• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Monday Trivia: George Bush

Some things you may not have known about George Herbert Walker Bush:

Born 12 June 1924 in Milton, Massachusetts
    Died 30 November 2018 in Houston, Texas

- Joined the Navy after Pearl Harbor. He was the youngest aviator in the Navy at 18. He enlisted the day he graduated from high school, his 18th Birthday in 1952. He flew in 58 combat missions for the Navy during World War II and was awarded three Air Medals and the Distinguished Flying Cross.

- He was captain of the Yale baseball team. He played in the first two College World Series tournaments. George met Babe Ruth while playing baseball at Yale.

- In 1945, he married Barbara Pierce. She was 16 years old and he was 21. The couple had six children, four sons and two daughters (George, Pauline, Jeb, Dorothy, Neil, Marvin). Their second eldest child Pauline Robinson "Robin" Bush died from Leukemia at the age of 3.

- Started in the oil business and became a millionaire before he was 40.

- Named Director of the Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) in 1976.

- There is an aircraft carrier named after him, the USS George HW Bush was commissioned in 2009.

He celebrated his 75th, 80th, 85th and 90th birthdays with a parachute jump.

- Bush was an academic. During the administration of Democratic president Jimmy Carter, Bush jumped off the fast track for a few years, taught some college classes, and worked with the Council on Foreign Relations.

- Served from 1971-1972 - as the Ambassador to the United Nations.

- His nickname since childhood has been Poppy, and that's how he was known at Yale, especially as a baseball player.

- A train built in his honor by the Union Pacific, which was unveiled in 2005, marked the sixth time a train bore colors other than the iconic Union Pacific "Armour Yellow" paint. The colors of the train are emblematic of Air Force One. President Bush drove the train about 2 miles after its unveiling. The Union Pacific No. 4141 will now transport former President Bush's body to its final resting place.

- When Mrs. Bush died in 2018, she had been married to George for 73 years. They were the longest married couple in presidential history.

Last edited by Star lover; December 3, 2018, 04:31 AM.
    💫 Star lover

Re: Monday Trivia: George Bush

Some interesting facts. Thanks

Comment

Yes, thank you Anita.

Comment

What a fascinating life! Thanks for this. I always like the Bush family. Very nice and genuine.
        I am Sew Blessed!
        Alina

Comment

Great info, thanks for sharing!
          Courage is being scared to death, and saddling up anyway. ~John Wayne

Quilting is my passion . . . chocolate is a close second!

Comment

Have not ever seen or heard a bad thing about him or his loving wife, Barbara. We could all learn something from them both.

RIP Mr. President.

Gina

Comment

Iv'e been watching the story about his life all weekend. I must say I didn't know much about him, but wow he was a very special guy. Some lessons could be learned of his service to the people of this country.
              "People were created to be loved. Things were created to be used. The reason why the world is in chaos is because things are being loved and people are being used"― Dalai Lama XIV

Comment

Working...
              X