Cold Sunday in Daisy World

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cold Sunday in Daisy World

Am stealing Blondie's first post of the day just this once cause a) i am here before her and b) cause i can!

Cold cold cold here, inside and out. Boiler is dead......a new one needed, hopefully will be put in next week. So no heat in the house except for the woodburner and we thank God for that. Also discovered when the boiler went and we put the emersion heater on for hot water till boiler was fixed that THAT WAS BROKEN TOOOOOOOO! In fairness it hasnt been used for several years because the central heating also runs the hot water so we were unaware that the emersion was kaput.

So here we sit being all pioneerish trying to keep warm, boiling kettles for Mr Daisy to shave in and for an 'all over wash'. I did sew yesterday, the owl quilt top is about one and a half rows from being finished......ie got 2 sides of this row to do and then the final boarder. Too cold to sew today, fingers got stiff with it yesterday.

Am off out now to the Range to buy a new kitchen rug cause Seamus decided to throw up on the old one and then Mr Daisy was carrying in a bucket of coal in and the handle came off and the whole bucket emptied on the rug. Frankly I looked at it, folded it up and put it in the Wheelie bin. Sometimes life is just tooooooooo short lol.

We were thinking last night .......so much of our 'stuff' is fairly old and well used that everything seems to be breaking at once. Mr Daisy said 'a bit like ourselves really' lol

I am not desperately unhappy about it all though cause it means a new kitchen rug, a new coal skuttle and a new boiler........... we will be all brand new and 'down with the kids'!!!!!!!!!!!!

He bought a 'smashin bit of Ash for a long bow pet' yesterday, is a very happy bunny. Still hasnt revealed what else was in the back of the car fromthe wood yard i think is waiting for me to go out so he can hide his stash lol. Not that i care how much he has!!
    Blog
    http://divinedaisydesigns.blogspot.co.uk/

Re: Cold Sunday in Daisy World

Good and happy Sunday Morning! And I do not feel the least bit off that you beat me in this morning, Ms Daisy. After all, you are well into your day and I am just s-t-r-e-c-h-i-n-g- and having my first cuppa. Oh, what a glorious morning. Cold as the old well diggers butt.
    Yesterday was a good day; work, carried my sister to the LQS for some floss - yeah, like she really had to crank my arm around to go there - lol, found some great fabric reduced to 3.00 a yard. I have purchased some of this fabric before and it is great for purse lining, the back of table runners, etc. Since I am working on DD's table runner, this was my lucky day.
    Came home helped hubs get wood in for the next few days, and oh, I could bore you with all the glorious details of my boring life on the Hill. Suffice to say, we are really getting to be a staid middle aged couple.
    Now, I am looking around the forum this morning and cannot seem to find any of the buttons I normally see and use such as font, color, etc. Hopefully my little jpg will show up.Please tell me it isn't just me.

Daisy, I sure hate that your boiler needs replacing. In the great scheme of things, it has been my experience that everything starts falling apart all at once and in batches of 3. I wish you luck. I would've found a favorite relation to bunk with or a hotel. I may like old timey looking stuff but i sure was not meant to live without today's conveniences.

Enjoy the rest of the weekend!
    Last edited by Blondie; January 15, 2012, 07:43 AM.
    Sewing mends the soul.
    sigpic

Do the math; count your blessings
    Laughing is good exercise. It's like jogging on the inside.

http://pinterest.com/vintageprims/boards/ Unless we are creating we are not fully alive
    ~ Madeleine L'Engle

Comment

Good Morning Everyone.

My computer is growling at me this morning....we think the fan is going out. If I disapear suddenly for a few days it's most like computer related.
      It's quite cold here today with quite a gusty wind. After church , so no fun in sight!!

I'm working like a mad woman on the two benefit quilts that have to be done soon and also a rag quilt that needed to be done today but isn't.

I wish you all a wonderful day....prayers still going out for Em, Heaven and Mr Daisy...and everyone else in our sweet group.

