The Santo Tomas Fair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Santo Tomas Fair

Good morning everyone in the forum, I hope they are well even if the snow and rain have visited them. Another week has passed and we are approaching Christmas, so today I am going to tell you a tradition of those holiday that is celebrated in my country and I have celebrated it since I was little. Now I am going to explain why we celebrate this party, in the nineteenth and mid-twentieth centuries houses and farmland were owned by wealthy lords who rented them to families to take care of them and according to December 21, Santo Tomas day, the tenants came to the large cities to pay the rent of the year and since they had no money they brought animals, legumes, and vegetables for the lords, they also brought some preserves to sell and be able to take home the things they need, and then The Santo Tomas Fair began to be celebrated. Today these houses and lands were sold to the people who inhabited it, some of whom had been there all their lives, because their ancestors already looked after the fields, but the fair continues to be held and they come the farmers from all villages and people go to buy autochthonous products and enjoy a fun day with friends eating "Talo with chorizo" a kind of cornmeal tortilla and typical pork sausage with red pepper sauce that dries to the sun and gives the meat a very beautiful reddish color and a fantastic flavor, and that accompanied by an autochthonous white wine called "Txakoli". As you see we love parties, dancing and eating but always in the company of family and friends. I hope you liked my story and the photos I show you. Greetings. RosarioA -1-SANTO TOMAS - BILBAO--SAN SEBASTIAN.jpgA - 2 SANTO TOMAS.-.BILBAO - SAN SEBASTIAN.jpgA - 3- SANTO TOMAS - BILBAO - SAN SEBASTIAN.jpgA - 4 - SANTO TOMAS - BILBAO - SAN SEBASTIAN.jpgA - 5 -SANTO TOMAS - TALOS - BILBAO.jpgA - 6 -SANTO TOMAS - BILBAO - DONOSTI.jpgA - 7 -SANTO TOMAS- BILBAO - SAN SEBASTIAN.jpgA - 8 - SANTO TOMAS...BILBAO - SAN SEBASTIAN.jpgA - 9 -SANTO TOMAS-. BILBAO - SAN SEBASTIAN.jpgA - 10 -SANTO TOMAS..- BILBAO -SAN SEBASTIAN.jpg

Re: The Santo Tomas Fair

What a wonderful celebration! Thank you for sharing the pictures :-)

Comment

These are great treasures of history and tradition. I'm honoured that you are sharing with us. Thank you.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

Comment

Thanks for sharing. So colorful. When I visited the Netherlands, I so enjoyed their weekly markets in the town square.

Comment

Thank you for sharing the story of the Santo Tomas tradition. The pictures help bring it to life. Looks like a lot of fun.
          Ginny B

http://www.ginnyscraftbasket.wordpress.com

Comment

What a wonderful history lesson! Thank you for sharing this with us.
            Toni ... If I keep sewing long enough, will they make their own dinner?

Comment

Thank you so much, that is interesting" I like learning about other cultures, your people always look so happy. Have a good holiday, thank you again.

Comment

Thanks for sharing. Those round tortilla looking pancakes on the big griddle--That lady doesn't look tall enough to reach them to turn them over. This looks like so much fun. Bet it smells wonderful there.

Comment

Thank you for sharing your culture and traditions with us.
                  Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Comment

Rosario - I love reading the stories and seeing the wonderful pictures of your land. Thank you so much for sharing.

Comment

What a great Celebration!!! I love learning about activities like this...community is everything.
                      Sandy B.
                      "A heart that gives will never be empty."

Comment

Working...
                      X