieces, breast or whole in a stock pot. Add large chunks of carrots, onions and celery. Add salt,,pepper and I add chicken soup powder for flavour. Or you can cook in chicken stock. Remove chicken, debone if needed and cut in bite size pieces. Remove all from pot and bring liquid to a boil. In a separate bowl, mix flour with butter, 1 tsp baking powder & dash salt and water and drop by tbsp in boiling liquid. Cover for 5 mins. Return chicken & veggies to pot. Add frozen peas. Season to taste. As alternative to dumplings, cook broad egg noodles. Serve. Freezes well.
    For Daniel, you could add brocoli and corn, omitting peas. This is definitely not spicy and my family favorite.

Leave a comment:

• cjsews
    replied
    Porcupine balls are quick and easy

Leave a comment:

• jjkaiser
    replied
    Sloppy Joes
    3# ground chuck hamburger
    1 can tomato soup (don't add water or anything)
    1 med onion chopped
    1-2 bottles Heinz chili sauce (other brands are too vinegary)
    (#bottles depends on how saucy you like it)

This makes a large amount. For parties make on stovetop and put in crockpot. Also freezes well.

Got recipe from MIL over 25 years ago. We like it seved on hamb buns with slice of cheese.

Leave a comment:

• sydneybean
    replied
    There is also a Recipe forum on here. There's lots of good recipes there also!

Leave a comment:

• Hulamoon
    replied
    I got addicted to these for taco dinners or fill them with anything!
    Fiesta-Flats.jpg

I stopped buying pasta sauces and only use San Marzano whole tomatos for everything that calls for them, even chili. Makes a world of difference. I guess I pretty much made product changes instead of recipes. I don't eat red meat or pork so I'm no help there.. Good time for everyone to try that more often. 😋

Leave a comment:

• Momofmonsters5
    started a topic Favorite recipes

Favorite recipes

Good afternoon. I wanted to see if anyone had some favorite recipes. I've always cooked every day but never been this limited on ingredients. I use lots of boneless skinless thighs...no where you be found here. Lots of chicken legs ..or whole chickens. I cook a lot of Mexican, Chinese and rice dishes. Daniel, He's a picky eater as in he only eats plain food. Only veggies are broccoli and corn.

last night I made fish tacos and shrimp to mix it up. Tonight will be red enchiladas with beans and rice.

Any ideas for ground beef? What is your go to recipe? One I did buy ingredients for is nacho delight..you crush doritos up, lay them on a cookie sheet. Then top them with cooked ground beef, any veggies, top with cheese and put in the oven till the cheese melts. Very easy, my kids used to love it!

Thanks in advance, Rachel
Working...
X