Is Cooking Hard to learn?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is Cooking Hard to learn?

I know that's a strange question because most of us have to cook occassionally. My grandmothers were both terrific cooks; my mother was a good cook too, but didn't enjoy it as much. However, she always showed me how to do things.

My eldest son is a fantastic cook. He learned much all on his own. Yes, he would e-mail and ask me how I did things and then tried himself and became a great cook.

My middle son is a meat & potatoes guy and he will eat just about anything, except spinach. He can at least make some simple meals like spaghetti and he's pretty good at simple meals as long as he has meat & potatoes! He has watched me make beef & veggie soup many times and now makes his own. Very tasty!

My daughter? She can't cook a wink and I'm beside myself at trying to help her. She just doesn't seem to take interest because she's such a picky eater. Although, to her credit, she cooked well balanced meals while raising her children and they're all good eaters. They all grew up without being malnurished or poisoned by her cooking. This girl can actually screw up a meal in the crockpot! How does one cook a pot roast for 9 hours and then decide to put in some potatoes? "Mom, the potatoes were still hard and the meat tasted like leather!" "No kidding Watson!"

It's really hard to teach her anything. Her OCD gets in the way and I just don't have the patience to make sure that I add even amounts. I mean, who the heck counts the carrots or potatoes, so it's an even number? Yikes.......,
    I'm off to find my Kahlua and make myself a hot toddy! In fact, I may have ten of them!

Re: Is Cooking Hard to learn?

I don't think it's hard. I think it's fun! When Tyler lived with us, he was responsible to cook one dinner a week. Figure out what we were having, making sure we had the stuff to make it and then he would have to fix it. Of course, being a boy in high school, for the first couple weeks it was the same thing - rice a roni, hamburger and celery. Think fried rice, kinda. But he cooked it! He started branching out and was happy when his mom moved up from Portland at winter break so he could go back to her house. She thought our idea was so great that he got to cook one meal a week at her house too!!
    pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

Is she on Facebook? Have her "like" Delish, 12 Tomatoes, The Kitchn, Tasty, or other cooking sites. Their videos are excellent for inspiring cooking.

Comment

Originally posted by MNnancy View Post
        Is she on Facebook? Have her "like" Delish, 12 Tomatoes, The Kitchn, Tasty, or other cooking sites. Their videos are excellent for inspiring cooking.
        These days, I get a lot of my recipes from fb. Just last night, I made shrimp fettucine. Here is the recipe....

6 oz melted butter
        1/2 cup white wine
        salt/pepper
        one tablespoon lemon juice

In a casserole, add the above to one pound, peeled/deveined shrimp and bake 15 minutes in a 400 degree oven. While it's cooking, boil spaghetti, then drain and once the shrimp are cooked and pink, stir the pasta into the mix and serve.

It was as good as any I've ever ordered in a restaurant.
        pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

You succeeded at teaching it, as your sons learned it. But with the OCD and the lack of interest because she's a picky eater, yes, it is hard with those challenges for your daughter to learn how. It isn't your teaching at fault. Enjoy the booze

Comment

Cooking is a "want to" kind of thing, much like quilting. If you don't really want to, you will never be good at it.

Comment

Shirley is absolutely right. I have written 4 cookbooks and will tell you, if you can read, you can cook. However, if you don't want to cook you WON"T read.
              My middle daughter told me when she was about 17 that she didn't need to learn to cook. She would either marry a congressman or a chef. lol. Well, she didn't and now she is 44 and a fantastic cook. She is a perfectionist and she follows recipes to the inth degree. If its not perfect, she throws it out and starts over...little bit OCD, you think?...anyway...she became a great cook and is even enjoying it...not as much as she enjoys quilting and embroidery...but enough to happily feed 4 children. She homeschools too, because, as she said...I am an educated woman, a teacher and why would I give my talents to the public when I have 4 children that can have the individual attention. They are the ones that matter in my life right now.
              Walk in peace with the Lord by your side.
              Terry

Comment

I am a decent cook but being married 42 years it feels like a chore to me, as does grocery shopping. Personally I wouldn't mind having cereal for supper every night, or grilled cheese. Too bad my dh doesn't feel that way! He does a lot of cooking though. He likes to make fish, which I don't like, so he always cooks that. I also don't like trying or making new dishes.

