Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good Monday Morning

Good Morning All,

We'll probably have more than one starting thread this morning, I didn't see one started.

Yesterday, the church band was huge! The stage was full and they really sounded great. Jim was on base. Zeke's favorite song was the last of the morning. Nandy went and picked up the kids during the offertory. Ding Dong Merrily On High (the new version) was so upbeat and Zeke was enthralled.

I stitched up all of the hexies last night for the tea towels. This afternoon, I'll stitch them together and put on the decorative buttons. Hopefully after dinner tonight they'll be done and I can find bags for them to put with the Christmas stuff.

J is supposed to be here for home school this morning. I have math for the week ready, but I'll have to see what's in his book bag for the rest of our work. If it's like last week, it will weigh a ton. Apparently, Dad isn't bringing him, so I don't know if he'll get to work on his butterfly... well, maybe he'll work on his butterfly instead of something else.

There is an amber alert out, since 11:30 yesterday two little kids. Last Amber alert here didn't turn out well. Mom tried to commit suicide when her daughter's body was found not far from the Mom's family home. I hope this family has a happier resolution.

Talked to my MIL last night. She got the package with the pictures, but she didn't get a gift certificate from the dance studio that Joe (BIL) goes to in Carmel. I'll be calling them later to find out where they sent it, because I paid for it on my CC. I hope they didn't send it to his ex-wife! Mercy!

Prayers for those in need and prayers of thanksgiving for all of our many blessings.
    Katrina

“Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.”
    ― Maya Angelou

Re: Good Monday Morning

Thanks Katrina for starting us off this morning. Well what a weekend it was!! Friday I made some towels toppers and they turned out okay. I discovered a few things that I can do with my sewing machine. I had to make buttonholes and did those quite well. Then for the first time EVER I sewed the buttons on with my machine. So much easier.

Saturday we went to an auction sale. Nothing for me but hubby got a few things. It rained all day. We stopped for supper but the way home wasn't the greatest. The rain would change from rain to snow to rain. The roads were just starting to get nasty. I took my time and drive easy. By the time I got home the highway had been closed one way headed back to Ottawa. That is the way I came home. Whewww. Never so glad to be home.

Well with all this rain and then changing to snow our electricity went out at about 1:30am Sunday morning and didn't come back on until 10:30pm last night. I will tell you it was mighty cold here in this house. I wore many layers. When the power came back on it was 7C or 45F. Luckily I have a camp stove and was able to make myself a cup a tea and I made breakfast for us as well. My shoulder is really sore and I think I may have bursitis in it. Hubby works days today so I have decided that today is/was supposed to THE cleaning day. Not sure how much I will get done today with this arm. Tomorrow I have Victoria's Quilts and it is our luncheon as well. If my arm isn't better by then, I shall go and see about my arm after lunch.

So today is cleaning day. As much as I would love to sew I REALLY need to get some cleaning done.

On that note, have a great day everyone and stay warm. Looks like it is going to be an extremely cold week.
    Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Comment

Good Morning, Everyone ~ Christmas is coming up fast. I'm still working on Christmas mail. Other than groceries, I don't have any shopping to do. We don't exchange gifts. I send $ to the gr. kids so they can get what they want. I'll need to do some house cleaning before my gr. dau. comes, but the mail takes precedence.

Per my other thread, I gave an update on my niece, who is home from the hosp. No more time this a.m.

Today will be the usual Mon. laundry & working on Christmas mail.

Comment

Good morning forum friends,
        Those inches of snow we got over the weekend are here to stay, but it looks like a pretty winter wonderland. Just enough snow. No more, thank you.

