Postal service food drive?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Postal service food drive?

I put out things last year and they never took it.I got a bag in the mail for next Sat today. Do you have this in your area? Do people steal i? Does a mail person not pick it up? I'm ready to fill it but not sure this is the best option for this program.
    🌺 Lorie

Re: Postal service food drive?

I don't think I have ever heard of the USPS collecting food in our town. They may and I just might not be aware of it. I think its a nice idea. How very sad if people do steal it.

Comment

We used to do this in our town many years ago. Can you drop it off at the post office instead of leaving it outside? Seems like a great idea.
      Michele

to the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world...

Comment

They’ve done that in our area before. I think I would take it to the post office.
        "I'm putting together a list of 100 reasons why I am NOT relentless!" - Sue Heck, The Middle

Leonard: For God's sake, Sheldon, do I have to hold up a sarcasm sign every time I open my mouth?
        Sheldon (intrigued): You have a sarcasm sign?

Comment

The Letter Carriers food drive is nationwide and is the largest one-day food drive in the US. It is spearheaded by the National Association of Letter Carriers (city letter carrier's union) with the cooperation of the US Postal Service. Community volunteers load the food into vehicles/trucks for transfer to food banks. I seem to remember that the rural carriers participated also (not really sure on that). I do remember that donations came in after food drive day and were picked up about a week later. So I would say that you could bring your donations to the post office as long as your post office is staffed with city letter carriers (because they definitely participate because it is their union that organizes it).

Comment

Last year the whole neighborhood never got picked up. I'm talking blocks and blocks. I guess I'll try one more time. maybe last years carrier was just lazy. lol.
            🌺 Lorie

Comment

I got the bag, too. My question is our boxes are way down the street... leave the bag there or here at the house on the porch?
              Katrina
              “Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.” Maya Angelou

Comment

Katrina, my guess would be to leave the bag by the boxes. This makes me realize that I don't remember getting the bag last year. At my old house we did get it every year. It was always gone later. I'll see if we get one this year. We don't have a dedicated mail carrier, so they could decide to skip it. I also don't pick up my mail every day, since it's down on the next street. I get the emails daily telling what mail is coming, so only go if it's something important or I think the box is full.

Comment

Yes, they do that in our city, but I've never participated. I figure the mail carriers have enough to do without hauling food, too. Our local groc. stores have food drives & have boxes at the store.

Comment

Originally posted by JCY View Post
                    Yes, they do that in our city, but I've never participated. I figure the mail carriers have enough to do without hauling food, too. Our local groc. stores have food drives & have boxes at the store.
                    Funny you should say that because my husband is a mail carrier and he said that it's hard to get volunteers to help pick up the food. He has a walking route in town and said he would put a few items in his bag but you can only carry so much along with the mail. They would ask the people from the food bank to help pick up the food along the streets but they don't want to. Sadly, our post office doesn't advertise this event anymore because of the lack of help.
                    Tracie

Comment

I noticed they did it in my neighborhood last year. I don't know how they did for it they'll do it again next year.
                      https://forum.missouriquiltco.com/co.../icon_wave.gif
                      Women are Angels. When someone break's our wings we will continue to fly-usually on a broomstick.We're flexible like that.

Comment

My local post office does this every year, but they don't provide the bags. I have donated a couple of times -- I don't have a lot in my pantry, so it's hard for me to fill a bag unless I buy the food specifically to donate. A lot of times they don't give us very much notice.

Comment

Originally posted by JulieC View Post
                          My local post office does this every year, but they don't provide the bags. I have donated a couple of times -- I don't have a lot in my pantry, so it's hard for me to fill a bag unless I buy the food specifically to donate. A lot of times they don't give us very much notice.
                          Who says you have to fill the bag? Just do what you can, because every little bit helps.
                          TRUTH is seldom appreciated, unless you happen to agree with it. When you don't agree, you just call it rude.

Comment

That is a nice idea. We don't have these in Canada. All grocery stores have bins at the door for food donations for distribtution by local food banks. Sometimes they make special drives and have buses parked at specific stores. It's Fill the Bus drives.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

Comment

I love that program! Call your local post office and ask if your carrier will be participating.

Comment

Working...
                              X