Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good Monday Morning

Good Morning All,

It's a home school/ family dinner day. I'll be busy. Mike wants meatloaf. I've pulled three pounds of hamburger from the freezer. Hopefully, that will be enough! The kids are getting bigger and eating more! Mashed potatoes, and peas will fill out the menu. Some other unknown veggie will join the party. Nothing really sounds good at this time in the morning.

Yesterday, I started pressing the trimmed triangles. I stopped when I had 6 sets of 4 squares of one fabric. It threw me, or maybe I was just too tired to think of my multiplication tables. There must have been 3 pieces of that particular fabric. Anyway, I'm keeping them in sets of 4 to help with the lay out of the different squares (Calico Stars tutorial).

Best get busy, boy will be here before I know it. Have a great day!
    Katrina

“Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.”
    ― Maya Angelou

Re: Good Monday Morning

Thanks for starting us off this morning, Katrina.

Snow, wet snow, snowed all day. Not much accumulation except where the plow left it at the end of the driveway. Our plow guy just came by and moved that snow so hubby could get out of the driveway.

Not much happened here this weekend. I spent most of it quilting, BUT the frame broke at the leg yesterday. A job for my brother to fix at some point. So I am back to the pvc frame that I liked better anyway.

I already have a turkey in the oven for supper. Hubby works today. I may have to go up on the roof today and clear some snow. I will wait a little later for that.

Terribly sad news about Kobe Bryant and his daughter and the other passengers aboard that fateful flight. Thoughts and prayers to all those touched by this tragedy.

Have a great day everyone.
    Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Comment

Good Morning, Everyone ~ I have a busy day ahead. This morning will be chicken soup prep. I did the veg. prep. yest. afternoon. I need to get an early start on things, b/c I need to be done by noon. I have a computer W-10 workshop this afternoon. We'll make another attempt to transfer my files from my W-7 laptop to the new one.

Yest. a.m. I mixed up my turkey patties. Three lbs. makes enough for 3 wks. In the eve. I did some browsing for intercoms and an adapter for the speaker plug. I think I want intercoms that are plugged into power, not wireless, so there's no chance of others tuning in to our frequency. It looks like they cost anywhere from $50. on up. My son said he'd help me set them up. DH said he no longer feels capable of doing it.

There's a chance of a rain/snow mix later today. No accumulation.

Comment

Good Morning everyone, Happy Monday!
        I for one really like Monday. It's a chance to start again, everything from last week is over and done.

It's going to be another overcast gloomy looking day, and there are clouds above me that are trying to snow, but just can't quite get it done. That's fine with me. Only 54 days until Spring. But I'm not counting or anything.........

Yesterday was a good day. I cut the binding strips for a UFO that has been years in the making and got them clipped to the quilt. Today I'll get it sewn. I haven't decided if I'm going to do the back side by hand or machine. My hands have been really painful lately, so I'm leaning toward machine finishing, but I like the look of hand sewing better.

I'm still trying to decide on quilting patterns for the crazy quilt. I don't want to pay money for designs, but the ones that come on my machine just don't suit the quilt. I'm going to call OESD today to see if I can use the patterns that are labeled Longarm....they're the ones that are big enough for the blocks. Otherwise I'd have to enlarge the design and use four of then in each block.

Time to get sewing, it's finally light enough to see what I'm doing. I hope you all have a wonderful day!
        Barbara

Comment

Good morning,

Monday rolled right in again so it's office time today. A few month-end tasks that I like to do today. They can get marked off the to-do list. I'm almost caught up with everyone else on the Poppins bag. We will finish in class on Thursday. I changed a few techniques along the way and may attempt a second one.

Barbara, What size blocks do you need for quilting? What type of design do you want? Theme? Good luck!

Comment

Good luck with the embroidery machine quilting. I once used some redwork designs that worked out well, not too dense for a quilt.
            I am plugging away at that B Hunter mystery, whew, each block has about 60+ pieces. I have lots of flying geese and hst ready to sew then my units will be ready to sew into rows. The sashing has not been cut yet, so much more to come.
            Today is our first day at the new gym, I have been a slug for more than two months so I expect to be sore tomorrow but it will be good for me, I'm sure it will be good for me.

Comment

Good morning all,

Sunday's snow is cleared from driveway, down to pavement, and temps are hovering above zero, so will be slushy on roads. I finished sewing on all 3 borders on the disappearing 9 patch. It's 81 x 95". I also attached binding on a VQC quilt and handsewed it all while lasagna dinner was warming up & while watching TV. I'm getting faster at handsewing ~this one was 52x72". One more quilt to finish before next Monday's meeting. So I will do later today after I bring DH to dental appt. I applied Bio-Freeze to my shoulder and took Tylenol Arthritis, so I was able to get thru day with minimal pain.