Hugs, Barb
      sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

Good morning Daisy and Blondie.

It is extremely cold -33 with the wind chill. Now Blondie, that is -27.4 ºF in your neck of the woods. Staying in today.

Why do people was in tide? Cause it's too cold out tide!!

Yesterday was a busy day. Worked in the morning. Came home and did some cleaning and picking up. Our dear friend was coming for dinner.

My niece and her partner were out snowmobiling and ran out of oil. So Uncle Les drove to the next town for them and got them some oil. We had a lovely little visit as they waited for his return.

Another friend stopped by and ended up staying for dinner as well. I even washed all the dishes before going to bed. So this morning no mess to clean up.

I am going to try and get some sewing done today.

I accepted to work at the post office in another town every day from now until March. This is only in the mornings plus Saturdays but all my afternoons are free. They are so short staffed with casuals. I wish I could share this will Pam in Vegas who has been looking for work. Funny how things go sometimes. I was looking for casual work and it kind of fell into my lap. Who knew. Now I have extra fabric money!!

Time to do some laundry. Have a wonderful day and stay warm.
        Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Comment

Good Morning,

Daisy, so sorry for all your woes around the house. Couldn't pick a worse time for the boiler to go out. Good thing you are a quilter and probably have a few to snuggle under. Grab Mr. D, a good movie and snuggle down for the afternoon.

It was 6 below zero when I first checked around 7:30. I believe it has warmed up to about 5 below now. Wish I didn't have a family thing to go to. Would rather stay home and warm.

I've baked some brownies to take to a family get-together this afternoon. Now I just have to smell them all day and resist the urge to snitch. Guess I better go upstairs and stitch. Gotta get the blocks done for Mr. D, Heaven and Emily's quilts.

Have a great day. Stay warm.
          ;)Nancy

I got a sewing machine for my husband. Good trade, huh!?!

Comment

Happy Sunday indeed.
            Know the trials and upsets when old things go out all at once. I won't go into detail but one year the church felt so bad for us they tried to give us some money to help us out (which we refused) after an entire year of one thing a month went out. It was like a brand new house by the next Christmas! (and a broke one at that).

Spent a glorious weekend sewing. My girlfriend came up on Friday afternoon and we sewed into the night. She made an applique name pin with SunBonnet Sue on it and sewed a kit of squares together into a top for the Project Linus. I started my applique bunny block for my BOM and did some quilting on the huge snowman flannel quilt. Saturday, there were 4 of us that met at my church and pushed out quilty projects left and right. Certainly a productive weekend with lots of giggles thrown in. It is surely good for the soul when you can get together with your girlfriends.

Quite chilly out there today. Off to the laundromat for the whites to wash, then to church, then on to Dad's for the rest of the day.

Wish I were off tomorrow, but I have to go in for training. It was offered at the beginning of the year to give us 5 hours to go towards the 20 we need for the year. Then on Thursday, the boss decides it's up to us if we want to come in or not. Which was nice to be given the choice, but I'd rather go in and get paid for it and drive 5 minutes to get there instead of getting the training on my own time, drive up to 45 min. away, in the evening, and not get paid for it. The teachers get extra pay for any extra training they need here and its usually on school time, but we are not. So, yes, I am taking advantage of the extra pay and schooltime hours. Of course the kiddos are off.

Wellll - better get to the laundry to get the day started. Coffee sure tastes good this morning. It's nice to enjoy a cup with ya all.

Nancy - I complained one time to my dad about how it was too cold to come for a visit. All he said was something like - "well, do you have heat in your car? Do I have heat in the house? Well, then, come on down since you won't be outside long enough to have it hit your bones!" And, off I went. I only froze for the first 10 minutes there and back waiting for the car to warm up. It is about 18 out there right now so guess I will head on out.

