Gas range oven cleaning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gas range oven cleaning

Time to get the old gas stove and oven cleaned, not a problem for the oven as I have a self cleaning one. Was wondering if anyone has also cleaned their stove top grates in the oven at the same time? Who told me to get such a large range as the stove top grates don't fit into my kitchen sink and it's much too cold to do the cleaning outside on the deck. Busy time of year for ranges so I don't want to put mine out of commission if the grates can't take the oven cleaning temps.

Re: Gas range oven cleaning

May, I wouldn't risk it. You should probably do a search on Google to see what they tell you. I don't know how old your stove is, but maybe you could call a dealer that sells it. Do you still have your owner's book? It should be addressed in there.
    sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

May, this is a timely post. I have been wanting to clean the top grates and the oven racks of my gas range. I don't leave the racks in the oven when I do Self Clean setting. I just bought some ammonia and was reading about putting grates and racks in a big black plastic bag outside with a cup of ammonia in the bag. Maybe even double bag. Seal it up really tight and let set outside for several hours or overnight. The fumes do the cleaning, not the liquid. Remove from bag, using rubber gloves and "gunk" should remove easily with a rag. Clean with soap and water. I am going to give it a try.
      A day patched with quilting Seldom unravels Sharon

Comment

it depends on your model. I've had ranges that could not be put on self clean and one that could. I got mixed up both grates and racks, put the ones that should NOT be put in self cleaning. It changed the finish and would no longer slide smoothly in and out on racks and the grates were rusty. Lesson learned.
        Diana Grey

Comment

Although not convenient, you can put an old towel in the bottom of your bathtub or shower and scrub in there.

Comment

Thanks gals, will do a google search first as well as hunting up owner's book. If it's No Go in the oven will do the bag thingy outside.

Comment

Been there, done that....that's why I take my racks out of the oven before self cleaning. I have tried to put my grates in dishwasher, too, with HOT HOT water and that didn't help the top grates. Going to do the black bag and ammonia trick.
              A day patched with quilting Seldom unravels Sharon

Comment

Hate to throw cold water on this but my appliance repairman told me do NOT use the self cleaning cycle ever. It burns out the heating coils and replacement is $120. I know because I had to pay that twice in one year. I then bought a new oven, the old one was 19 yrs old, and have kept it shiny and new looking for 8 months by wiping it out weekly with Dawn dish soap on a microfiber cloth.

Comment

Originally posted by jjkaiser View Post
                  Hate to throw cold water on this but my appliance repairman told me do NOT use the self cleaning cycle ever. It burns out the heating coils and replacement is $120. I know because I had to pay that twice in one year. I then bought a new oven, the old one was 19 yrs old, and have kept it shiny and new looking for 8 months by wiping it out weekly with Dawn dish soap on a microfiber cloth.
                  Sometimes the old methods work the best, a bit of elbow grease goes a long way.

Comment

I put the grates and racks in a large black trash bag, spray heavily with oven cleaner then put them on the deck for a day. The sun heats the bag & the gunk comes off easily. I use rubber gloves & a roll of paper towels. I then rinse them in the tub & dry with paper towels.
                    :icon_happy:

sigpic

Comment

I have an elec. kitchen stove, which I've had for at least 5 yrs. I have never used the self-cleaner. I keep it wiped out. I don't broil or bake messy things that would get it too dirty. Mostly I bake bread or sometimes pizza.

Comment

My appliance repair man husband says yes you can put the grates in the self cleaning cycle. I have never used the self clean cycle on my stove as it is faster to use generic easy off. Heat the oven to 200, turn it off, wait a few minutes, open the door, spray everything including the element, top grates and door gasket. DO NOT GET IT ON THE PAINT! It is a great paint remover so wipe it off quick with a damp cloth. Close the door, let sit for 20 minutes and wipe out.
                        But you know, if you always eat out you don't have to worry about a dirty oven. Just saying
                        sigpic

Comment

used to bake bread with a bowl of hot water underneath, the steam was supposed to help the rise, left hot water in to soften any other cooking residue, and wiped out.

have you tried tomato ketchup? it doesn't work fast. but is acidic.

have used these before https://www.qvc.com/It-Works%21-35-P...ct.V34932.html
                          but they break up after a while, of rubbing hard.

Comment

Have you any mates in the UK who can get this for you?
                            https://www.lakeland.co.uk/4972/Oven...eviews/12/20.2

Smear over everything in cold oven, leave it for a couple of hours and it literally wipes off with paper towel. Game changer.

Comment

cv quilter, I have used the ammonia trick. It works really well!

Comment

Working...
                              X