Bread Recipes and/or Bread Machines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bread Recipes and/or Bread Machines

The Home Ec thread has sparked my desire to attempt bread making again. I found my two bread books on bread 101 but haven't read them again. They were stuffed in the back of a cabinet after a long ago attempt and forgotten. My friend mentioned bread flour and a bread machine yesterday during our conversation.

I remember watching my grandmother making bread in the olden days of 1960's so understand the general concept. I have AP flour on hand and found yeast packets yesterday.

What flour do you use? Bread machine?

Please post any favorite recipe or tips and tricks if you like.

I've made this before and it's pretty fool proof.

Foccacia by Tyler Florence
    https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/...142#reviewsTop

Makes a great sandwich!
    "People were created to be loved. Things were created to be used. The reason why the world is in chaos is because things are being loved and people are being used"― Dalai Lama XIV

Comment

When I baked bread regularly I used bread flour. Now I use all purpose because it's what I have on hand. Don't bake it like I used to.
      “What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world, is and remains immortal.”

― Albert Pine

Comment

I usually use white flour, sometimes self rising but not always. If making your own yeast generally wheat flours work best for "starting" the starter, as they ferment faster but personally I use white sometimes with a little rye added. Anyway, here are some recipes I've used:

Making yeast from scratch:
        https://www.leaf.tv/articles/how-to-...from-potatoes/

I usually then proceed to use that starter with this bread recipe: http://www.grouprecipes.com/52698/my...ato-bread.html

I have also liked the following read recipes although they use store bought yeast. I think you could as easily use 1 cup your own home made yeast per 1 teaspoon store bought yeast. You may have to play around with adjusting the amount of flour you later add. Homemade yeasts tend to take longer to rise so it could be several hours of rise time.

Crusty Italian Sanadwich Rolls: https://allourway.com/crusty-italian-sandwich-rolls/

The Ultimate Homemade Sandwich Rolls: https://www.thecuriouschickpea.com/t...andwich-rolls/

Light Airy White Bread - Bread Machine Dough Cycle Only

1 1/4 C milk
        2 tsp butter
        3 C flour
        1 tablespoon sugar
        3/4 tsp salt
        1 tsp yeast

Place liquid, herbs/spices, flour, yeast in machine bowl in order suggested for your machine. Turn on Dough cycle.
        Remove dough after cycle completes. Punch down and knead a bit, maybe 2 minutes. Pil pan, place dough, cover and let raise until double in bulk. Bakke 375 for 30 minutes. (Add 5 minute increments if not done) I usually add a roasting pan of water to the oven for nicer crust.
        https://forum.missouriquiltco.com/co.../icon_wave.gif
        Women are Angels. When someone break's our wings we will continue to fly-usually on a broomstick.We're flexible like that.

Comment

I've been baking bread for 55 years and experimented with all the bread recipes from all the books...but the best recipe was the one passed from my Great grandmother, to my grandmother to my mom and all her sisters. I tried tweeking it..but it doesn't need tweeking.
          So here are the hints to make it light
          I have discovered that flour with barley malt flour in it works best. Not self rising. Wheat is too heavy and makes a brick.

Start with scalding milk (use 1-4 cups depending on how much bread you want to make
          put 1 tablespoon crisco per 1 cup of milk into the pan
          2 tbsp sugar per 1 cup milk
          a dash of salt

Then cool your scalded milk to 120 degrees. If you are in a hurry...add crushed ice

in a cup of 115-120 degree water stir in 1 tbsp dry yeast for 1-2 cups milk or 2 for more milk

put all of this in a stand mixer when it is at the 115-120 degrees and add enough flour to make a really really sticky dough. I use the whisk on my machine. Continue beating with the whisk for 10-15 minutes. This will be a sticky loose batter.

Now, let it rise until double. Then put the bowl back under the stand mixer with your dough hook..not the whisk and add flour. Only add enough flour so that when you put your thumb which is coated in flour into the dough and it isn't sticky. Don't use too much flour. add it slowly...a 1/2 cup at a time.
          Now, continue mixing with the dough hook for at least 10 minutes. The larger the batch the longer you should beat it.
          Remove the mixing bowl and dump your dough into a crisco greased bowl twice as large as the amount of dough you have made. grease the top of the dough with crisco
          Cover with a warm damp towel and let it rise til double
          punch it down, fold it over a few times and let it rise again.Now you are ready to put it in baking pans for bread, rolls, cinnamon rolls etc.
          Let it rise again and bake in a hot oven at 375 for 35 min for loaf bread, 20-25 for rolls.

Walk in peace with the Lord by your side.
          Terry

Comment

Thank you ladies! These recipes and tips will certainly make a fun and yummy adventure in my kitchen

Comment

When I was a stay at home mom with kids still at home, I baked bread from scratch. I would make 6 loaves at a time. For the past several years I've been using a bread maker machine. I basically use the recipe from the booklet that came with the machine. I prefer to use organic, unbleached flour -- a mix half & half of whole wheat & white. However, DH has an allergy to wheat, so I buy spelt flour at my local natural grocers. The recipe calls for water (no milk), oil, flour, honey, salt, & yeast. I buy bulk yeast at the nat. groc. I prefer to use the dough cycle, which takes 90 min. Then I knead the dough, place it in a greased bread pan, let it raise ~ 25-30 min. & bake it in the oven. My oven seems to bake a bit unevenly, so I turn the pan half way through. I bake it for 1 hour, but I reduce the temp. to 325 F. for the last 15 min. I mix up a 2nd batch & do 2 loaves each time I bake.

Years ago I was "into" sourdough baking big time. I experimented with recipes. I made the starter from scratch & kept it fed on a regular basis. I have several books on SD, plus, I have a whole notebook of my hand written recipes that I tried over the years. That time period was prior to my developing Type 2 diabetes, when I could eat all those goodies. I've used SD in cookies, cakes, toppings for cobblers, & many kinds of bread.

I love the smell of baking bread in the house. Go for it!

Comment

Thank you Joy.

I have wondered about your spelt bread and what was involved with the process.

Comment

I make sour dough bread for myself. My recipe has oatmeal, bread flour, and whole wheat flour. This bread doesn't seem to raise my blood sugar (I'm a type 2 diabetic).

Comment

Working...
                  X