Mom is 90. What should I send for Christmas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mom is 90. What should I send for Christmas

My mother is 90 and lives with a grand child she raised (in the basement) and when I speak with her on the phone she seems coherent and bright (My nephew says she has severe alsheimer but I suspect it is aging dementia)
    She says she is always cold. I sent her a quilt for her birthday in October (which she loves) and last year slipper s and a robe. I've tried books on tape but she can't figure out how to put them in the machine...I sent a headset to help her hear better on the telephone, but she can't figure out how that works either.
    I need suggestions on what to send. I was looking for a chair cushion that just has heat but all of them have massage and only heat in one or two regions. I did find some for cars but they are 12 volt and if I get one of those I will get the converter to use in the 110 v house plug but fear she won't know how that works either.
    I looked at those heated throws but the reviews are telling me the controllers melt on high and they stop working in a month or two.
    Any ideas.
    Walk in peace with the Lord by your side.
    Terry

Re: Mom is 90. What should I send for Christmas

Is there any way you can visit her for a few days? At that age, I think it is something she would appreciate more than any "thing", if it is possible.

Comment

Karen, I know it sounds crazy, but I can't fly for health reasons and it is way too far to drive by myself. She lives in UTAH, me in NC. We have accepted the fact that neither of us can travel this far anymore. So I chat with her on the phone twice a week and let her know I love her.
      Originally posted by KarenC View Post
      Is there any way you can visit her for a few days? At that age, I think it is something she would appreciate more than any "thing", if it is possible.
      Terry

Comment

I'll give it some more thought.

Comment

Yak is the microwaveable potato bags that use the special batting? MYbe you can make a pad for her to sit on, or one that will warm her bottom and back? It HAS TO BE ALL COTTON to be used with the microwave....just a thought.
          Barbara
          http://www.etsy.com/shop/CraftySweetPeas

Comment

How about these hand and feet warmers. I see news people use them all the time when they are broadcasting. I read some reviews and it says they get quite hot and someone mentioned a cover for them. They come in so many box sizes, so I'm giving the full link.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_s...d=72C0XZ57928K
            🌺 Lorie

Comment

Those are pretty interesting. I wish I had seen them a day ago. I ordered the zippo hand warmer for DH and these look a lot more interesting.
              Originally posted by Hulamoon View Post
              How about these hand and feet warmers. I see news people use them all the time when they are broadcasting. I read some reviews and it says they get quite hot and someone mentioned a cover for them. They come in so many box sizes, so I'm giving the full link.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_s...d=72C0XZ57928K
              Terry

Comment

What about Cuddle Duds? They are thin but warm and made to wear under clothing. My Mom (who is 87), likes the camisoles under shirts. JC Penneys sells yhem ,but they might have a website too.

Comment

My grandmother always loved it when I included with her gift treats she had as a child at Christmas, hard candies the kind with the center and candy canes. If she is always cold maybe something like a light weight soft cotton type jacket that could be worn inside the house.

Comment

I'd also recommend the Cuddle Duds. They are easy to put on and give another layer of warmth. My mom and her sisters loved them and they were in their 80's and 90's.

I wouldn't recommend anything that gives off heat. Senior skin is very thin and can get burned very easily ... and like any burn it is painful and takes time to heal.

Too bad you can't go for a visit. Could her granddaughter or your nephew recommend something she would like to have that isn't in their budget?

Comment

Originally posted by grammaterry View Post
                      Karen, I know it sounds crazy, but I can't fly for health reasons and it is way too far to drive by myself. She lives in UTAH, me in NC. We have accepted the fact that neither of us can travel this far anymore. So I chat with her on the phone twice a week and let her know I love her.
                      Take the train?

Comment

Make a video of you and your family wishing her a merry Christmas and perhaps a shawl or wrap?
                        Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Comment

I agree on the Cuddle Duds and a video. I also agree with staying away from anything that heats up due to the nature of elderly skin. My DH's aunt is 94 and in a nursing home. She likes soft fleecy jackets that she can slip on when chilly...and she likes treats to eat.
                          *~* Myrna *~*
                          *~* Quilters lead pieceful lives *~*

Comment

I think a nice shawl (maybe something made with the polar fleece) with a higher section to cover her neck and a video. (wait - will she be able to figure out how to use the video?) Maybe some pictures - easier to just pick up and look at. Good luck. I'm sure she will love anything you send her.

Comment

I think it would be nice if you could Skype or Face Time with your Grandma and you could see each others faces. Surely her caregiver could set that up, as it's quite simple. Someone is bound to have a laptop even if it has to be borrowed.
                              sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

Working...
                              X