• Tracie T
    replied
    Re: prayers for my dh please

I will pray for you both!

Leave a comment:

• sew-what2015
    replied

Thanks for the update. Prayers continue for both of you.

Leave a comment:

• KarenC
    replied

Prayers and hugs to you. Your dh is so lucky to have you by his side.

Leave a comment:

• KPH
    replied

I'm glad your husband is getting the help he needs. My thoughts and prayers are with you both.

Leave a comment:

• Cokie
    replied

You all don't know how much it means to me to come home after spending the day at the hospital and read your notes. DH was doing a little better today. The neurologist came in just before I left tonight and said that he still wants to do the MRI to rule out a stroke, but based on some other things, he doesn't think this is a stroke. More tests were done today and we should know some results tomorrow. The neurologist told us that he would check on them and let us know if the hospitalist doesn't let us know in the morning. There are several "teams" involved in his care right now so they each have their own areas of specialty. I'm writing down the names of all the doctors we've talked to, and in two days there have been eight. Gets hard to keep them all straight. Thank you again for all of your prayers and good thoughts.

Leave a comment:

• Patty J
    replied

Midge thanks for stopping by and giving the FAST signs. It is something all of us need to be aware of.
    Cokie, keep the good faith and know that we are praying for you and darling husband. Low potassium is nothing that should be ignored.

Leave a comment:

• Midge
    replied

Originally posted by Cokie View Post
    Spent the entire day at the hospital...waiting. Other than bloodwork, the only thing that happened is a member of the neurology team came in and did some testing with him. He did fine with the physical part of it - no apparent weakness, good reflexes, etc. But the mental part he struggled with. It was so sad to me, except that he didn't seem bothered by it - I think he believes he did fine with it. They feel that the MRI is critical, but he has a blood clotting disorder and has a filter to stop blood clots from going to his heart or lungs, and they are trying to verify that it's OK for them to go ahead with the MRI.
    So glad to hear he has started to cooperate with the care he needs, even if he is unable right now to appreciate his situation and the seriousness of it. It doesn't really surprise me that he is staying at the hospital - it sounds like he isn't able to analyze his situation. I'm sure your presence is a great help in this acquiescence, since he probably understands that you aren't upset or angry about what his caregivers are trying to do. So hard on you though to interpret and appear serene, regardless of your actual feelings. Big hug for you, and try to get some rest if you can.

Leave a comment:

• Cokie
    replied

Spent the entire day at the hospital...waiting. Other than bloodwork, the only thing that happened is a member of the neurology team came in and did some testing with him. He did fine with the physical part of it - no apparent weakness, good reflexes, etc. But the mental part he struggled with. It was so sad to me, except that he didn't seem bothered by it - I think he believes he did fine with it. They feel that the MRI is critical, but he has a blood clotting disorder and has a filter to stop blood clots from going to his heart or lungs, and they are trying to verify that it's OK for them to go ahead with the MRI.

Leave a comment:

• LLLinda
    replied

Midge, that was exactly my DH's problem too. I hesitated to say that though.

Leave a comment:

• Midge
    replied

So sorry you are going through this Cokie! I wasn't going to say anything, but after having been a nurse practitioner for 35 years, I just can't stay silent. Dear, you are at a crossroads with your DH. He must learn to accept your instincts that something is wrong and just give you the benefit of the doubt. Time for an "intervention" as we used to say. I hope you can get him to listen.

As soon as I read your original post I immediately thought TIA - transient ischemic attack, or stroke. And because no one else among all the responses said this, I am going to jump in with both feet and tell you all that you need to learn the signs. You can literally save a life or someone's quality of life.

Mnemonic: FAST

1) Facial drooping - can't smile straight or show their teeth symmetrically
    2) Arm weakness - can't raise both arms above the head to the same level
    3) Speech difficulties - can't find words, can't understand what is being said, or can't speak
    4) Time to call 911 - today's well-trained EMTs will get this ball rolling, pronto

There is indeed a Golden Hour here. At a Comprehensive Stroke Center or a regular hospital emergency department there should be a rapid response with imaging done IMMEDIATELY. NO waiting whatsoever. And if there are signs of a blood clot, clot-busting drugs can be given IV immediately and prevent any damage from becoming permanent. I have personally seen this approach work, but the key to everything is getting to qualified medical help immediately.

Leave a comment:

• JCY
    replied

Ah, an electrolyte imbalance (the low potassium). Electrolytes out of whack can do weird things to people. Cause confusion, speech problems, weakness, etc. If they get far enough out of balance, it can actually cause death. My DH has dealt with low sodium since 2008. He spent 3.5 days on telemetry until his critical low sodium came back up to almost a normal level. He's had chronic problems ever since. We monitor it closely on a regular basis. I hope they get to the bottom of all your husb.'s health problems. Hang in there.

Leave a comment:

• LLLinda
    replied

Sure hope this problem gets fixed soon. I've been there big time so I understand exactly how you're feeling.

Leave a comment:

• pcbatiks
    replied

Prayers continuing. Hoping you'll get some answers soon.

Leave a comment:

• sew-what2015
    replied

Thanks for the update. I thought about you both last night and said an extra prayer just before I fell asleep. I understand the torment and stress of not knowing. Hopefully, answers will soon be forthcoming.

Leave a comment:

• Monique
    replied

At least you were able to get him to the the ER. Hopefully they can run all the tests that may be needed before he decides he doesn't want to be there any more. I hope you get some answers soon.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X