Do any of you dream of quilting? I have fabric / sewing room dreams, cutting fabrics into shapes and finishing quilts. Sometimes after I wake up, I head to sewing room and those fabrics make it to the top of project list. Am I too focussed or just obsessive / addicted? I noticed that these tend to be my most restful sleeps.

Monique - be careful clearing snow off roof, especially since there may be a layer of ice. Do you wear cleats?
              Katrina - I think I need to make some freezer meat loaves. I find easy freezer meals so nice to pull out when I want to spend more time sewing.
              Claire - we both need to get back to exercising, even it's just walking distances. My middle is spreading and I just don't like that, especially since I don't want to upsize my closet.

Enjoy your day!

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

Comment

Good morning! This weekend was the big agriculture dinner and auction that I am on the committee. On Friday, we were finishing up the last of the items. I was filling cornholes bags for the cornhole game that was being auctioned as I had sewed the bags on Thursday night. Holly, Ruth, and I made baby quilt and table runner as part of the silent auction and a t-shirt quilt for the live auction. The three of us both agreed that we would get an earlier start for the auction next year since we were doing these in December and January. Of course, the original plan of quilt was one that the NCAA would not approve (because it had current college basketball players on it) so I didn't think we would be doing anything this year. That changed when we were asked to make the above items in late November plus Holly was asked to make an apron which went with a ice cream fun basket. There were a lot of very nice items in the auction. The rough estimate of both the live auction items and silent action items of how much was brought in for the night was over $12,000 which all goes for scholarships for agricultural students at the local university. The money is divided into $500 scholarships which means we have over 24 scholarships available for the 2020-21 school year. We are already working on a list of ideas for next year auctions.

Yesterday was a quiet day at home. Little one had a horrible night and didn't get to sleep until 3am. So I stayed home to let him sleep and sent the others to church. I finished some paperwork from the auction. It was a peaceful and quiet Sunday.

Today I may get to the sewing room to work on a charity donation baby quilt. I have started a list of items that I would like to do for the Secret Santa monthly themes. By the way, today's daily deal of Wilmington Essentials - In the Pink 5 Karat Gems would be perfect for the May Pretty in Pink theme. And it is not too late to join our Secret Santa group this year Hint Hint

Have a great Monday everyone

Comment

Good morning. Our community is sad today. Kobe went to one of the local high schools here. They named the gym after him. Such a tragedy.
                  I worked out this morn and came home t make phone calls to schedule appts. I have PT later. I did pin a row on my quilt yesterday and picked up the quilt I left with 5he longarmer.
                  Still looking to to get my craft-sewing mojo back.

Monique— be careful getting on your roof. My DH takes care of a lot of people who fall out of trees and off a roof.
                  Beth

Comment

Good Morning....I'm having a good day. So far Maggie seems to feel better.

The sun is shining and it's warmer today so the last of our snow and ice should melt off. We have more freezing weather on the way.

Jeff went back to work today and the house feels so quiet. Even Sugar is quiet today.

I finished the binding on another quilt yesterday. I will post pictures soon.

Tomorrow I need to devote to getting our taxes in order to send to our accountant. I will try to check in long enough to say hi in the morning.

Take care everyone and have a great day. Hugs....Barb
                    sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

It's Monday & I can say yippee! Got 1 of 3 baby quilts completed, only 2 to go. Actually, all I have to do is sandwich & quilt & THEN they'll be completed. Hope everyone's having a happy Monday.

While I'm not a basketball fan it was really awful about Kobe Bryant. My prayers for all the families.

Gina

Comment

Whelp, my big ticket item for the house will be installed in March. Signed the contracts today, I'm getting 2 Tessla battery walls to go with the solar panels. SO even if the power grid is knocked out, I can still have power from my solar panels. Every morning, the batteries will charge and it will be more than enough energy to run the house all night. Plus, the tax incentives, plus the rebate from JEA, it will make it even more affordable.

I've been thinking about it since the last two hurricanes. It just makes more sense than having just a generator. I like the fact that I'll be using even less of JEA's energy.
                        Katrina

“Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.”
                        ― Maya Angelou

Comment

The blocks in the crazy quilt are 9 7/8 square and I'm looking for a flower/leaf theme.
                          Barbara

Comment

Originally posted by BarbaraB View Post
                            The blocks in the crazy quilt are 9 7/8 square and I'm looking for a flower/leaf theme.
                            Perhaps there is something here.

https://www.anitagoodesign.com/technique/free-motion/

Check the one "monochrome". Different block designs that might work for your quilt.

https://swpea.com/collections/quilts...-in-the-hoop-1

Comment

Working...
                            X