Hugs,
            Last edited by quiltingtrish; January 15, 2012, 08:14 AM. Reason: added

Comment

Good Sunday Morning. It is a bright sunny morning here in the Ozarks with a whopping 26*F at the moment. We might get lucky today in get into the 40s.
              Daisy... don't you just love pioneering! Although we do have a regular propane furnace we try to only heat with wood all winter. I have lived here for 5 years (as of April 1) and for the first 3 years I hauled water in 55 gallon barrels from my neighbors. We had 3 of the barrels set up inside the cabin with a 12 volt battery system that worked a pump so we had water on demand when we turned on a faucet and such. I would just haul the water and transfer it to the inside barrels with a transfer pump. It wasn't too bad, except in the winter when it was really cold and I was going down the road a mile to the neighbors on the John Deere Gator, which for those that don't know is an open air utility vehicle. Once in a while I would use the pick-up truck but normally I used the John Deere Gator.
              Although I now have a well, my cabin is so small I have no space for my washer and dryer in the house, so I have an "outdoor" laundry room. It is a lean-to type structure that keeps our extra refrigerator, chest type freezer and up-right freezer. Plus I have my wringer washer there and hang my clothes on the clothesline. When we first moved down here, we lived in a tent for 3 months. I really am a pioneer woman!!!

I hope to get to some sewing today. I have an idea in my head for another wall-hanging and I want to try to make a design for it. I did make a bunch of 2 inch triangle squares to use as the border when I get this thing out of my head and can start working on it. I also want to make a wall-hanging of the prickly pear cactus picture that is in my Life on Crazy Woman Mountain album. I need to sit down with my sketch pad and colored pencils and start drawing to see what I can come up with as far as a pattern for flower applique.

Well, off to get another cup of coffee. Have a wonderful Sunday.

God bless you all.
              Donna
              MSQC: Where Strangers become Friends and Friends become Family!

"The soul would have no rainbows, if the eyes had no tears."native American wisdom

sigpic

Comment

Good Morning Everyone!! Yes it is still cold, blowy and snowy here in New York. Glad that I do not have anywhere much to go today. I did have a good sew day yesturday. I worked on a table runner that was a kit---it was a bit tedious but I did finish it. I just have to sandwhich and quilt it. I wanted to do the jellyroll race quilt today---thought I had a jellyroll available to use, but I can't find it---I think that I am going crazy or something. Either that or I have way too much stuff and it is not organized. I am sorry to hear of all the things breaking in your home---that stinks, but the silver lining is what you said---you get new rugs and appliances!!!! Hope the rest of today works out well for you and everyone else. Stay warm!!!!
                I am such a material girl!!!!!:icon_wave: Nena

Comment

Good morning all! Daisy, know all about replacing stuff. We are replacing our deck and due to run in with deer, need a new car too.

Last night I sewed more on the blocks for the Polka Dot swap. Fun chatting with DD#1 on phone and sewing away. She is sooo tickled about her clean sewing studio (we worked like dogs to get it in shape) and she has invited clients there for meetings and they compliment her on her studio. She is over the moon! Family coming next Thursday so cleaned like a mad woman yesterday. Today is bathe the dogs and go buy more fabric for the Polka Dot blocks (didn't buy enough). Hugs to all and have a stellar day!
                  Success is liking yourself, liking what you do, and liking how you do it.
                  Maya Angelou

~Megan~

Comment

Originally posted by CrazyMtnLady View Post
                    I have an idea in my head for another wall-hanging and I want to try to make a design for it. I did make a bunch of 2 inch triangle squares to use as the border when I get this thing out of my head and can start working on it. I also want to make a wall-hanging of the prickly pear cactus picture that is in my Life on Crazy Woman Mountain album. I need to sit down with my sketch pad and colored pencils and start drawing to see what I can come up with as far as a pattern for flower applique.
                    Ah, in my mind's eye I can see this done as a stained-glass block!!!! Wouldn't that be stunning?
                    Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
                    it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Comment

I'm just popping in to say hello. I'm not going into detail about how life is going 'ceptin' to say that raising children is difficult and sometimes they never grow up. And, I'm not speaking of MINE - but HER's! I've been helping out as much as possible the last few days and my lap has seen many little baby bottoms, I've had hugs around my neck and lots of love garnered from little hands.

