Saturday Greetings! :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Saturday Greetings! :)

Good Morning, Everyone ~ A chilly 20 deg. this a.m. In the night, it was very bright from the moon on the snow. After the snow quit yest. noon, we had maybe 3" total, so that wasn't bad. Other areas in the Denver Metro area got more snow than we did. The main streets are fine, but the side streets are snow packed. Our neighbor & his son shoveled our walk & driveway twice yest.

I finished the FMQ on the baby quilt yest. & trimmed the edges; it's ready for binding. I digressed from sewing to do some deeper vacuuming in my sewing room. I had borrowed the surge protector from that room to take to computer class. Before I put everything back, I needed to do some cleaning in that area. It's hard to vac. around the treadle sewing machine. I have to do it by hand with the attachments.

DH is waiting for breakfast, so it's on with my day.

Re: Saturday Greetings!

Good morning!

It is cold this morning, with peeks of sunshine. We're expecting light snow later today. Tomorrow looks to be a slushy mess -- snow, sleet and rain. We had ice and some snow yesterday -- just enough to make the morning commute a mess.

I'm going to visit Mom this afternoon. I took a vacation day on Wednesday to celebrate her 90th birthday. She was a little feisty when my sister and I first arrived, but after half an hour she calmed down and we had a good visit. We were supposed to meet with the facility care team while we were there. They scheduled it at Noon, which is when I said we would be having lunch with Mom. Of course the director was too busy to meet later in the day. They haven't contacted me to reschedule, so I'm going to send the director an email with my list of concerns.
    DSCN0534.jpg

I'm looking forward to spending some time in sewing room today. One disadvantage of having a manual sewing machine is, once you've found the sweet spot for the perfect 1/4 inch seam, if you use a different stitch -- like a zig-zag -- you have to find that sweet spot all over again. It's amazing how being off by just hair makes a difference. Then I can finally start sewing my spring twist quilt together. The fabric for the border & backing arrived the other day.

Have a wonderful Saturday!

Comment

Good morning all,

It's a sunny and minus 20 Celsius day. It may warm up to -14. If I go out, it will be short runs. Yesterday I cleaned the driveway with snowblower. There was about 10". Then another 4" accumulated and had to clean off mess from street plow. Second time, I just moved snow to other half of driveway intending to gear up and do it later. I like to keep one lane clear for emergencies. In the meantime, our neighbour came over and did it with his blower. Thank God for good neighbours. I had to scold DH to get back in house. With his surgery, not supposed to lift weight. I told him I did not want to have repeat of mom's experience following cataract surgery, which has left her with no vision in one eye. Long story I'd rather not remember.

In the afternoon, I went to sewing room, and challenged myself with a quick project. I made a quilt with big blocks. Fabric was cheerful and reminds me of spring. It will make for good practice of FMQ. I think there are other fabrics I might pull for quick quilts.

image.jpg image.jpgl

I decided not to go to sale of treadle machine. While I would love to have one, right now is not a good time to try and fit into the house. There was other interesting antiques I would have also loved. I have to remember the downsizing I have done over the years for aging parents.

Enjoy your day. Be warm and dry. Stay safe.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

Comment

happy Saturday friends,
        ah the vacuuming round the treadle, we cheated and put a board with stick on fake vinyl wood underneath the treadle, (brads sat on the off cut, which is now use as the cutting board) for us we have carpet, makes an easier dust brush pass, the boards about the vacuum width from the skirting board to give an air gap around the outside of room hope your vacuuming goes ok Jcy.

happy birthday month to your mum Julie.

What a night its been here, gales, and rain /hail , we could not sleep so got up, made gluten free bread.
        For a change used the mixers whisk attachment to whisk the 1kg of gf flour, yeast, sugar, xgum, before adding the olive oil, vinegar, egg whites and water, (the recipe is on back of gf flour packet in Uk,)
        the dough mix came out like angel delight, soft and bubbly, (not pink) this seems to be the right texture for gluten free bread.
        We made 3 loafs, 12 buns,to make my buns put some of the dough mix in some Christmas pudding moulds,
        all proved on the warm boiler, himself was transporting between boiler oven and rack,
        it seems using electric oven doing during night made oven hotter!!, and started to melt said moulds, even with the water on bottom shelf, thankfully no plastic departed onto the bread, so that was the twilight baking adventure.
        We slept in this morning,
        today we too have vacuuming, after a down draught caused some fire dust from the fire room heater with a door, to venture upwards.

