DH's surgeon gives me a "free" exam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DH's surgeon gives me a "free" exam

My DH had his gallbladder removed on Friday. the surgeon comes out to talk to me and gives the usual post surgical talk. As he is leaving he looks back at me and then gets this real funny look on his face while staring at me. He then steps back into the room and is intensely looking at me. So at this point I'm thinking, um ok this is weird. The surgeon asks me to look up, then turn my head. He asks if I/family have any thyroid problems. No, I answer, and then he asks if he can touch my neck. He tells me I have a nodule on my thyroid gland. Well, I just had my yearly checkup in Sept and tell him all labs were normal and my dr didn't say anything about any lumps. The surgeon tells me all about thyroid nodules and how most are benign and also shares this lovely story about a guy who made a guest appearance on HGTV. A viewer noticed his lump, tracked him down, and saved the guys life from thyroid cancer. So of course, I laugh and tell the dr that's not really the story I wanted to hear! Anyway, he told me when we come in for two week follow up to remind him to order an ultrasound on my thyroid. Due to some complications from DH's sx we will be seeing him this Wednesday. I'll remind him about the ultrasound and hopefully we can get it scheduled quickly and get some answers. Now that this bump has been pointed out to me I can easily see it in the mirror. I don't know how my dr could have missed it unless it just grew up that fast in the last 4 months. Hopefully this will turn out to be completely benign like he said it most likely is.
    Melissa

I really hate it when the voices in my head argue among themselves as though I wasn't even in the room.

I tried to be normal once......worst two minutes of my life.

Re: DH's surgeon gives me a "free" exam

How very interesting. I actually remember that HGTV story. I hope it turns out to be non serious. Good for him for catching it!
    🌺 Lorie

Comment

That doctor is a keeper! Hope the ultrasound is scheduled quickly and there will be nothing further for you to worry about. And get well wishes to your husband, too.

Comment

The guy from HGTV is a host on Flip or Flop. I know several people who have had these on their thyroid. Some were cancerous, most were not. It's a very curable cancer when caught early. They remove the nodule and usually part of the thyroid, sometimes all of it. Then you take pills for three days that are radioactive, so either you or your family have to leave the house during that time, usually a week. Everyone I know who has had this is completely healthy and recovered. Your husbands doctor is a great guy! That is how I feel about MM's urologist. He pays just as much attention to me as he does to him.
        pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

I have multiple nodules on my thyroid and have had for many years.
          sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

What a good doctor! Better to check now than have problems later.
            Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Comment

You guys are awesome! I must be one of a few people that hasn't heard about the HGTV thyroid guy! Even my DH and DD heard about it!

While I don't post very often I do read everybody else's. It never ceases to amaze me the amount of love, support, and knowledge that is shared within this wonderful group of people.

Thank you for all that you do for everybody here. Thank you for all the prayers, well wishes, and happy thoughts that are so freely given to those who ask and especially to those who don't.
              Melissa

I really hate it when the voices in my head argue among themselves as though I wasn't even in the room.

Comment

That 'nodule' on my thyroid turned up over night!! They can do that, you know. Took two days before they found an open OR for the removal. Benign!!
                Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
                it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Comment

Originally posted by Sandy Navas View Post
                  That 'nodule' on my thyroid turned up over night!! They can do that, you know. Took two days before they found an open OR for the removal. Benign!!
                  Overnight! Wow that must have been scary!

I'll keep you guys posted. I need a nickname for it. I have been playfully referring to it as my "goiter". My mom suggested "Bob Jr" which is what we nicknamed her stepdads skin cancer tumor that he hide from everyone. Any suggestions on what I should call my new "friend"?
                  Melissa

Comment

I have multiple nodules on my thyroid too. I haven't had any 'grow up' yet. Hoping for a good outcome and quick healing for DH.
                    Cindy

Comment

Meli, adding you to my prayer list - praying it's nothing!
                      Great doctors are a blessing

Comment

I think you should name it Roy, as in thyRoyd. I know that's not how it's spelled but it worked. Good luck.
                        sigpic

Comment

Ah man, LauraP took my name, I agree with "Roy". I will keep you in my prayers.
                          Robin
                          My Pinterest Page of the Quilts I've Made: http://www.pinterest.com/rwmomto3/quilts-ive-made/

Comment

I have nodules on my thyroid also. Have had a couple of ultra sounds over the years and about 2 years ago had a biopsy done because the ultrasound showed some change in the size of the largest nodule. Benign

Comment

Hmm, I like Roy, but I was getting kind of fond of goiter also. Talked to DH and I think we will go with RG1 and then change number as needed! DH is a big football fan and while we don't care for RG3 on the field (and hopefully I don't have 3 nodules) he thinks that is a good name. So unless something better comes along we will go with Roy Goiter the first or RG1!
                              Melissa

Comment

Working...
                              X