Comment

I like to cook and am a passable cook. My family and I get bored of the same thing a the time. I like to experiment but hubby hates it. Hubby does not cook at all. My youngest son will cook for us now and then or hep me with the experimental dishes. Oldest son sometimes finds us new recipes. I get hep each week with the menu for the week and what day it will be served. This helps me not be always accountable for a bad dish. By nature I am a baker and love making breads , cookies, pies and cakes. If left on my own devices we would eat cereal, and sandwiches and dessert.
                  sigpic:icon_hug: Iris Girl = April = fabric, Fabric FABRIC!!
                  Time spent with cats is never wasted.
                  Sigmund Freud

Comment

I agree with Shirley and Terry, you gotta wanna Cooking is a science and it works best to follow a recipe. Most people start cooking something and then their mind and body wanders off and they have disaster on their hands. You can't zone out or try to multi-task if you want success and a good meal. I think you do have to make a real effort in the beginning and then you'll decide if you love or hate cooking. If you really don't like to cook there are businesses that offer healthy meals that you order then go by, pay and pick up food for the week.
                    The first couple years of marriage my DH was sure I was trying to poison him. It took me reading and following two cookbooks plus a couple of years to get the hang of cooking. Thirty two years later and a wall of ribbons for baking, canning and cooking I feel like I made it!
                    At my age if I didn't like cooking I sure wouldn't waste my time trying to turn out meals! Life is to short to do something you don't like. Having to go to work everyday is enough of a pain!
                    :icon_happy:

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by kimsophia View Post
                      You succeeded at teaching it, as your sons learned it. But with the OCD and the lack of interest because she's a picky eater, yes, it is hard with those challenges for your daughter to learn how. It isn't your teaching at fault. Enjoy the booze
                      Agree, kimsophia. I suspect the daughter's anxiety gets in the way of tackling what feels to her like a huge hurdle. She has to be very motivated to take on her anxiety and make strategies to manage it so she can produce a meal. It sounds like she doesn't have that motivation. Well, if she has a severe anxiety disorder and she can function well in other aspects of her life I guess you could look on the bright side and be thankful for that. On the other hand, there is effective treatment to manage OCD symptoms. Has she gotten treatment or is it easier for her to get out of things?

Comment

"Although, to her credit, she cooked well balanced meals while raising her children and they're all good eaters. They all grew up without being malnurished or poisoned by her cooking."

Dear dear Sharon: Seems to me your work on teaching her to cook is done. If she has raised kids and they thrived, she has done something right. You don't say how old she is or whether she wants your help now or not. I say just enjoy your hot toddy and focus on something else.....say quilting LOL. I truly understand your frustration. Some of the biggest arguments my daughter and I ever had was over cooking, housework, minor home maintenance ie changing light bulbs, filters, etc. We just spoke a different language, had different goals, and ambitions.
                        She once told me she would just hire someone to do those things for her, well she can and does. I don't think she has turned on a vacuum in over 8 years. She has a maid and cooking is the only "domestic" type thing she does.
                        She is an amazing cook who loves to cook. She is now teaching her 7 year old daughter to cook and they are both loving it. I say more power to her!!

Comment

Originally posted by Midge View Post
                          Agree, kimsophia. I suspect the daughter's anxiety gets in the way of tackling what feels to her like a huge hurdle. She has to be very motivated to take on her anxiety and make strategies to manage it so she can produce a meal. It sounds like she doesn't have that motivation. Well, if she has a severe anxiety disorder and she can function well in other aspects of her life I guess you could look on the bright side and be thankful for that. On the other hand, there is effective treatment to manage OCD symptoms. Has she gotten treatment or is it easier for her to get out of things?
                          Yes, she has gotten treatment and her OCD's are 1,000% better. The anxiety and panic attacks seldom happen these days, but do pop up occassioally. She is great at making a pot of chilli and burritos or anything Mexican. She doesn't eat any meat except ground beef or chicken but won't touch any chicken that has bones! It's very odd, but she doesn't even like foods hot; she waits until food is room temperature or cold. I know, it's odd.

I will forward her the FB links for easy recipes. I've tried many of them and most are quick and easy. Maybe she would do better with less ingredients and video instructions. Giving her motivation to learn is another story. Thanks to all for your suggestions.

Comment

Maybe if she had a little more fun in the kitchen it would ease her anxiety .I love gadgets. A spiralizer is a good example. You can use it on more vegetables than just zucchini. I love my new Cuisinart too. I made a big chopped salad in a few short minutes. I eat a lot of vegetables. lol
                            🌺 Lorie

Comment

I love my pasta roller!

Comment

Working...
                              X