A Disappointment at Whole Foods

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A Disappointment at Whole Foods

We've been waiting for a year for this new store to open in our town. It finally opened on Dec. 16. I stopped by there yest. a.m. for a few items. WF is closer to me than the Natural Grocers/Vitamin Cottage where I usually shop.
    I found what I needed (plus a few more goodies!) and was at the check stand writing out my check when the checker says, "Oh, we don't take checks." Since when, I asked. "Probably 2 years ago. We have no way to process them." Sigh. So I had to pay for my groc. with my credit card, which I did not want to do. So buyer beware. Only cold cash or a credit or debit card will get you items at Whole Foods stores. I think they should have a sign posted that says "No checks" so people will know up front what their policy is. I think my shopping at WF will be very limited.

Re: A Disappointment at Whole Foods

We always pay with a debit card these days as a lot of places don't take checks. I don't frequent Whole Foods because I find them to be quite expensive. Trader Joes is right across the street and they are so friendly and helpful there, so that is where I normally stop.
    pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

I don't think I would shop anywhere they didn't accept common legal tender. And Isn't there a law somewhere they HAVE to?

Comment

It's a policy decision. Our little sundry store used too, but stopped because of bad checks. They used to post the offenders before they just said sorry no more. Restaurants can tell you to leave too.
        🌺 Lorie

Comment

Originally posted by Hulamoon View Post
          It's a policy decision. Our little sundry store used too, but stopped because of bad checks. They used to post the offenders before they just said sorry no more. Restaurants can tell you to leave too.
          That's why a lot of places don't take checks anymore. It's too easy to get a bad check. I don't like to write checks anyway so I always use cash or credit cards.
          Patrice S

Comment

I heard on tv last week that some chain stores are considering not taking cash anymore, just debit/credit. I think that would be illegal.

Comment

I don't like Whole Foods. Big grocery stores make me crazy.

Comment

Big? hmm... our Whole Foods stores are VERY small.

We are quickly becoming the "cashless" society and I am to blame - I never carry cash and hardly ever write a check.
                Donna

Comment

I only use my debit card at the ATM at the bank. Otherwise I use the credit card because if someone steals my info I can call the credit card company and put a stop to it. I have friends that had their checking account emptied by debit card theft!

They should have methods of payment clearly posted.
                  Vonnie

Comment

There is a very popular BBQ place between San Antonio and Austin called Salt Lick and they only accept cash - no checks, no plastic. They have been doing very well for years doing a strictly cash business, so before we go to eat we have to make sure to have enough cash on hand. Their web site boldly says they are a cash only place, but I don't recall seeing any signs at the restaurant. But I wasn't really looking for any either, so there might have been some.

It's strange how much I've changed over the years. I don't carry much cash with me anymore - maybe $20 is all I have in my wallet.

Comment

The law is legal tender..cash. Checks and plastic are not legal tender.

Comment

There's nothing wrong here. It's long accepted contract law. A store can specify its terms for a contract transaction, as can the customer. Cash is legal tender, however there is no obligation or federal law requiring a business to accept cash in a transaction either. Thus you see "no cash" disclaimers in mail orders, credit or debit or electronic forms of payment only. With the amount of time it takes for checks to clear, I am surprised any businesses take them.

Reference: https://www.treasury.gov/resource-ce...al-tender.aspx

Comment

Originally posted by Snip Snip View Post
                          I heard on tv last week that some chain stores are considering not taking cash anymore, just debit/credit. I think that would be illegal.
                          I think the govt is wanting everything to go to electronic money. Much easier to keep track of what everyone is doing then. Personally, I don't like that idea at all.
                          Patrice S

Comment

There's an new fast food salad place near me (SweetGreens) and they only take credit cards or you can pay with their app. Annoying but I enjoy their food. My gym also does not accept cash or credit cards. As opposed to a small neighborhood non profit that I worked at several years ago which had children's classes and they would only take cash and checks. Too afraid of credit cards. You can't win.
                            Marilyn from New York City

Comment

Originally posted by cashs mom View Post
                              I think the govt is wanting everything to go to electronic money. Much easier to keep track of what everyone is doing then. Personally, I don't like that idea at all.
                              Believe me when I say if the government is watching you your fast food purchases hold no interest for them. There is nothing illegal about specifying the acceptable forms of purchase and it has ALWAYS BEEN THAT WAY. smh

Comment

Working...
                              X