Thursday Trivia: Space Spiders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thursday Trivia: Space Spiders

Two common cross spiders (Araneus diadematus) named Anita and Arabella went into space with NASA astronauts on a Skylab mission in 1973.

They were part of an experiment devised by Judith Miles, a high school student, to test whether weightlessness would affect a spider's ability to spin a web.

At first nothing happened. The spiders swam madly in place thanks to the lack of gravity, but after only two days, Arabella began building a web. Eventually Anita spun one herself shortly afterwards, and though the webs were finer than the customary ones spun here on earth, they weren’t really all that different. The discovery revealed quite a bit about the effect of zero gravity on motor response.

Unfortunatly both spiders died in orbit, but their sacrifce gave scientists quite a bit to think about, and those lasting answers have since help to further the study of zero gravity.

After they died, their bodies were placed in the permanent collection of the Smithsonian.

OK, spiders aren't definitely now my favorite, but......one named Anita? Who'd a thought?
    💫 Star lover

Re: Thursday Trivia: Space Spiders

I think it's amazing a high school student thought this up. I wonder what she became.
    "People were created to be loved. Things were created to be used. The reason why the world is in chaos is because things are being loved and people are being used"― Dalai Lama XIV

Comment

Young people have minds that have not yet been bent by the knowledge that has been before them
      Walk in peace with the Lord by your side.
      Terry

Comment

Pretty cool!!
        Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Comment

Great story! Thank you for telling about your namesake and her friend.

But seriously, that is a great story.
          Toni ... If I keep sewing long enough, will they make their own dinner?

Comment

Working...
          X