X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rebeccas-sewing
    replied
    Re: A Disappointment at Whole Foods

Writing checks is becoming quite archaic in this day and age. It's at the point now that I'm only writing checks for services. I had no idea that there are stores that are no longer accepting checks. I guess the debit card is the replacement.

Leave a comment:

• GuitarGramma
    replied

Small businesses can't win for losing. Do you know that there are a number of legitimate small businesses who have had their assets seized by the IRS because they deposit a lot of cash? They're suspected of money laundering. Without so much as a chance to defend themselves, cash-heavy small businesses are having their bank accounts frozen and who knows what else. ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-j9wnt6UkDM ) Then they have to go to court to try to get their own money.

I agree, there are purchases I would like to make without anyone being able to trace it (particularly books about corrupt politicians, I worry about being traced). And there are a lot of folks who cash their weekly paychecks and strictly use cash. But if a small business is being harassed by the IRS, what else can they do? They have to survive for the sake of supporting their families.

Leave a comment:

• Anna Leigh
    replied

I remember 10 years ago I was standing waiting in line at a local drug store and this much older lady was trying to write out a check to pay for her items. It was not that she couldn't write out the check, it was the a-hole behind her in line hovering over her impatiently while she was writing out her check. It didn't help that he was saying horrible things to her in the process too. I regret not standing up to her defence. As the world keeps on progressing I don't think anyone stops to realize that it takes the same amount of time to swipe your card as it does to write out a check. I still have checks to pay my big bills. I refuse to pay for them online to even write my card number on a bill. Sounds silly, I know. But like many others I grew up in the era of check writing however, my daughter and the next generation etc. will probably never use a check or ever have to balance a checkbook. Yep, they will be missing out that is for sure. Sorry to hear about the check refusal. I could not even imagine how that must of felt.

Leave a comment:

• Caroline T.
    replied

No cash policies have a reason though. Many banks now charge their business customers a "cash handling fee" which can be as high as some of the credit card fees. Also there's the risk of theft, both by armed robbers, as well as employees, so the business could end up with higher insurance premiums if they are in a high risk business.

Sadly it seems there really is no true right way anymore.

Leave a comment:

• lourixe
    replied

I always pay cash at family owned businesses because I know banks charge them fees otherwise. In my country it is illegal to pay cash for expenses above 2,500 though.

Leave a comment:

• mischiefkat
    replied

Originally posted by grammaterry View Post
    I remember the old Saturday Night LIve and Johnny carson skits that joked about not taking cash. I remember saying when a place wouldn't take cash I would take my business there. We have stopped dealing with two distributors at our restaurant because they won't take cash. It makes it difficult for us, but it seems un-American to me and I refuse to let the government dictate to me that everything and every purchase must be accounted for. I generally buy my gas with a card but that is beause I really don't want to go inside. At my restaurant, a great amount of our expense is in Credit nd debit card fees. They charge us 3% for your convenience.
    Somewhere in my our travels or some place we lived there was a store that gave you the credit card expense as a discount if you paid cash.

Leave a comment:

• grammaterry
    replied

I remember the old Saturday Night LIve and Johnny carson skits that joked about not taking cash. I remember saying when a place wouldn't take cash I would take my business there. We have stopped dealing with two distributors at our restaurant because they won't take cash. It makes it difficult for us, but it seems un-American to me and I refuse to let the government dictate to me that everything and every purchase must be accounted for. I generally buy my gas with a card but that is beause I really don't want to go inside. At my restaurant, a great amount of our expense is in Credit nd debit card fees. They charge us 3% for your convenience.

Leave a comment:

• sydneybean
    replied

I use checks where ever they are accepted. I don't pay any bills on line so I write checks for all of them.

Leave a comment:

• Kim T
    replied

Originally posted by Snip Snip View Post
    I heard on tv last week that some chain stores are considering not taking cash anymore, just debit/credit. I think that would be illegal.
    Don't know about the legality but when you deal with a lot of cash there is more chance for errors to be made with the transaction. You also have the risk of theft, storing and depositing the money. Although there are downsides to taking any form of payment, including charge backs that can occur with credit cards not to mention the merchant fees. The more rewards you receive on your credit card the more a merchant pays in additional processing fees.

Leave a comment:

• Carolnnc
    replied

When I read this thread I asked my hubby did he know where the check book was. He said he hadn't used it in a couple of years and had no idea where it was. I can't remember the last time I wrote a check either so I guess I better look for it soon.
    My elderly mom was out of town and was running low on gas. She stopped, pumped her gas and went in to pay. The man told her he wouldn't take her check. She started laughing and told him he had to either take the check or figure a way to get the gas back out of the car. She explained she had no cash on her and didn't own a credit or debit card. He took the check.
    We frequent a BBQ place that has never taken anything but cash. They finally put an ATM in the lobby. It's never stopped us from eating there, we just remind each other to make sure we have cash so we won't have to wash dishes.

Leave a comment:

• JCY
    replied

Yes, Whole Foods items generally are much higher. You have to know prices. But there a few items I can get only there. In my area, we have Vitamin Cottage, which I routinely shop at -- and they take checks! I buy spelt flour for DH's bread there. We also have a Lucky's Market as well as a Sprouts. I like Sprouts because of their bulk food items. It's the only place in town where I can buy raw, blanched peanuts. They also have very nice avocados, which were hard to come by--or were very expensive-- there for a while. Anyway, in the future, if I go to WF, I'll be prepared with cash.

Leave a comment:

• Deegles
    replied

I use cash. I limit the probability of fraud and theft from my account. I feel pretty safe carrying cash as these days. I have heard of no one getting mugged in the big city. And for those of you who leave your purse open in your shopping cart (yes you do, I have seen it way to many times), you are inviting a thief. Be careful.

Leave a comment:

• Midge
    replied

Originally posted by EnumclawGramma View Post
    I disagree with this. I think your spending habits speak volumes about your lifestyle and there will come a day when your health care and what you qualify for will be directly related to all that.
    Yes, when we have a totalitarian society. For sure. And some employers won't hire you if you smoke tobacco or are overweight now. That's not totalitarian, and it is legal. But money is different. For now, it takes a subpeona from an investigative agency to gain access to banking records and in case you are not aware, a subpeona must be signed by a Judge and probable cause of a crime must be submitted in the request. I don't understand the fuss over currency and banking laws that have not changed.

Leave a comment:

• KarenC
    replied

I don't shop WF because of the "whole Foods, Whole Paycheck" theory. Their prices are a lot higher than my local HEB, who has similar quality. The only thing I buy there is the Chantilly cake from the bakery. It is the BEST!

As for not accepting checks, the only checks I write these days is for my water bill, because the utility district charges a fee to pay electronically with debit or credit cards. So, I end up prepaying my water bill for 2-3 months because I don't like checks. I use my credit card, get the reward points and pay off the bill each month to avoid finance charges.

Leave a comment:

• Hulamoon
    replied

Originally posted by gribzoid View Post
    There's an new fast food salad place near me (SweetGreens) and they only take credit cards or you can pay with their app. Annoying but I enjoy their food. My gym also does not accept cash or credit cards. As opposed to a small neighborhood non profit that I worked at several years ago which had children's classes and they would only take cash and checks. Too afraid of credit cards. You can't win.
    So your gym only takes debit cards and checks?

I'm trying to understand the logic in all these combinations. lol

Leave a comment:

Working...
X