Another Use For Batting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another Use For Batting

Hope this is the right place to post this. I ended up with a basket of small pieces of batting and didn't want to throw them away. I ran out of Swifter pads and discovered the batting works way better at collecting the dust and hair on my bathroom floor. (DH says I shed like a Yeti) No more expensive Swifter pads for me!
    Anyone else found a use for the small pieces of batting?
    :icon_happy:

sigpic

Re: Another Use For Batting

I know this sounds really dumb but I had some little pieces of warm and natural and I sewed about five pieces together about 3-4" square and made them into a needle holder book to keep in my sewing box cause I do lots of hq and hand sewing. Easier to find and my tomato pin cushion is too fat to fit in my sewing box if I want to close the cover. I just took a regular pen and wrote on the page the size needle.

Comment

Originally posted by jjkaiser View Post
      I know this sounds really dumb but I had some little pieces of warm and natural and I sewed about five pieces together about 3-4" square and made them into a needle holder book to keep in my sewing box cause I do lots of hq and hand sewing. Easier to find and my tomato pin cushion is too fat to fit in my sewing box if I want to close the cover. I just took a regular pen and wrote on the page the size needle.
      What a wonderful hint and I'm definitely making this (with some ugly fabric that I didn't want to use)! Thanks
      :icon_happy:

sigpic

Comment

Not real small pieces, but I use leftovers to cover foam core boards to lay out blocks.
        sigpic

Comment

I sew strips of batting together to make practice FMQ sandwiches. I save all my scraps, except the real narrow ones. Smaller pieces can be used for filling for small pillows/cushions. I bet they'd work for a dog or cat bed, but we have no pets.

Comment

I've used small batting pieces to make coasters, mug rugs and Christmas ornaments.

Comment

I also use my smaller pieces for in the hoop embroidery projects

Comment

What a fantastic idea! Thank you!!

Comment

I grab small pieces all the time to wipe down my machine after use to get any dust and whatever off it. Works a trick and grabs stuff nicely.
                  Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.

Comment

Please keep the ideas rolling! I have lots of bits and pieces especially since I got my long arm!

Speaking of my long arm, I sometimes have long skinny pieces of batting trimmed off. Sometimes I use these with scrap fabric and pin it to my leaders to check my tension. Sometimes people don't give me enough batting to have a test area on the edge of the quilt.
                    Vonnie

Comment

I have another idea. If you like to make quilt as you go quilts you could use the leftovers to make QAYG blocks. If you don't want to make a big quilt with the blocks you could make little table toppers. Or you could make little quilts for your local animal shelter - if they want them.

Comment

I put all my batting and smaller material scraps in a bag, when it gets big enough I sew up a fleece "pillow" and stuff them in to make a dog bed---the size depends on what dog I have in mind... The dogs I've given them to love them. My dog loves her bed, they mash a bit after they lay on them for awhile but they just need to be fluffed up. Washable and if you run out of puppers to give them to, I'm sure a shelter would take them.
                        ~~Sewin' Love w/ Quilting~~Lucy~~

Comment

I made a rag quilt consisting of 3" squares. Used up so much of my little pieces that way. It really made me feel as if I had accomplished something and I did because I used all of the small pieces and had to cut a few.

Comment

I haven't done this yet but you all got me thinking! I keep my car pretty clean, never have trash on the floor. One thing i really can't stand is dust accumulating on the dash. I don't know why it bugs me so, cause sometimes I swear I could write my name in the dust on my furniture in the L.R. And it wouldn't bother me! But I am gonna put some spare batting in the glove compartment to see if that is handy for wiping off the dash. Paper towels really don't work unless they are wet. Thanks for the idea.

Comment

I used long skinny strips of cotton batting to clean lime deposits off the bottom of my glass shower doors...I just soaked them in Lime a Way and they will stick all by themselves to the glass and metal. I kept the pads on there for a week, adding more Lime a Way to keep them wet. And about twenty years of yukky corrosion came off mostly just by dissolving. I only needed to do a little scrubbing.

Comment

Working...
                              X