Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cold Temps turned a Night Owl to an Early Bird!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cold Temps turned a Night Owl to an Early Bird!

I'm usually a night owl who goes off to bed around 3 or 4 am.

Couldn't get to sleep because it's been so cold here on the NC coast that the cold water pipe in the exterior kitchen wall is frozen. First time this has happened in 30 years! Stayed awake to keep watch in case it burst. Well, to tell if there is damage, the water needs to be running so it has to thaw first ... and that hasn't happened yet. It's only suppose to get into the mid 30's so it may not even happen today. I do have a lamp in the under-sink cabinet but the only way to get to the entire pipe is to cut through the exterior siding - and that isn't going to happen unless that pipe bursts.

Leaving early tomorrow for an overnight trip so if the water isn't flowing by then I'll have to shut it off at the main and check it when I return ... It will be 60 F (15.5 C) and will be definitely thawed by Wednesday evening.

Anyone else having weather related problems? Hear that the west coast is having flooding and mud slides. I'm positive that that either would be a bigger problem than my one frozen pipe!

Re: Cold Temps turned a Night Owl to an Early Bird!

Judy, happens often here in the mountains. Get a hair dryer and get under the sink and aim it at the pipes. The lamp will help but the hair dryer is pretty fast.
    Walk in peace with the Lord by your side.
    Terry

Comment

Good idea Grammaterry, That is what we do in Wisconsin. The other thing we do is keep the water running in a trickle, of course that wastes water. but if the pipes are in danger of bursting it is better to waste than to pay for bursting pipes.

Comment

Success! Luckily the kitchen is on the south side of the building and as the sun came out it heated that wall. The water has now started running! Hopefully we won't get temps below 20 again!

Originally posted by grammaterry View Post
        Get a hair dryer and get under the sink and aim it at the pipes. The lamp will help but the hair dryer is pretty fast.
        Unfortunately only the stub-outs are visible and I could tell there is a double layer of drywall and the pipes actually run through the outside wall studs closer to the siding than the drywall. The hairdryer tip would work in Chicago ... the pipes are visible in the cabinet. But then I only have to keep the cabinet doors open and the house temp keeps them from freezing.

Thanks for the advice ... I think the drip is the way to go next time.

Comment

Yes, cold weather has invaded much of the area that we like to think is in the south and it doesn't get cold. We have seen some single digit temps and I am glad that it made it above freezing today, almost a heat wave, 41 degrees.
          I stayed away from my sewing for a couple days while it was coldest, my sewing is in the basement and it was chilly there so I gave myself a couple of days off. I completed all I had started and planned to do soon so now when I go back in a couple days I get to start a new project, not sure what it will be but maybe something improv for me.
          Glad your pipe thawed without too much help. Keep on sewing, so much more fun than thawing pipes.
          Sue

Comment

Glad your pipe thawed out. I know what a headache that can be. We have a problem once in a while with the pipe under the sink in the master bedroom. It is on the outside wall and the windy side. My husband cut a hole in the bottom of the cabinet so we can run the hair dryer to thaw it out and even now, we leave the doors open a bit overnight.

Comment

Our kitchen sink is on an exterior wall and we always leave the doors open so the heat can get underneath and leave the hot water running a trickle overnight. Same with the tub in the master bath. Frozen pipes suck.
              Patrice S

Comment

The pipes in the restaurant freeze pretty often on the outside wall and the hair dryer works even thru the wall. Here at home, it freezes at the well which really sucks. We put a lightbulb in the well cover and that helps but on these really cold nights, we leave the water dripping in all the faucets, put a lightbulb under the well cover and also a small heater under the well cover. After 35 years here we have come to the realization that the expense of the electricity is well worth it . Of course, the water is basically free from the well. The restaurant is a different matter, the water is painfully expensive in town but again, I have to have water to run the restaurant and when the pipes freeze we are basically shut down.
                Walk in peace with the Lord by your side.
                Terry

Comment

Glad your pipe survived Judy. Hope everyone keeps their pipes, pets, and plants warm this winter. I left my plants out a day too long and they have died. I'll bring them in and see if maybe, just maybe, the roots are ok and they will grow again this spring. I didn't have many, but I did lose a nice jade plant and my Christmas cactus.

I've had a migraine for 2 days. I've been taking LOTS of Tylenol because I'm out of my migraine med and can't get a refill until I see the doc next week. argh. Right now I feel better, but I'm watching the weather for another storm to come and whack me upside the head - literally.

I think it's pretty warm out today, but I'm staying inside and have no heat. When I have migraines, I need cold and dark. Sound doesn't bother me, but light sure does.

Comment

Working...
                  X