New Kitchen Gadgets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New Kitchen Gadgets

Good Morning: I don't have this brand, I have the PowerCooker XL. I've had it for over 2 years. What I like about it, is that it is a pressure cooker, steamer, crock pot, etc. I had a pressure cooker to use on the stove - my mom used them, etc. I love this electric one as it has safety measures. It can also be used to can goods. Granted, you can only do a few jars at a time, but that's usually all I do. Many times I will take meat out of the freezer and put directly in pot - use the pressure cooker mode to start to get it cooking and thawing - then, put it on the crock pot mode for the rest of the day. Meat comes out really tender. I, too, can be very skeptical when it comes to new items, but this is one item I really like.

Comment

I just bought one of the pressure cookers to replace the larger stove top one I used for years. So far I really like it, mainly because you don't have to monitor it like you do a stovetop one. I've made roasts, stuffed peppers and chicken. Next I want to try stroganoff.
      “What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world, is and remains immortal.”

― Albert Pine

Comment

The three lb. boneless turkey breast took thirty-two minutes to cook. The smell was only noticeable around the fryer and not all over the house. My dog did know it was cooking, he was waiting at the bottom of the stairway. I think it will do just what I wanted.
        sigpic

Comment

Carolyn, I have the Instant Pot and I love it! I've been using a stove-top pressure cooker for over 40 yrs and decided it was time to keep up with today's technology, therefore my purchase of the Instant Pot.

We like stews, soups and I make a lot of chicken and/or beef enchiladas and this pot is really great. You can try the videos for the Instant Pot to get a handle on the process and techniques. http://instantpot.com/

I also got the book of Bob Warden's "Great Food Fast." I like this book because it calls for ingredients that are normally in your kitchen/pantry..........no weird indgredients that I can't or won't find, just normal stuff. If you go to Amazon, you can peek into the book and see some of the recipes.

I've made rice, soup, stewed beef or chicken, saute feature, baked potatoes, steamed veggies, etc. So far, everything has been quick, easy, and tastes good. I wish they would have had a pot like this when I was young! ........Oh, so many years ago! LOL

Comment

The Instant Pot is definitely not an infomercial product - but I can see how the name would cause you to think so. I bought mine several months ago, because I wanted a second crock pot. Little did I know how enamored I would be with the pressure cooker feature. I regularly cook dried beans. I like to soak them first, although with the pressure cooker, I am told that the presoaking is not necessary. Yesterday, I cooked a pound of soaked navy beans in less than 30 minutes in the pressure cooker. I don't know the exact time, as I wasn't timing it. It was only 8 minutes at the high pressure level, but you have to add on the time to get to that level, and then the time for the natural pressure release. If I had done this on the stove, it would have definitely needed 2 hours, or more.

The next thing I am going to make is steel cut oatmeal. The regular and quick cook oatmeals shouldn't be cooked in a pressure cooker, but steel cut is okay.

I have read that the electric pressure cookers are not good for canning, because the amount of pressure is less than needed. Those that go on the stovetop have a higher pressure level.

I am thrilled that I can prepare some of my favorite dishes in less time - and with using less electricity as well!

The Instant Pot has setting for rice, yogurt, and also can be used as a slow cooker. Amazon has frequent sales on the 6 quart model. I would LOVE to have the 8 quart model, but it doesn't go on sale, and I can't justify the cost - yet!
            If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you.- Zig Ziglar

Comment

Thanks, Sylvia, for your review. I cook a lot of stews in the winter, so I may have to take a look at these. What brand are you using?
              Cindy

Comment

Working...
              X