sending virtual cookies, with get well wishes, x virtual hot chocolate to all
        have a great day
        T

Comment

Good start to the weekend, we had hail this morning that woke me up. It was loud but didn't last too long. More rain is on the way and there has been road flooding in low spots. Our area is fairly hilly, the remnants of the Smoky mountains but of course where there are hills there are also valleys.
          My podiatrist appointment yesterday was great, nothing more to do but wear shoes with arch support. No more spending my days in slippers.
          They had information about a stimulator device [Veinoplus]to help with poor leg circulation, My dh is going on Monday to see if it might help his legs. Anyone know anything about them?

Comment

Good Morning....We have an appt with our vet this morning for Sugar. She has skin allergies that are getting worse despite taking Apoquel. It's always an adventure going to the vet with Westies. Last time they almost started a riot. Dottie was so well behaved in every situation. Westies are high strung little beings. Our Little Ladies never back down from a challenge.

Suzanne, you really have a mess on your hands with the snow. Take care so you don't hurt yourself.

It's time for us to load up the Ladies and go. Have a great day everyone.
            sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

Good Morning All,

I'm late to the party, but I've been busy- sweeping and mopping. I've pulled together my tax papers, I'm still missing some paperwork. So no appointment for me next week.

I'm going to be looking for a zipper pouch tutorial, I've used before. I just want to review the zipper tabs and lining instructions. I think I remember, but better to check out the details than to be sorry later.

Mike will be home from work around 2. I still have some time to get this little project done.

Have a great day! Be creative!
              Katrina

“Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.”
              ― Maya Angelou

Comment

Katrina ~ I haven't even started on my taxes! Ugh! All the 1099 statements from banks, etc. are supposed to be delivered by Jan. 31. I think everything finally came. Our CPA provides a wonderful work sheet -- just fill in the blanks. It really helps to organize everything.

It's sunny & on its way to the 40's today. I need to get some mail ready.

Comment

You all have been so industrious today! I couldn't sleep last night so I slept in this morning and then woke up with a headache. Been sitting here drinking my coffee and reading. I really need to get busy. My washing machine quit this week so I need to look for a new one. That means a trip to the laundromat at some point this weekend. UGH! Otherwise, not much going on...at least that I'm aware of! It's always subject to change. :-) Have a great weekend everyone and keep warm.

Comment

Low key day for me today. Yesterday was a stormy day with heavy rain and very strong wind gusts. I was just finishing up my vacuuming when I heard a loud bang outside and the power went off in an instant. Sounded like a transformer blew. I called National Grid to report it. Power was out in our neighborhood for about 8 hours, temps outside had dipped into the mid-20's and the house got down to 56 before power was restored. God bless the crew who worked in that bitter cold and wind to restore our services.
                    Today I'm working on the Kaffe coin quilt. The sashing is quilted, not sure how to quilt the coins.
                    Stay warm everyone!
                    Last edited by chelea; February 8th, 2020, 12:02 PM.
                    Michele

to the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world...

Comment

Chelea ~ I have some Kaffe Fassett fabric just waiting for me to get to it. Since seeing him in person & hearing his lecture last fall, I've been more interested in browsing his books. I ordered some used books from Thrift Books. I want to make his pattern called Shuttles. I also have a layer cake I plan to use for the Japanese Cross and Plus pattern. Donna Jordan uses some of his fabrics in several of her tutorials. One of these days I want to try her Balancing Act pattern, but I'll use stash FQs for that.

I was just reading that one area of the mts. got 51" of snow with these latest storms! It all depended if one was under one of those snow bands. Some areas got a big dump, & others hardly any. We're having a sunny day & mid-40's. Colder again tomorrow.

Comment

Crazy day at work today!
                        Was hoping to sew but not in the cards.
                        Going to a Mardi Gras party tonight
                        Have a wonderful day!!!
                        Happy Quilting!

Comment

JCY...that Shuttles pattern looks like it would be fun to stitch. It looks like mosaic tiles. I love this one with dark background and bright border:

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-0VaPBvpyC...0/IMG_0389.jpg
                          Michele

to the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world...

Comment

Chelea ~ That's a dif. mix of fabrics from the one in his book. Hmmm, I may have to re-think fabric choices.

Comment

Working...
                            X