Spices Storage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spices Storage

What is your favorite storage method? Pantry, cabinets, or drawers for storage? Any special containers that you use for them? Do you have favorite spices you keep on hand?

I use the 3 tier plastic steps for the kitchen cabinets. I can see the jar labels and easily find the right spice. I found shaker lids that fit small mason jars and like using them for some spices. I thought my inventory was pretty good, however, a recent recipe for short ribs called for a bay leaf. I didn't have any and they still tasted yummy.

I bought these on Amazon because I used to buy spices from an online company and they came in a bag.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...e?ie=UTF8&th=1

They are hanging on the inside of a pantry door where it's nice and dark and out of the way.🙈
    "People were created to be loved. Things were created to be used. The reason why the world is in chaos is because things are being loved and people are being used"― Dalai Lama XIV

Comment

I have two drawers next to my stove so I place the spices in their little bottles in there. For my home grown herbs I dehydrate them, put them in baggies and store them in the 2nd drawer. Nothing fancy :-)
      PS and oh sometimes I chop and freeze the fresh ones
      https://forum.missouriquiltco.com/co.../icon_wave.gif
      Women are Angels. When someone break's our wings we will continue to fly-usually on a broomstick.We're flexible like that.

Comment

Originally posted by Carlie Wolf View Post
        I have two drawers next to my stove so I place the spices in their little bottles in there. For my home grown herbs I dehydrate them, put them in baggies and store them in the 2nd drawer. Nothing fancy :-)
        PS and oh sometimes I chop and freeze the fresh ones
        I was reading to freeze them with water in an ice cube tray. So I can skip that part? I'm always letting my store bought herbs rot in the back of the fridge. I have the seeds to start a herb garden, got a little sidetracked with a bunch of things.
        "People were created to be loved. Things were created to be used. The reason why the world is in chaos is because things are being loved and people are being used"― Dalai Lama XIV

Comment

Originally posted by Hulamoon View Post

I was reading to freeze them with water in an ice cube tray. So I can skip that part? I'm always letting my store bought herbs rot in the back of the fridge. I have the seeds to start a herb garden, got a little sidetracked with a bunch of things.
          I'll tell you honestly I'm not sure. Other then that I do find that sometimes I purchased too many onions so now I tend to chop them up, freeze them and take it out in chunks when I need to include them in a recipe or fry them for a recipe.
          https://forum.missouriquiltco.com/co.../icon_wave.gif
          Women are Angels. When someone break's our wings we will continue to fly-usually on a broomstick.We're flexible like that.

Comment

• toggpine
            toggpine commented
            Editing a comment
            I freeze mine in 1 cup portions. That's about half of a large onion diced.
            (Actually I cheat even more. I buy the big bag of diced onions @ the business Costco and freeze them so I don't have to cry while chopping them!)

I usually order my spices from Penzy's. I love their Vietnamese Cinnamon, Double Strength Vanilla, and several of their spice mixes.
          Katrina

“Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.”
          ― Maya Angelou

Comment

I keep mine in the cabinet in the original bottles (I should start buying in bulk again) in pencil trays and can stack some of them because the small bottles sit down in the tray. I love the idea of fancy glass bottles with the labels. Grandma had her spices in glass bottles in a wooden spice rack that sat on her kitchen cabinet. Thank you Rhonda for bring back a happy memory.

Comment

I keep mine on turntables in the upper cabinet next to the stove. I have three turntables, one with baking things like nutmeg and the other two are done alphabetically. It make it very easy to find what I need and put back in letter order when finished using them. It might take a while to get used to but is easy eventually.

Comment

Love all of your ideas for the spices!

Yes, to Penzy's cinnamon. Another yes to alphabetizing them. It does help to keep them organized.

Comment

I also keep mine on turntables. One for baking, one for cooking. Would love to have it more organized but since DH likes to cook I'm just happy if he puts it away at all. LOL
                  No act of kindness, however small, is ever wasted.
                  Aesop

Comment

102_0634.JPG
                    Katrina

“Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.”
                    ― Maya Angelou

Comment

• KPH
                      KPH commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Here's my spice area, opposite the stove. While it's convenient to have them by the stove, the heat from the stove isn't good for the spices. Everything is labeled. Savory on the right, baking on the left. Larger containers on the top shelf.

Very nice spice organization! Love the labels so you know what is on each shelf. I'm sure it saves you time looking for the right one. Thanks!

Comment

Love Penzy's!
                      Michele

to the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world...

Comment

When we moved in our home, we had custom drawers installed in many cupboards. I store spices in these 2 drawers. I buy spices in bulk and dry many of my own. Spices I use more often get bigger jars. I realize after I took these pictures, it's that time of year to empty and clean drawer. Above stove, I keep large jars used to refill small ones.

i love my label maker.

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

Comment

Suzanne,

Love the custom drawers and all those spices! Those organizes will be in my dream kitchen.

Comment

Working...
                          X