Siri and Alexa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Siri and Alexa

I received an Amazon Echo Dot for xmas, and I have Siri on my iphone. Until recently I've never used Siri, and I kind of groaned at the thought of another techy thing to deal with (the Dot). Well, yesterday I used Siri a little more. I asked it to find me an address, which it did within seconds. I asked it for a coupon to Michaels, which came up within seconds, and then last night I asked Siri to "wake me up at 70 a.m." And by gosh, she did. (Setting the alarm time on my alarm clock is a MAJOR pita).

Siri-ously, I could get used to this.

Anyone else find a good use for Siri or the Echo?

Re: Siri and Alexa

There was a funny story on the Today show the other morning. The panel was talking to Alexa and one of them told it to shut up. It seems that if you had your TV on yours would shut up too. They really do listen...to anyone. lol
    🌺 Lorie

Comment

Our Amazon Echo has mostly turned into an expensive kitchen timer for us, but I like it anyway. I know you can ask it for cocktail recipes, it'll tell you your calendar events for the day, will give you traffic info for your morning drive, the day's news headlines, etc. It really is very versatile, I've just never really taken the time to find out everything it'll do.

I've about given up on Siri - she doesn't seem to understand me half the time.

Comment

It's fun to ask Siri funny questions. For instance, ask if he/she wants to build a snowman.

I use it a lot for timers an alarms too.
        pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

I just keep thinking about the Big Bang Theory and Barry Kripke trying to talk to Siri. Raj also had problems.
          Vonnie

Comment

I use the Amazon Echo a lot. Although I know there is much more she can do. We use it for our running shopping list. It is really handy while you are cooking and notice you are out of things - "Alexa add ___ to my shopping list". I can check traffic, I could see this being really helpful if I still had a long compute. I check the weather, play my Pandora music on it. My husband couldn't stay up to watch the Alabama/Clemson game so first thing in the morning he asked what the final score was While there are a number of devices that are readily available to me I love that I can just give voice commands rather than having to type something in. I love it!

Comment

I would love to have an Echo Dot. I don't have Siri but I talk to Google often.
              sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

My DH runs the football pool for his office. He gets all the scores from Siri. I haven't played around with it very much.
                Cindy

Comment

Being the homebody that I am, I decided against buying Alexa/Dot/Echo. I do talk to Google a lot on my phone. It's a great help when I don't feel like typing in my question or have my hands full.

Comment

We got the Echo for Christmas and I've started using it for making a shopping list. When I notice we are low or out of something, I just tell Alexa to put it on my shopping list because I will forget by the time we get around to making the list. I am working on getting things onto my calendar so she can remind me of what I need to do that day and I have used her a lot for playing music. The other day while cleaning, I felt like listening to Frank Sinatra. I don't have any Frank Sinatra but Alexa played a nice variety. I will keep exploring. And I like when I say good morning to her, she gives me an interesting or fun fact. I actually haven't used her for a timer yet but that would be real handy .
                    Ginny B

http://www.ginnyscraftbasket.wordpress.com

Comment

Ginny you made that sound fun. I would love it for music and the timer. My oven timer isn't very loud and neither is my little supermarket owl.

How does this work, off Wi-Fi? Anything else?
                      🌺 Lorie

Comment

I'm going to have to give in one of these days and get an Amazon Echo. So no one is asking quilting questions of theirs?

Comment

[QUOTE=Bubby;931829]I would love to have an Echo Dot. I don't have Siri but I talk to Google often.[/QUOTE

This made me think of a recent visit to the Grandkids. The youngest, 4 at the time, would say "google show me birds" her current favorite. Or foxes or whatever she wanted to look at. I thought that was pretty cute.

Comment

Originally posted by MNnancy View Post
                            I'm going to have to give in one of these days and get an Amazon Echo. So no one is asking quilting questions of theirs?
                            I've never thought to ask quilting questions. Now I will have to check that out. I remembered a couple other things I have used - basic math questions. Those were actually for quilting. Also how to spell things. I have used it for a back up alarm too. It's a pretty handy tool. I also had it play Christmas music during the holidays.

Comment

Siri is a huge help, a sort of external brain, for my mentally challenged friend. His memory is poor and he was unable to learn a lot of facts in school but Siri can answer just about any question better than I can...although he even has some trouble thinking of what the correct search words he should use to ask it the question.

Comment

Working...
                              X