I am obviously overwhelmed and not resting enough. I couldn't fall asleep even though I was tired. I debated getting up to do things. Yesterday I ran errands, groceries, gas and bank. I was gone 2hrs. When I got back DH was laying down. He thinks he tore the knee cartilidge in good knee, twisted ankle going up the stairs. This happened to other knee 2 decades ago, and he says the pain is the same. Of course he didn't want to go to emerg. He's been icing and elevating it. I took out mom's walker at his request. I wrapped ankle before I had to go to my DD. I gave my GS his quilt and all the kids were thrilled. I think I will have to make the youngest one a hockey quilt sooner than later. I helped them make a batch of cookies, but oh I can see that my DD is stressed. She's got another cold, and this momma knows she's running on fumes. Then when I got home, I realized that I left the chicken breasts I bought on the counter - 2 hrs. I'm not going to take a chance. I froze it but will throw out on garbage day. I didn't want it smelling in the garage. I will have to get more as I had planned to make freezer meals with it.

Today my GFs are coming over to quilt and they want to try their hand at FMQ on my SS. I may make some quilt sandwiches for them to practice on first. I hope this will be fun and a day away from obligations.

Toni - your home is beautiful. Any buyer in the market in your area would be foolish to let it sit. My mom used to put a medal, can't recall which saint in the front flower bed when any of us put up our houses for sale. None of them sat long.
        NancyH - sorry this time of year is difficult for you and your mom. It's never easy, but the memories can bring joy.
        Katrina - can you send me some of your energy. Please. Pretty please.
        Monique - glad you made it home safe. Power outages freak me out. This makes me want to push DH to get generator attached to house. A friend of ours did that as he her DH has CPAP & may be on home dialysis in near future.

Have an enjoyable day. Please be safe on the roads, especially in stormy areas. Stay warm a nd stay dry.
        Last edited by SuzanneOrleansOntario; December 16th, 2019, 06:28 AM.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

Comment

We just had the popcorn removed from the ceilings. Today, the crew is doing all the prep work to begin painting. They told me first thing that they'll be making tons of dust today, so I'm sequestered in my bedroom and surfing the internet. I brought plenty of water in here and a few snacks. I'll be able to emerge when they take a break for lunch.

The crew is a really nice trio of men. I can hear them chatting with each other, and they're super pleasant with each other. The contractor came highly recommended from the real estate office we used. Reasonably priced, quite competent, and pleasant—we just couldn't ask for more! Fortunately they showed up a bit late today ... my alarm failed to ring and I overslept by half an hour!

I also got my new dishwasher installed this morning. When we bought this home, I'd thought we'd need to replace all the appliances. But the fridge, stove and microwave are all quite nice. Not so the dishwasher; I couldn't tell if the tines were all rusted or if they were moldy. Even the home inspector suggested we get a new dishwasher ASAP! I'm very happy to have my new Bosch dishwasher. I got the kind with the third rack on top for flat items or silverware. I was always feeling like a whisk or a long knife took up so much room in the upper rack, this was a really important feature for me.

@Monique, between traffic and the cold, you've had it pretty rough. I'm glad to know you got home safely and that you were able to keep the cold at bay.

@Suzanne, thank you for taking a look at our house. We're sorry to leave it, but glad to be near family again. I'll bet your mother put a St. Joseph medal in the bushes; he's known for helping sell houses. In fact, there's a current trend to bury a St. Joseph statue upside down in the backyard to make your home sell faster. We didn't do that. A friend of mine once said he thought that sounded awfully disrespectful to St. Joseph, and I'm inclined to agree. But a medal in the front as a kind of physical prayer? This is more up my alley!
          Toni ... If I keep sewing long enough, will they make their own dinner?

Comment

Good afternoon! It was a fun weekend. On Friday, I helped set up for our sew day on Saturday and had a Fun Friday Family night - we ordered pizza and watched a movie together. Saturday was Sew Day at a local store where I was teaching a simple tablerunner. Sadly, we had one lady who fell over her grandson's dumbbells and hurt her wrist. She won't be able to sew for a while. So I pieced her tablerunner top together because she is wanting to use it at the Christmas family dinner. I had already made a table runner as the pattern and sampler for this class.

Yesterday was the Adult Worship Christmas Program. There was snow on the ground but we were able to make it to church as our middle son was in the play part of the program. Afterwards a quick trip to pick up lunch and a few groceries. We stayed in the rest of the day and I was able to get some sewing done. I have three more blocks to make then I can put the quilt together.

