X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vonnie
    replied
    Re: Advice Needed: Buying a new Washer and Dryer

After my top loading washer with an agitater tore up my son's quilt, talked DH into buying new front loader/dryer. It's made by Samsun and I love it. We have had it for about 6 months. It does save on water and the washer takes twice as long as the dryer. But I love the feature on the dryer that keeps tumbling after it's done if you select wrinkle prevent. We were told to leave the door open on the washer and the compartment for the soap/bleach for a couple of days. Always left the lid up on the top loader we used to have and never had a problem with mold or a bad smell. Do the same with the dishwasher. Our dishwasher gave up the ghost last year, it was a Kitchenaide and had lasted 19 years. Replaced it with an LG and within a few days went back and told them I could not stand it. The bottom rack when you pulled it out came off the track 3 out of 4 times. It also did not dry the dishes. Got full money back and got a Kitchenaide again. Works great.

Neat thing about the new dryer is that I can put wide backs in there and select steam and it will take the wrinkles out.

Leave a comment:

• quiltingaway
    replied

In 2014 we got LG washer and dryer. It is my first front loading machine and I love it. It is a water saving model so has a water sensor which I use most of the time but also has the option of adding more water if you want to. I do this if I have a particularly dirty load. It spins the clothes so well that my dry time is significantly less. They are very energy efficient and very quiet. Being quiet was very important. Our laundry is on the main floor and my husband has a home based business with a basement office so this pair really helps with the noise

Leave a comment:

• Claire Hallman
    replied

I have a Whirlpool HE top load that I don't much like. I have gotten around the low water/not clean problem by using the bulky load cycle and the fabric softener button. By doing that enough water gets in the machine and our clothes seem to get clean.

Leave a comment:

• gale_w
    replied

I agree with speed queen and am shocked that more people didn't mention it. It's considered the best in the laundry/home type forums. I love mine. I am short (just under 5') and have no problem reaching the bottom of the tub if I stand on my tiptoes.

Leave a comment:

• Maria Sews
    replied

I have had an LG set with a front load washer for just over seven years. I can't say enough good things about them.

Both the washer and dryer can be used with or without steam. Out of habit from previous washers, I usually leave the door open for a day or two after I've done laundry to help it dry out and there is also a little door near the bottom where you can drain the machine and clean the lint filter (the manual suggests once a month but I usually do it every two or three months).

If I need to add more clothes after the wash starts, there is a pause button which stops the machine and unlocks it so I can add to the load. The buzzer can be turned down or off - it's actually a little tune as opposed to the annoying buzz that some washers and dryers have.

Being just under 5'3", a front load is much easier for me to use. If I had to replace them, I would probably look to find a similar set.

Best of luck in your shopping!

Leave a comment:

• chelea
    replied

Laura, thanks for all that info...it's so interesting how so many different brands are made by the same company. And I was really happy to hear about Samsung and LG. We did a big kitchen remodel 2 years ago and chose a beautiful Samsung range and LG microwave and refrigerator that we've been very happy with.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

I will second the Speed Queens. Had a Maytag Bravos XL set- top load but w/o the inner agitator. It had the agitator plate. Boy was I a sucker. Was supposed to be efficient, get clothes cleaner, etc. Yeah right. Never again.

We now have the front load Speed Queens. Our monthly water usage when compared month to month dropped 20%. I’m not exaggerating. DH tracks this meticulously. That was the only change to our lifestyle. Clothes much cleaner, cycles are fast. The Maytag ran forever, constantly filling, emptying, refilling, rebalancing the load. And there would still be items that were DRY if they sat on top of the wash load. Didn’t matter how you loaded it. I will say SQ has modified their design and some people are not as happy with them.

Another thing you can do is go to a laundromat. Look at what they are running. Try to replicate for yourself. That’s how I found Speed Queens.

Leave a comment:

• Midge
    replied

If you are looking for a budget solution, I have been very happy with my Maytag Centennial washer/electric dryer duo. They are entry level models that I got at Home Depot. But the performance has been very good. It's a top loading HE washer with an agitator (that was a must for me), 10 year warranty on drive motor and wash basket. I am 5'6" and it's a reach to get things out of the bottom of the wash basket. But on the plus side, it has lots of settings to let you adjust for "deep water wash", a prewash cycle and an extra rinse. All the usual temperature controls and controls for permanent press. I cannot do queen size bedding in this, though. Double is the max. The dryer is also very satisfactory with the usual cycles. You can turn off the alarm, great for late night washing, right? I wanted to purchase a lower level model but not sacrifice the features I like, and I achieved that with this pair. I live alone, so I felt that some of the sexier higher end models were a waste of money for me. So far I've had them almost 3 years, and no complaints at all. I waited for a special promotion and each unit was under $400. You need a separate purchase of the proper cord for your situation. Hope this helps.

Leave a comment:

• LauraP
    replied

Okay, wife of an appliance repairman here. Bob has been in the business for about 50 years so he's pretty much seen it all. He's worked from coast to coast and north to south. He says if he had all the money in the world and could buy the best it would be Samsung first and LG/ Kenmore next. They have finally gotten common enough for parts to be readily available. Trivia--LG is for Life's Good. That is the umbrella company and for the appliances it is Lucky Goldstar. Both Samsung and LG are South Korean companies.

