Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CLLI Codes/Abbreviations

Good morning,

I am wondering if there is somewhere I can go to get a list of the CLLI Codes/Abbreviations you use. I can figure some of them out, but have trouble with some. I am sure after I hear them they will all make sense, but just can't put my finger on some of them. We referred to them as CLLI Codes where I use to work and we had hundreds of them. Looks like the quilting world has plenty of them too. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
    Nancy

Re: CLLI Codes/Abbreviations

Are you asking about things like HST? That’s half square triangle. Took me awhile on this forum to figure out the abbreviations like DH for darling husband,,,
    I seem to remember someone made a list but I can’t remember who... hopefully someone else will step up who can actually help answer your question.
    May the road rise up to meet you...
    May the wind be always at your back...
    May you be in Heaven a half hour before the Devil knows you're dead...
    Patt :icon_wave:

Comment

You have to be careful where you use the codes. Once I sent my book club group an email and used the DH shortcut for my dear husband. I received a call from each member of the group wondering what the DH meant, boy did they come up with some weird answers.

Comment

I can't take credit for this listing - her video is hilarious. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFcEbRkl8XQ
        You can also down a PDF of the Acronyms. I can't attach a pdf here. Here's the link to the listing: https://www.justgetitdonequilts.com/downloads

Might not solve all of your questions, however, I think you will enjoy it.

And the listings go on and on: https://harahara.net/English/resources/abbreviation.htm

And another: https://www.abbreviations.com/acronyms/QUILT/99999

Did find reference to the one which was originally on the forum, but the URL doesn't produce the page.

Found another reference within forum mail: https://www.with-heart-and-hands.com...-acronyms.html this was from redcaboose1717 years ago.

And this one might make you laugh! FART - Fabric Acquisition Road Trip
        Last edited by MHG Winnower; June 23, 2019, 11:58 AM.
        “Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.” ― John Muir
        “We can be many things in this life, choose to be kind!” ― author unknown

Comment

This made me smile because a while back I got a card from Miss May's husband letting me know how she was doing and he signed the card "May's DH". Our quilter speak is contagious!
          sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

Thanks for all the responses. The attachments will help a great deal. I am pretty familiar with the some of the quilting ones as I refer to Jenny's Block books when I am not sure. It is more the personal ones I have trouble with....like the DH, which I thought was 'Dear Husband'. Guess I was close on that one. Again, thank you for all your assistance. The attachments will help a lot.
            Nancy

Comment

Originally posted by NancyH View Post
              Thanks for all the responses. The attachments will help a great deal. I am pretty familiar with the some of the quilting ones as I refer to Jenny's Block books when I am not sure. It is more the personal ones I have trouble with....like the DH, which I thought was 'Dear Husband'. Guess I was close on that one. Again, thank you for all your assistance. The attachments will help a lot.
              DH can be "Darling" husband or "Dear" husband, but it can also be (depending on your mood) "D**n" Husband or even worse if your really mad at him.....

Comment

here are some for newbies to sewing

a bit of a glossary.

stash enrichment experience,
                am to polite to write the 3 letter word. fabric shopping as said in book 'particularly fun if engage in it with a close friend or even a large group of friends'

lfs
                local fabric store

ufo
                unfinished object

ufp
                unfinished project

wip
                work in progress

frogging
                there will come a day the project working on, you'll continue working on it until finally admit to god, yourself, and another human being, that the project is unsalvageable, then and only then will you be willing to frog or rip it out, and start again,
                its called frogging because rip it sounds like ribbit, the sound a frog makes. I just call it un sewing

hst
                half square triangle

qst
                quarter square triangle
                hourglass

9 patch
                3 rows of 3 squares

jelly roll / designer rolls
                2.5 inch strips width of fabric

wof
                width of fabric

layer cakes
                10" squares

charm packs
                5" squares

fat quarters
                is a 1/4 of a yard or metre depending which measurement the quilt shop uses

long quarter
                is the same volume as fat quarter but across whole width of fabric

skinny
                1.5 inch strips

bias binding
                cut fabric on 45 degrees makes good for bendy binding

straight binding
                cut 90 degrees doesn't go round corners as well as bias

batting / wadding
                the white or black fluffy inside that the top and backing fit onto

fusible batting
                iron to stick top to batting before quilting

piecing
                joining shape together to make a pattern sewn with 1/4 or scant 1/4 inch seams,

scant 1/4inch seam
                slightly narrow then 1/4 inches to allow the thickness of thread and fabric when ironed the shape comes out at right unit size, normally says in pattern which seam allowance to use

quilting
                joining the backing through the batting to the top by stitch or tied knots

bosal foam other brands available
                foam batting for bag making, makes bags ect, stand up

stabiliser
                piece of stiffer material to put behind fabric to make stronger for embroidery or collars

fmq
                free motion quilting sewn patterns lines to sew 3 sections front, batting, backing, of quilt together needs sewing machine setting up

Pantograph
                a map of the pattern followed by a long arm quilt machine,

lqs
                long arm quilt machine, also called long armer

domestic machine
                sewing machine used in home

industrial machine
                faster machine normally stronger set up for one job for sewing for business

serger / over locker
                many threads to make a seam cut excess fabric away, very quick

coverstitch machine
                normally used for sewing clothing

walking foot
                helps guide top of quilt same speed as bottom fabric, don't use reverse.

rotary cutter
                a device like a pizza cutter but its very sharp for cutting fabric

pinking shears,
                thought were pink shears someone didn't like and was very polite about it.
                they cut vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv shape in fabric to stop fraying.

DH
                darling hubby

DS
                Darling son

DD
                darling daughter or direct debit

am sure there are many more.

Comment

My DH loves to say "we are going on a FART!" fabric acquisition road trip. He tells everyone!
                  Vonnie

Comment

My DH thought DH stood for Dumb Husband.

Comment

Originally posted by Snip Snip View Post
                      My DH thought DH stood for Dumb Husband.
                      If the shoe fits . . .

Just kidding!

Comment

Working...
                      X