Today is a stay at home day until the college basketball game tonight. Not looking forward to getting out with the cold but by this evening, the roads should be clear as the snow has stopped and we don't have far to go as it is all in town roads.

Have a good Monday everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarGramma View Post
              I also got my new dishwasher installed this morning. When we bought this home, I'd thought we'd need to replace all the appliances. But the fridge, stove and microwave are all quite nice. Not so the dishwasher; I couldn't tell if the tines were all rusted or if they were moldy. Even the home inspector suggested we get a new dishwasher ASAP! I'm very happy to have my new Bosch dishwasher. I got the kind with the third rack on top for flat items or silverware. I was always feeling like a whisk or a long knife took up so much room in the upper rack, this was a really important feature for me.
              You will love this dishwasher! That is the Bosch I have too. I love the 3rd rack, it is incredibly quiet and gets everything really clean. I love it almost as much as my sewing machine That is saying something.

Comment

~ Popcorn ceilings ~ We have that in our living room & hallway. We've never disturbed it or painted it. It probably has asbestos in it. It still has some of those sparkles in it.

~ Suzanne ~ Chicken left out - always better to be safe than sorry. If it's midweek & I have meat scraps or other things that would stink up the garbage, I put them in plastic bags & freeze them until trash day.

~ Dishwashers - We bought a new one earlier this year. It's a Crosley, which I think was made by Whirlpool. It's the most quiet D/W I've ever heard. It's a much longer run time than our previous Maytag was -- one hour, 23 min. for the light cycle, which I use because I pre-rinse everything.

I'm getting the yen to sew, but alas, there will be no time until after the Christmas holidays. As soon as all the Christmas mail gets sent, I'll need to focus on house cleaning to get ready for my gr. dau's visit, & just because it needs to be done anyway. I think we finally figured out our dinner menu, which will not be the traditional holiday fare, but something less stressful & easier to make. It's a family favorite which I don't often make, since it takes quite a long time to do everything. But it can be made ahead & kept warm in the crock pot & will be easier to transport over to DS's apt.

I got a much needed full body massage this afternoon. Good sleeping tonight!

Comment

Toni, we buried a very well wrapped St. Joseph at the drive way. The house sold in less than a week. I was thrilled. We dug him up and he has a special place on a shelf in the display cabinet now.

Suzanne, I don't think I'd be able to keep up with you! I do take lots of breaks to make up for all of the years in the classroom without any breaks, not even to potty!

It's been fairly busy around here. The little hexies are stitched together and starched. Next step is to sew on the button decorations the stitch them on the towels. The lighting in this room just isn't great for hand stitching at night. So I found out last night. I couldn't see the thread to thread my needle. I was getting frustrated, but finally got it threaded.

Home school was tedious this morning. I think Boy is still riding the full moon, Friday the 13th, too close to Christmas train. Holy cow! He was wired! Mom brought him around 9:30. Nana picked him up at 11:30. Needless to say, we didn't get a lot done. Mostly Math, a huge lesson today, plus x4 work sheet and the 2 lesson worksheets. We did manage to get a little writing in, too. Come to find out, he'd served apple juice without permission this morning. He was on a natural sugar high! Tonight, nobody was allowed anything but plain water for dinner, and no dessert. Grandma has 12 cookies to eat! lol, Thank goodness they're ones I love! Nobody got any of the Lemon Fudge that I tried this morning, either. Oh well, actions have consequences.

The kitchen is in round one in the dishwasher, second round will start when the first finishes. Have I said how much I love my new sink! It's 2" deeper and the plates all stack and you don't see a pile of dirty dishes when you walk in the kitchen... unless you look down!

Have a great evening everyone.
                  Katrina

“Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.”
                  ― Maya Angelou

Comment

Originally posted by quiltingaway View Post
                    You will love this dishwasher! That is the Bosch I have too. I love the 3rd rack, it is incredibly quiet and gets everything really clean. I love it almost as much as my sewing machine That is saying something.
                    I have a Bosch, too. I absolutely LOVE that third rack!

Comment

Working...
                    X