Oh Grandchildren!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh Grandchildren!

My DSD and her little girl came out for a visit today. Our DGD is 3 1/2yrs old. Now, I always have crochet or something sitting out in the living room. Scissors, yarn, etc. She has NEVER bothered anything. Well today, I was dying yarn in the kitchen, her mom was outside smoking and grandpa was downstairs. The little miss was playing in the living with toys. No problems. She's really good.

Well, I happened to look in the living room and that sweet child had taken my scissors and cut my crocheted chain (that is all I had done) into about 1-inch pieces AND randomly cut into the ball of yarn.

I wasn't mad but more surprised that she did that. I did scold her for it and told her it wasn't nice of her to do that. If she wanted to see my yarn or something, she should ask first. She knows that if she asks me, I always let her look at it and touch it and learn about it. The same rule goes for my sewing room.

So a little later, as I was still dying yarn, she was sitting in the kitchen with me. I turned my back and she was gone. I looked in my sewing room and there she was, getting into things where my pins and small things are. She was sent out of my room.

I don't know what got into her today. She was a stinker for sure. Odd for her. Is it the fearsome fours coming??

Sara 07 mai 16b.jpg

Re: Oh Grandchildren!

Just make sure the rotary cutter, blades and sharp scissors are hidden in your sewing room.

When the little ones get quiet it's time to worry.
    "I'm putting together a list of 100 reasons why I am NOT relentless!" - Sue Heck, The Middle

Leonard: For God's sake, Sheldon, do I have to hold up a sarcasm sign every time I open my mouth?
    Sheldon (intrigued): You have a sarcasm sign?

Comment

I think the kids all get harder to handle this time of year. My grands are a handful this evening.

Comment

Thanks for the warning! My GD are 4 & 5. They are great about not going into my sewing room, but they know that I have my mother's dollhouse (not a toy one) in there, and the rooms light up, and there is a Christmas tree in one of the rooms! They could really get into mischief if they wanted to! Thankfully they are too short to reach my cutting table where my pins, rotary cutters etc are.

Comment

My grandchildren were here this weekend too. DH is in his element when they are here and never lets them out of his sight. The younger one is 4 and has showed no interest what so ever in my sewing room, but thanks for the warning you never know with kids. Scissors and rotary cutters scare me around little one. BTW your granddaughter is gorgeous!

Comment

Well, she might have been a stinker but she is adorably cute!

Comment

Thanks. She is a cutie for sure. My rotary cutters can be locked shut so I don't worry about those. Plus I have showed her that they are very sharp. She is more curious about scissors right now. Even when her mom, herself and I were sitting in the living room together, she tried to nab my scissors and cut the yarn I was working on! Her mom stopped her in her tracks and scolded her. She tried to give me the big blue eyes bit, but I told her it didn't work this time. Little goober.

Attached Files
              Last edited by mommadeb; December 5, 2016, 09:04 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by mommadeb View Post
                My DSD and her little girl came out for a visit today. Our DGD is 3 1/2yrs old. Now, I always have crochet or something sitting out in the living room. Scissors, yarn, etc. She has NEVER bothered anything. Well today, I was dying yarn in the kitchen, her mom was outside smoking and grandpa was downstairs. The little miss was playing in the living with toys. No problems. She's really good.

Well, I happened to look in the living room and that sweet child had taken my scissors and cut my crocheted chain (that is all I had done) into about 1-inch pieces AND randomly cut into the ball of yarn.

I wasn't mad but more surprised that she did that. I did scold her for it and told her it wasn't nice of her to do that. If she wanted to see my yarn or something, she should ask first. She knows that if she asks me, I always let her look at it and touch it and learn about it. The same rule goes for my sewing room.

So a little later, as I was still dying yarn, she was sitting in the kitchen with me. I turned my back and she was gone. I looked in my sewing room and there she was, getting into things where my pins and small things are. She was sent out of my room.

I don't know what got into her today. She was a stinker for sure. Odd for her. Is it the fearsome fours coming??

[ATTACH=CONFIG]137639[/ATTACH]
                Possibly a delay on the terrible twos. My dd did not hit them until she was almost 3. I thought I had escaped! lOL But her brother had them full force and he is a year older. I got through it with him and thought we had smooth sailing. Then one day she woke up and decided only THIS shirt could be worn today, this breakfast food was gross, and shoes that were tolerated before would not do. It did not last long, but what an adventure.

Comment

Originally posted by mommadeb View Post
                  Thanks. She is a cutie for sure. My rotary cutters can be locked shut so I don't worry about those. Plus I have showed her that they are very sharp. She is more curious about scissors right now. Even when her mom, herself and I were sitting in the living room together, she tried to nab my scissors and cut the yarn I was working on! Her mom stopped her in her tracks and scolded her. She tried to give me the big blue eyes bit, but I told her it didn't work this time. Little goober.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]137684[/ATTACH]
                  Give her kids scissors and some paper with large circles and squares to cut out. Then let her glue those on colored paper to 'create' something. To glue use a tiny bowl of glue and a q-tip. At this age she is learning how to manipulate things with her hands and wanting to create. It can be done without mess and chaos. (I used to teach preschool)

Comment

Working...
                  X