X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Claire OneStitchAtATime
    replied
    Re: Is Cooking Hard to learn?

Sharyn, has she asked for your help? If she has, then there are some good ideas in this thread. But if she hasn't, as an experienced adult daughter myself, I'd say let your daughter do her own thing and don't worry about it. We grownup daughters ask for advice when we need it and tend not to appreciate unsolicited advice.

Leave a comment:

• DramaMama
    replied

I don't mind cooking, but it's the cleanup that overwhelms me when I set out to even thinking about what to cook.

For the past 2 years I have made myself cook something new 2 - 3 times per week by finding new recipes on Pinterest -- LOTS of new family favs have been found this way.

Sometimes, it's a simple new side dish or a crockpot recipe for soup & dumplings or something easy!

No Martha Stewart recipes in my home, but still some good cooking. Would love to be able to get into the habit of making some freezer meals ... but I'm not that organized. At over 50 years old, I'm still surprised that at 5 p.m. it is ME that has to come up with the idea of WHAT to cook and then COOK it! Every day ... I'm surprised.

Check out Pinterest!

Leave a comment:

• Sylvia H
    replied

A very interesting thread. I agree that anyone can follow a recipe ... well, that is, if ... they understand the terminology. Does everyone know that 1 tsp is 1 teaspoon, and it is an exact measurment, not using the teaspoon in the cutlery drawer? Same for 1 tbs. Does everyone know the difference between tsp and tbs? Does everyone know the difference between dry and wet measurements? These are the areas where I see there can be a problem with even following a recipe.

I was not the best cook while I was raising my children (single parent). My daughter teases me now that I really didn't become a good cook until after they were all grown up and on their own - she is correct!

It takes knowledge (perhaps from experience) to understand how certain ingredients work together. And this knowledge allows you to create a dish without a recipe. For most of my life, I followed recipes - religiously. But I didn't pay attention to why the recipes worked. Now, I am getting better at understanding that certain combinations work, and they can be tranferred to other recipes. This also helps in creating new recipes and adapting existing recipes. EX - while I like tarragon in my egg salad, if I want to spice it up a bit with some chili powder, then I should eliminate the tarragon. The two do not blend well together.

Leave a comment:

• Angelia
    replied

Originally posted by LizTheScot View Post
    As a non-cook, I guess I don't see why it's a cause for concern. Your daughter apparently CAN cook and DID cook successfully for her family when the kids were younger. If it's not something she enjoys doing and no-one seems to be malnourished....

As to whether it's hard to learn to cook - what's difficult for one person may be as natural as breathing for another, even without additional challenges like OCD, dyslexia, autism etc etc. My vote is - spend as much time as you HAVE TO on things that you don't enjoy and spend as much time as you CAN on things you do enjoy. I'll happily live on cereal if it means I can spend more time at my sewing machine..... :-)
    Amen to this!

Leave a comment:

• LizTheScot
    replied

As a non-cook, I guess I don't see why it's a cause for concern. Your daughter apparently CAN cook and DID cook successfully for her family when the kids were younger. If it's not something she enjoys doing and no-one seems to be malnourished....

As to whether it's hard to learn to cook - what's difficult for one person may be as natural as breathing for another, even without additional challenges like OCD, dyslexia, autism etc etc. My vote is - spend as much time as you HAVE TO on things that you don't enjoy and spend as much time as you CAN on things you do enjoy. I'll happily live on cereal if it means I can spend more time at my sewing machine..... :-)

Leave a comment:

• cashs mom
    replied

I'd just let your daughter learn or not. Her choice. My mom tried to teach me. I had no interest. But when I moved out on my own, I learned. For a while, I didnt' cook much at all. Now I've developed some health problems and my diet is restricted so I cook a lot and eat good whole foods. When she needs/wants to, she'll figure it out.

Leave a comment:

• Hulamoon
    replied

Originally posted by jjkaiser View Post
    How about getting her to try making one recipe per week? That would give her or you lots of time to find one dish that appeals to her?
    That's a good idea. If she likes ground beef maybe she could try ground turkey. When I find a good recipe that I love I pretty much stick with it. This is my favorite turkey meatloaf. There is a video too.

http://www.inspiredtaste.net/21535/u...m_medium=email

Leave a comment:

• bakermom
    replied

we all learn differently. I would think someone with OCD would do better with a precise recipe. Others do better experimenting. Just like many of us as quilters, some need a written pattern and others create as they go. All 5 of my kids are great cooks. some follow a recipe to the letter, others like to throw things together. They all started out beside me in the kitchen as my helpers and grew from there.

Leave a comment:

• jjkaiser
    replied

How about getting her to try making one recipe per week? That would give her or you lots of time to find one dish that appeals to her?