Bausch is German, and Fischer Paykel is Australian/ New Zealand. They are both easy to get parts for now but there are some oddball European brands that American repairman just can't get parts for. If you are in love with one, ask your local repairman if he can work on them.

Crosley, old Kenmores from Sears, Maytag, Roper, KitchenAid, JennAire and Admiral are owned/made by Whirlpool. Roper and Crosley are the basic low cost machines and KitchenAid and JennAire are the top of the line. But basically the insides are all the same motor, pump etc. Kenmore is now made by LG since Whirlpool lost their contract a few years back.

His favorites to work on have always been the OLD Whirlpool/Kenmores but you just about can't get parts for them anymore. We are talking the Harvest Gold, Avocado era. The farmers around here still have them and use the daylights out of them. They were built to last which caused problems for the companies since they weren't selling replacements. So they started designing them to have a shorter working life 10-12 years. The other thing that has made a major impact on the quality is that the government started saying how much water they could use. The makers didn't have an option.

Top loader vs front loader is strictly a personal choice. We have owned both and currently have LG front loaders. They are easier for me to reach the clothes since I am only 5'2". Kind of like the choice between a chest and upright freezer. I always leave the door on the washer open since it opens against the wall and we just throw our clothes in there rather than a hamper. Our machine also has a small door on the front that lets you get to the pump to clean it out. They suggest you clean it every couple of months.

And by the way, for those of you who are thinking having your own repairman is a good thing, it's kind of like being married to a mechanic. Your things are always the last to get fixed. I have had to threaten to call another repairman just to get my dryer fixed.

Oh yeah, and he leaves the home refrigerator/freezer door open. Came home from camping and have to throw the meat away because when he got the ice out he didn't get the door closed. Three days is too long to risk!

Leave a comment:

• amartin24
    replied

Originally posted by Hulamoon View Post
    When I replaced my machine I got a GE and it does have an agitator.

It is deep and doesn't buzz, but it works great and I like simple. Now on the other hand my stove is a problem. lol
    Thanks Lorie. Good to know you can still get the good old-fashioned ones.

Leave a comment:

• Hulamoon
    replied

Originally posted by amartin24 View Post
    I have a whirlpool front loader and it does its job. We like the HE front loader because we have a septic system and would def get this type of washer again for that reason. I'm not sure what I would get next time I need to. They also now make the top-loading all HE. In fact, do they still sell top-loading ones with the agitator like they used to? Those are the best I think. One thing that is a must for me on the dryer is the buzzer on/off feature. Those buzzers are so loud they would scare me out of my skin. To whoever said $800 each now - $800 is cheap!! I've seen some at $1500 each.
    When I replaced my machine I got a GE and it does have an agitator.

It is deep and doesn't buzz, but it works great and I like simple. Now on the other hand my stove is a problem. lol

Leave a comment:

• amartin24
    replied

I have a whirlpool front loader and it does its job. We like the HE front loader because we have a septic system and would def get this type of washer again for that reason. I'm not sure what I would get next time I need to. They also now make the top-loading all HE. In fact, do they still sell top-loading ones with the agitator like they used to? Those are the best I think. One thing that is a must for me on the dryer is the buzzer on/off feature. Those buzzers are so loud they would scare me out of my skin. To whoever said $800 each now - $800 is cheap!! I've seen some at $1500 each.

Leave a comment:

• Murphy224
    replied

If it is important to you, make sure you can fill the machine with detergent and water and do a soak if necessary. My Maytag Bravos HE no agitator top load will not let me do that and it is my only complaint. Have had it for 8 years with no problems or repairs. Large capacity so I can do king size quilts, throw rugs, bathroom rugs, with no issues.
    Good luck with your purchase.

Leave a comment:

• quilt_gems_25
    replied

I have the Frigidaire Crown series front loader washer and dryer. They both are capable of one quilt though the instructions for the washer states that one needs to put two quilts or blankets into it so that it stays in balance. I tried one once and it sounded like a herd of elephants tramping through the house. I have had these almost 18 years. The washer needed the bowl changed one time. The dryer was practically rebuilt for one repair. The dryer daily lint removal is easy in the dryer, but when you do a thorough cleaning, it is really hard to get under the machine to clean it out, (it does make the drying time very short when it is cleaned regularly). The only thing that bothered me with the washer is that it is really hard to keep clean. It seems that every load leaves a little bit of water where you cannot get to it. In the beginning, I used to get coins trapped fairly readily. In fact so much that the repairman showed me how to take the fins off so that I could get the coins myself. That turned out to be a really good thing when I went in there one time, I found a necklace I'd lost some time before.

Leave a comment:

• chelea
    replied

We have the old fashioned top loading washer and regular dryer made by Whirlpool and are happy with them. The front loaders don't fit in our laundry closet. To my way of thinking, it doesn't make sense that a washer full of laundry can get clean with so little water. Same with the dishwasher. We have a HE Bosch and it takes forever to wash a load. BTW, we've had the Bosch serviced twice and they didn't have pull it out to service it.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X