What to do? Need advice please.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What to do? Need advice please.

So, my M-I-L has cancer again. I believe DH and I determined that this is the 6th cancer she has had. It all started with breast cancer 25 or so years ago. Breast cancer runs in her family as her sister died from it.

At any rate, here is my dilemma. I'm thinking I should make her a quilt as she is having some awful treatment for this one.

My sixth sense is yelling that this cancer will kill her and in the not too distant future. I do not wish this, this is just what my sixth sense is telling me, and it tends to be correct.

So, I'm afraid that if I'm right, my S-I-L will want to give me the quilt back because she won't want it around as a reminder and I honestly wouldn't want it back.

I feel bad not making a quilt, but.....

Re: What to do? Need advice please.

IMO - Make it. It will give your MIL comfort during this tough road, and isn't that the purpose of making a quilt for someone, to comfort them while they are with us?

If, and I stress the "If", your MIL succumbs to this time around with cancer, you still have options with the quilt if you nor your SIL want it.
    1. Have the quilt placed in the casket with MIL
    2. Donate it to your local American Cancer Society, Hospice, or other organization that specifically helps those with cancer.
    3. Save it for one of your MIL's grandchildren as a reminder of her.

Comment

Originally posted by Caroline T. View Post
      IMO - Make it. It will give your MIL comfort during this tough road, and isn't that the purpose of making a quilt for someone, to comfort them while they are with us?

If, and I stress the "If", your MIL succumbs to this time around with cancer, you still have options with the quilt if you nor your SIL want it.
      1. Have the quilt placed in the casket with MIL
      2. Donate it to your local American Cancer Society, Hospice, or other organization that specifically helps those with cancer.
      3. Save it for one of your MIL's grandchildren as a reminder of her.
      My thoughts exactly. My prayers are with you and your family
      Melissa

I really hate it when the voices in my head argue among themselves as though I wasn't even in the room.

I tried to be normal once......worst two minutes of my life.

Comment

I think its a wonderful idea . And when you give it to her, tell her you have sewn in your prayers for her and perhaps the hope will get her thru this terrible saga of her life.

Comment

I also say 'make it'! As someone who has been through some of this with our son's fiance, making the quilt for her can also be therapeutic for you. I prayed, asked God for strength and comfort for Jill, and thought of her with every stitch I made in her quilt. Prayers and well-wishes to you and your family.

Comment

I so agree with what the forum members have said. It will give your MIL comfort and knowledge that she is in your prayers. Sending prayers for your family and MIL.

Comment

Yes go ahead and make it.
              Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Comment

Do make her a quilt. It will be a comfort to both of you. If it is returnned make a donation to her favorite charity or Hospice.
                "Never stop believing that fighting for what is right is worth it"
                Hillary Clinton

Comment

Originally posted by Lyndaj View Post
                  So, my M-I-L has cancer again. I believe DH and I determined that this is the 6th cancer she has had. It all started with breast cancer 25 or so years ago. Breast cancer runs in her family as her sister died from it.

At any rate, here is my dilemma. I'm thinking I should make her a quilt as she is having some awful treatment for this one.

My sixth sense is yelling that this cancer will kill her and in the not too distant future. I do not wish this, this is just what my sixth sense is telling me, and it tends to be correct.

So, I'm afraid that if I'm right, my S-I-L will want to give me the quilt back because she won't want it around as a reminder and I honestly wouldn't want it back.

I feel bad not making a quilt, but.....
                  Why the fuss? If you don't want it back, donate it to the cancer outfit or something. And do it in her name.

Comment

I was going to say what Shirley said.
                    🌺 Lorie

Comment

My 2 cents: Make it otherwise you will feel guilty and she would be touched you thought of her.
                      Vonnie

Comment

Please make the quilt....it will bless her (or a family member) and it will bless you.
                        sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

Definitely make it. it can later me donated if no one wants it.
                          sigpic:icon_hug: Iris Girl = April = fabric, Fabric FABRIC!!
                          Time spent with cats is never wasted.
                          Sigmund Freud

Comment

Thank you everyone.

Comment

I stumbled upon this for not a lot of money and it SO reminds me of her. So I have ordered it with expedited shipping. Hopefully it will be here soon so I can get a start on it.

http://ttfabrics.com/cms2015/wp-cont...59-garden.jpeg

Comment

Working...
                              X