I do believe I need to spend the day paying attention to Al and our house for a change, so I'm going to be piddling around and see if I can make some semblance of order to the disorder. Luckily we do tend to pick up after ourselves most of the time.

Thanks for sharing bits and pieces of your lives - it makes mine seem just as wonderful (which I know it is) and makes the day truly worthwhile. I'm sending special prayers and warm hugs to all my cyber friends.

BTW has anyone heard from Gayle?
                      Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
                      it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Comment

Good Morning! We're having a heat wave here in southern KY compared to some of you, we've got a whopping 30*. Daisy, I'm sorry you're having so many problems at once...trouble seems to come in bunches like grapes. I moved my cutting mat to the kitchen table yesterday because the basement is cold and the new stovepipes for the wood stove have been in the living room for a week waiting for DH to cut one to the right length and help with the installation. I can't find the tin snips or I would've tried it by myself!

No plans for here today. Everyone stay warm and have a great day!
                        *~* Myrna *~*
                        *~* Quilters lead pieceful lives *~*

Comment

Originally posted by Sandy Navas View Post
                          Ah, in my mind's eye I can see this done as a stained-glass block!!!! Wouldn't that be stunning?
                          Sandy, I have never done a stained-glass quilt. I did a google search and found some awesome pictures and I agree. That is the kind of material and idea I had in mind. I will definitely have to hit the fabric shop now!

thanks for the tip.
                          Donna
                          MSQC: Where Strangers become Friends and Friends become Family!

"The soul would have no rainbows, if the eyes had no tears."native American wisdom

sigpic

Comment

Daisy, sure have been in your shoes. Bunches of threes, sometimes even bunches of fives. ;(

Sitting here looking out at the sea, we have the VOG coming in from the volcano on the Big Island. Along with big white clouds and blue skies. Kind of weird. We'll hit 75 today.

Going to be achy later, I need to sit on the floor to trim off the excess the quilt. Then prepare the binding, hopefully get it done today and mail it off to Project Linus tomorrow.

DH just started bugging me for the 3 mile morning walk, UGH...I'll check in later.

Huggers, Ruby
                            sigpic Visit my fabric shopping cart YardageALaCarte.com - PM me for a 25% Off your Total Purchase Code, just mention "The Forum" in your message. Huggers, Ruby

Comment

*GASP* "Momma! There is SNOW outside!" Followed by jumping up and down and chants of "Snow! Snow! Snow!"

I imagine there will be some playing in the slowly melting snow here in a few minutes. She has been trying to wait until I have our late breakfast all cleaned up. It will be fun, but sadly there isn't quite enough today for the sled to work on our hill to the barn. We are supposed to get another dose between now and Wednesday. Maybe La Nina has finally caught up to us.

Yesterday was all Washington State Animal Response Team trainings, meetings, and my CPR/First Aid Certifications. I was tuckered out by the time I got home. My sweet husband had made dinner AND cleaned up most of his "making mess". After the final kitchen clean up, I was done. So no sewing on the girl's blocks.

After a jaunt outside, I will finish cutting Emily's blocks and sew them up. I am still trying to decide on the final design for the Daisy's block. I did get the fabric stash color-sorted and back into the bins. I had no idea that "little" project would take two full days! I have NO need to go to the fabric store for awhile. Just wait, I'll be missing something like elastic, a zipper or some other crazy little thing. Once inside the door, the siren song of the cottons just can't be resisted. Sometimes I can leave with out actually buying fabric, but I MUST at least look.

For those who are wrestling with the cold; warm wishes and hugs to you!
                              Have a great rest of your day!
                              Cathy
                              Be who you are and say what you feel
                              because those who mind don't matter,
                              and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss

http://www.toggpine.wordpress.com

Comment

Working...
                              X