X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• laura44
    replied
    Re: The wish book

We got the Sears book. I would always circle everything I wanted. Always wanted
    the baking sets and mixes for my 2nd hand Easy Bake Oven. We were poor, so it
    definitely was a "wish" book. Fun to look thru and see all the styles of clothing.

Leave a comment:

• Over40momma
    replied

Ok, who is going to admit the first one they looked at was their birth year? lol I remember the Sears catalog too....and yep, ours ended up in the outhouse too-but not til spring! Great memories, thank you.

Leave a comment:

• URIBARRI-MAYOR
    replied

Well I must say that I have not had any of those catalogs in my hands, but my father was doing the Spain-United States route with arrival in New York from 1945-1955, and always brought things from there, first for my mother and since 1950 also for his daughters, so seeing the catalogs of those years I have remembered those combinations, nightgowns and bras that he brought to my mother and that I still have them in my memory, and for us he brought wonderful dolls, accessories for toy kitchen and also something big and wonderful, a tractor that was the size of a bicycle small and that both my sister and I enjoyed it for many years and that I still have it and my husband has renewed it painted it with all the original letters. So Terry thanks for the link. I´ll keep looking at it more times

Leave a comment:

• grammaterry
    replied

This link was passed to me from DH who found it on his gun forum. They have the most interesting things they share on that forum. I haven't had time to remind my memories but I do remember going to my cousins house and we would take the book and read it together. It was what we did instead of television. And yes, the paper doll models. And the boys loved the lingerie ads. Oh my, what we have lost when the print ads have all but disappeared. I can't imagine how the children today decide what they want for Christmas and I don't think they really can imagine how it might be to have it all there on the pages to choose from

Leave a comment:

• jjkaiser
    replied

My sister also says thank you lol

Leave a comment:

• KarenC
    replied

Thanks for sharing. 1966 was one I remember fondly. That year, we found Santa's gifts hidden in the attic, so of course, we jotted down the numbers on the packages and went and searched the catalogs to check if we were getting what we asked for. My mom was so mad at my sister and I that year. Sure enough, I checked and found that little mosaic kit in the catalog just now. Brought back fond memories.

Leave a comment:

• jjkaiser
    replied

Imagine my surprise when I peeked inside a random catalog and saw my prized, and what I thought was SO expensive at the time, Betsy McCall doll for $1.98!!! Oh looking at these is going to be so much fun! Thank you thank you for finding this! I am saving this for later as my reward for finishing my shopping, baking, and (almost finished) wrapping.

Leave a comment:

• auntstuff
    replied

I can remember our Sears catalog always ending up in the outhouse...

Leave a comment:

• Hulamoon
    replied

How fun! thanks!

Leave a comment:

• CraftyJnet
    replied

Thank you for sharing. I remember looking at the Wards catalog every Christmas and wishing for things.

Leave a comment:

• KPH
    replied

Thanks for posting. What wonderful memories!

Leave a comment:

• JCY
    replied

I bookmarked this site so I can go back & browse later when I have more time. Thanks for posting, Terry. It seems like we usually had catalogs. Some places where we lived were either small towns or in a rural area, not close to major shopping. We loved to browse those catalogs. Long before we had credit cards, we wrote out the order the old way & mailed in a check. When my boys were pre-school age, I ordered all their Christmas gifts from either Sears or Mont. Wards; we lived in a small town. "Those were the days, my friend..." How times have changed. It also seems like we also cut out some of the models to make paper dolls. I wonder if anyone plays with paper dolls anymore? Kids today are too addicted to their electronics; probably most of them never heard of paper dolls!

Leave a comment:

• minipinlady
    replied

This link really was a wonderful thing to share ! My gods I remember my kids sitting with a shared wish book for hours. I went to the 1980 one and searched the star wars toys. There was the page my sons wore right out from looking at it so often and wishing. They even took the book to show Santa at the mall. Thank you with all my heart for adding such a vividness to wonderful memories of the past. Time had faded them but seeing the pictures takes me back to the very moment and how real it still feels after 39 years. Later I will look at the 1956 one my mom loved.

Leave a comment:

• NancyH
    replied

Thank you for sharing. I remember growing up it always seemed just a little more like Christmas when the Christmas catalogs came in the mail and we got our new 'Twas the Night Before Christmas" coloring books. What fond memories.

Leave a comment:

• sydneybean
    replied

Originally posted by bubba View Post
    We never got catalogs. Probably because we had no charge cards. I had to go to my friends if I wanted to see them.
    I'm sure my mom and dad didn't have charge cards back then. We still got the Sears and Penney's wish books. Not sure about the Montgomery wards

Leave a comment:

Working...
X