Grandma's Going to need a new bag

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grandma's Going to need a new bag

Here's the gist of the matter. I hate big bags. They just invite more mess to be stored in them and I just like carrying the bare minimum...lip stick, comb, mirror, keys, insurance and ID cards, and my phone.

So today, I picked up my handicap tag and registration that I have to carry. Mike doesn't want it hanging until we're parking, and I'm thinking an outside pocket for that. My orientation training is coming, so I'll need a place for my white cane.

Trust me, I can barely fit what I carry in my pocketbook. I have no idea what features to even look for (other than I do want the card protection in the lining).

I guess I should get to the question... any bag suggestions?
    Katrina
    “Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.” Maya Angelou

Re: Grandma's Going to need a new bag

I remember shopping for a handbag for work that would hold my large day planner...I didn't want a huge tote bag plus a purse. So I went to the store with my planner and tried so many bags until I found one that fit the bill.
    Michele

to the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world...

Comment

Just a suggestion but keep your handicap pass on your visor. I am using elastics on our visors to hold things. Now for the big question, can you make your own bag?
      Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Comment

Originally posted by Monique View Post
        Just a suggestion but keep your handicap pass on your visor. I am using elastics on our visors to hold things. Now for the big question, can you make your own bag?
        I was thinking about putting it on the visor, but Jim and Morgan drive me around too. Unlike Mom's it is registered to me and not the car. Which is why I was thinking about just keeping it with me.

I was hoping to find a pattern for a bag that I could make and maybe modify to make it work for my quirks.
        Katrina

Comment

You need a narrow cross body bag. A pattern should be easy to find.
          sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

Originally posted by Bubby View Post
            You need a narrow cross body bag. A pattern should be easy to find.
            If you'll be using a cane a cross body purse will work best.

Comment

I bought a sling cross body bag years ago from (I hope its okay to mention names) Chico Bag bought online but the company is in Chicago. I think it was only about $20, but just what I wanted. No leather or zippers all made of that parachute type material so it was washable. I am having a hard time picturing the size of bag that you need.

Comment

Vera Bradley also makes several versions of a crossbody bag with lots of compartments. They're a little pricey but if you're near an outlet mall the prices in those VB stores are deeply discounted. Also, some of the older patterns are discounted in the VB online store.
                Michele

to the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world...

Comment

I am thinking your biggest hurdle will be the white cane. You are going to need to know the dimensions of it when folded. I am thinking that it may be 12" long at minimum when folded, then a few inches across. Having a bag that will fit in will add a lot of size
                  K is for Karen 😊​..................
                  Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
                  T - is it TRUE?
                  H - is it HELPFUL?
                  I - is it INSPIRING?
                  N - is it NECESSARY?
                  K - is it KIND?

Comment

can you have an outside pocket for the cane? Maybe like an umbrella pocket. As for the tag maybe an up and down pocket? If you want to make it yourself there are lots of crossbody patterns available.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by LauraP View Post
                      can you have an outside pocket for the cane? Maybe like an umbrella pocket. As for the tag maybe an up and down pocket? If you want to make it yourself there are lots of crossbody patterns available.
                      My brain was thinking something that would have a spot for a water bottle on the outside. I'm trying to wrap my head around things before all of the pieces get in place. Dad would be fussing about me putting the cart before the horse.
                      Katrina

Comment

Originally posted by KPH View Post
                        My brain was thinking something that would have a spot for a water bottle on the outside. I'm trying to wrap my head around things before all of the pieces get in place. Dad would be fussing about me putting the cart before the horse.
                        Nope, you're not putting the cart before the horse, you're being smart! Your idea to use RFID fabric proves that you are really thinking this through. My step-sister's purse is really a "travel bag" that she bought on Amazon: RFID fabric, lightweight, with lots of pockets. I don't know if that helps you.

My best friend of 50 years (God rest her soul) had a handicap placard, as she was legally blind. She carried it with her because she didn't own a car; friends would use it when they drove her places. She used to struggle with the morality of it: "If I can't drive, why should I get a handicap placard?" I told her that if the State thought that people driving her should get a good parking spot, then she shouldn't argue with the State!
                        Toni ... If I keep sewing long enough, will they make their own dinner?

Comment

The Barbados bag by Pink Sand Beach Designs may be perfect for your needs. It is easy to construct, has an open slip type pocket on the back, perfect for handicap placard, zippered top opening, slip pocket on front behind a zippered pocket on front.
                          I have made many of these bags. My 88 year old mom uses a cane and carries one of these. Holds her bare minimums, plus a small water bottle, and her placard. I love it for hands free shopping and the bare minimum needed to carry.
                          http://store.pinksandbeachdesigns.com/120-barbados.html

Comment

Originally posted by Murphy224 View Post
                            The Barbados bag by Pink Sand Beach Designs may be perfect for your needs. It is easy to construct, has an open slip type pocket on the back, perfect for handicap placard, zippered top opening, slip pocket on front behind a zippered pocket on front.
                            I have made many of these bags. My 88 year old mom uses a cane and carries one of these. Holds her bare minimums, plus a small water bottle, and her placard. I love it for hands free shopping and the bare minimum needed to carry.
                            http://store.pinksandbeachdesigns.com/120-barbados.html
                            Katrina, if this one interests you let me know. Send me a private message.
                            Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Comment

Working...
                            X