Leave a comment:

• Midge
    replied

Originally posted by Sharyn J View Post
    Yes, she has gotten treatment and her OCD's are 1,000% better. The anxiety and panic attacks seldom happen these days, but do pop up occassioally. She is great at making a pot of chilli and burritos or anything Mexican. She doesn't eat any meat except ground beef or chicken but won't touch any chicken that has bones! It's very odd, but she doesn't even like foods hot; she waits until food is room temperature or cold. I know, it's odd.

I will forward her the FB links for easy recipes. I've tried many of them and most are quick and easy. Maybe she would do better with less ingredients and video instructions. Giving her motivation to learn is another story. Thanks to all for your suggestions.
    Glad to hear she is benefitting from treatment. Strange and restricted food choices are a big challenge too. It sounds though like her health is not affected by it and she is getting the nutrition she needs. My cousin's son had this type of anxious behavior from preschool years with an extremely restricted diet. It affected his health and now as an adult, hinders him socially a great deal. But that's not his only major problem.

I wonder if your daughter might be overwhelmed by just choosing from among many recipes. If she can make the choice without obsessing over the recipes and finally is unable to choose. Just something to be watchful of. If that is the case, ask her to appoint you her recipe researcher so you can do the choosing and send her one to try. Facebook is overwhelming for some. Not trying to critique you here, I know you want to help. But after 30+ years as a psychiatric nurse practitioner I always look for alternative approaches to avoid generating the terrible anxiety. Hope this helps.

Leave a comment:

• shirleyknot
    replied

I love my pasta roller!

Leave a comment:

• Hulamoon
    replied

Maybe if she had a little more fun in the kitchen it would ease her anxiety .I love gadgets. A spiralizer is a good example. You can use it on more vegetables than just zucchini. I love my new Cuisinart too. I made a big chopped salad in a few short minutes. I eat a lot of vegetables. lol

Leave a comment:

• Sharyn J
    replied

Originally posted by Midge View Post
    Agree, kimsophia. I suspect the daughter's anxiety gets in the way of tackling what feels to her like a huge hurdle. She has to be very motivated to take on her anxiety and make strategies to manage it so she can produce a meal. It sounds like she doesn't have that motivation. Well, if she has a severe anxiety disorder and she can function well in other aspects of her life I guess you could look on the bright side and be thankful for that. On the other hand, there is effective treatment to manage OCD symptoms. Has she gotten treatment or is it easier for her to get out of things?
    Yes, she has gotten treatment and her OCD's are 1,000% better. The anxiety and panic attacks seldom happen these days, but do pop up occassioally. She is great at making a pot of chilli and burritos or anything Mexican. She doesn't eat any meat except ground beef or chicken but won't touch any chicken that has bones! It's very odd, but she doesn't even like foods hot; she waits until food is room temperature or cold. I know, it's odd.

I will forward her the FB links for easy recipes. I've tried many of them and most are quick and easy. Maybe she would do better with less ingredients and video instructions. Giving her motivation to learn is another story. Thanks to all for your suggestions.

Leave a comment:

• Murphy224
    replied

"Although, to her credit, she cooked well balanced meals while raising her children and they're all good eaters. They all grew up without being malnurished or poisoned by her cooking."

Dear dear Sharon: Seems to me your work on teaching her to cook is done. If she has raised kids and they thrived, she has done something right. You don't say how old she is or whether she wants your help now or not. I say just enjoy your hot toddy and focus on something else.....say quilting LOL. I truly understand your frustration. Some of the biggest arguments my daughter and I ever had was over cooking, housework, minor home maintenance ie changing light bulbs, filters, etc. We just spoke a different language, had different goals, and ambitions.
    She once told me she would just hire someone to do those things for her, well she can and does. I don't think she has turned on a vacuum in over 8 years. She has a maid and cooking is the only "domestic" type thing she does.
    She is an amazing cook who loves to cook. She is now teaching her 7 year old daughter to cook and they are both loving it. I say more power to her!!

Leave a comment:

• Midge
    replied

Originally posted by kimsophia View Post
    You succeeded at teaching it, as your sons learned it. But with the OCD and the lack of interest because she's a picky eater, yes, it is hard with those challenges for your daughter to learn how. It isn't your teaching at fault. Enjoy the booze
    Agree, kimsophia. I suspect the daughter's anxiety gets in the way of tackling what feels to her like a huge hurdle. She has to be very motivated to take on her anxiety and make strategies to manage it so she can produce a meal. It sounds like she doesn't have that motivation. Well, if she has a severe anxiety disorder and she can function well in other aspects of her life I guess you could look on the bright side and be thankful for that. On the other hand, there is effective treatment to manage OCD symptoms. Has she gotten treatment or is it easier for her to get out of things?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X