X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carlie Wolf
    replied
    Re: Facebook frustrations

I think anyplace where you want to purchase something asks for you phone number but other then that I don't see a lot of it. I get annoyed when they keep asking for you cell phone number too.

Back in the day when we had newsgroups instead of twitter, FB social media I can recall when Google started the data base to keep anything that was ever written to archive. People were upset. You can still get those posts. It was one of the reasons many people used pseudo names. What is getting some people madder these days is that so much information is being data mined on people by our own government through places like FB etc. Sad that we seem to be so ready to give so much of this information freely and without thought. I think a lot of people would be aghast at what they would find if they did more than an elementary "search" on their own names.

Leave a comment:

• shirleyknot
    replied

How many websites besides FB ask you for your phone number?

Leave a comment:

• Suzette
    replied

Mischiefkat, this will happen when you post to a forum as well. Often when I search for something quilty a result will come up that is a post from a quilting forum. So it's not just FB.

Now you could argue that FB has your real name while we often don't do that for our forum names, but I know plenty of people on FB who do not use their whole or real name.

And I agree with you Judy. I keep all info on any site I join to an absolute minimum with little to no personal information.

Leave a comment:

• Lyndaj
    replied

Originally posted by cashs mom View Post
    At least you can try, Lynda. FB tracks everything. It doesn't matter what your "privacy settings" are. FB still knows and uses the information that you put on there any way that they want. I know there are good things about FB. I have access thru and friend's account, but rarely use it. I don't like a lot of the aspects of FB. So I guess I'll just lose out on some things but I have more peace of mind that FB geeks are tracking what I do and say.

But in reply to the OP's original post, I find using FB only extremely annoying and have told some small vendors I've met that. Who knows if it matters but I did tell them.
    I hate to tell you this, but if you think your personal info is safe on this forum, it's not.

Leave a comment:

• Judy, USMC
    replied

Did you know that if you did a search on your screen name that (if it is unique enough) a search result is a link to your M* Profile? So I agree that FB may be more secure than here. I think I'll modify or remove some info.

Leave a comment:

• mischiefkat
    replied

I know this thread is about FB, but several years ago I posted a question on a blog or another forum about something. I don't remember what I posted or were. Months later I was almost mortified to find my post as an item on a Goggle search I did. As far as I know it's still on Goggle. That's why I don't have a FB account. Kathy

Leave a comment:

• Carlie Wolf
    replied

I signed up for FB years ago before they asked as many personal question. None of my personal information is real and I had opened a gmail account specifically so I wouldn't have to use my regular email account. I have about 20 friends, most relatives and I never click on any of the surveys you see and I never give a reason for deleting posts I find there. I get more and more annoyed at all the ways they try to get you to tell them why you reject a post. I've also dumped by history before and after I go there. It does come in handy once in a while but I really don't like it. Funny thing though is that although most are relatives it's surprising how many send me a birthday message because FB says it's my birthday. Between my name and my birth date, and talking about it for years, this just down right amazes me. Yeah, I just click like and roll my eyes

Leave a comment:

• cashs mom
    replied

Originally posted by Lyndaj View Post
    Putting one notice on Facebook is SO much easier for shops and that is why they do it. You can set up your privacy settings in Facebook like everything else. There is nothing to be afraid of with Facebook. In fact, there are some awesome groups there. Just saying.
    At least you can try, Lynda. FB tracks everything. It doesn't matter what your "privacy settings" are. FB still knows and uses the information that you put on there any way that they want. I know there are good things about FB. I have access thru and friend's account, but rarely use it. I don't like a lot of the aspects of FB. So I guess I'll just lose out on some things but I have more peace of mind that FB geeks are tracking what I do and say.

But in reply to the OP's original post, I find using FB only extremely annoying and have told some small vendors I've met that. Who knows if it matters but I did tell them.

Leave a comment:

• snippet
    replied

Many people blame Facebook for a multitude of sins. You can join Facebook and be a lurker and all is well. The ads that show up use the very same method that Google, or Craftsy, or most any other blog uses - cookies. Clear out the cookies on your computer and the ads will change. They aren't watching you - you are leaving a trail that they are using.

I use Facebook and have my moments with them. I treat them like any other website I have joined - I go through their preferences and make my selections to keep out what I want. So far, it does fine.

I can understand the LQS wanting only one method of sending out their information. When you have websites, Facebook, email, hard copy newsletters, instagram, and Pinterest around, it's just a lot for a small business to maintain. One of my pet peeves is old out-dated information on websites. It just drives me crazy. I got in a tizzy about my LQS that I volunteered to clean it up for them. Now it's so much better!
    Last edited by snippet; January 12, 2017, 05:57 PM.

Leave a comment:

• JCY
    replied

I don't participate in fb. I've never felt any of the settings are totally secure. This Forum is the only "social media" in which I participate, & I'm careful what I post. I know some folks use fb for genealogy purposes. Other people say, "If I'm not on fb I have no way of knowing what may grand kids are doing or get to see pics of them." My LQSs have fb pages, which I occasionally check, but they both still use e-m to info. us of upcoming classes, sales, etc. Personally, I don't thing much of anything is secure anymore. "Big brother" is everywhere. We know the govt. has the ability to track e-mails, etc. Snail mail still works!

Leave a comment:

• Suzette
    replied

I belong to some fantastic groups on FB. I don't engage in any of the drama and nonsense that turn so many people away. My friends list is purposely very small - only family and friends I know very well. I think the internet in general has taken away our privacy and if you are online, you are no longer anonymous with or without a FB account. Lots of sites track us. FB is not exclusive to that.

But I heartily agree, to each his own. I know people who are happier without it. I love it, I use it wisely and I thoroughly enjoy the groups I've joined that have shared interests.

Leave a comment:

• bubba
    replied

I am a fb addict. I admit it. I love fb. I love the groups I belong to on fb. I love the people I chat with on fb......some are from here, but it's much easier to chat on fb with them. One of these people is Andrea. We talk at night my time and morning her time, nearly every single day.

I have settings in place and feel good about who can and can't access my information and page. My youngest daughters is so locked down it's unbelievable.....that's what you have to do with a crazy ex-husband.

Leave a comment:

• Claire OneStitchAtATime
    replied

It's wise to assume that all the information you put on the web -- via any means, Facebook, email or whatever -- is not secure. People can take screenshots and publish them; they can forward an email; it can be hacked. But MPyles is right that MSQ forum is even less secure than Facebook -- it is all google-able. Many members of the forum, though, have a ton of identifying information on the forum -- real names, addresses, birthdates, names of family members, vacation plans.

Leave a comment:

• KarenC
    replied

Lots of valid comments on this thread. I think we all need to remember, that no one is forcing us to go on FB. It's all a matter of choice, and the consequences of using it or not, or to what degree. I have it, but rarely post to it. I've learned to un-follow lots of "friends". And if I have something to say to someone, I simply send it in a private message. I don't care to know the political beliefs of my friends, what they're eating for dinner etc. If I want to spend my time reading what's going on with a friend/business, I can, but I also don't fault them for not sending me an email, invite, text, etc.

Have a great day everyone!

Leave a comment:

• kaydee
    replied

My only suggestion would be to just use facebook for the purpose of maintaining those contacts. Set up an account (use a fake name if that makes you feel better, though fb officially prohibits that). Add absolutely no other information, and don't use the account for anything else other than joining groups of interest and getting notifications from places in which you are interested.

That's basically how I use mine.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X