Gave myself a talking to!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gave myself a talking to!!!

So I have been busy sewing for various charities over the last 3-4 months and suddenly realised I haven't knitted any hats and scarves for the refuge who feed the homeless!! These poor souls have nothing but the clothes they stand up in and it's getting cold out there.
    Of course my DD told me not to worry because I have been using my time on other projects for charity but I can't help feeling bad because I have been rather self-indulgent in only doing things which give me real pleasure.
    I've given myself a real talking to but still can't get over it!!!
    I suppose I could get the needles out but don't have much time now!! And I could kick myself because the online wool shop I use had money off over last weekend!!
    Sorry to be such a pain - I'm not usually like thisv- must be the weather or something. Thanks for listening (!)

Re: Gave myself a talking to!!!

I think you have a very kind heart and there are only so many hours in a day and endless charitable things we could be doing, so please don't kick yourself. Other people have to do their part as well. And God bless you.

Comment

I agree with Kim. It's ok to change charity groups once in a while. You don't want to overburden yourself, and then not be able to help any of them because of burnout.

Comment

One person can only do so much. One way or another you are doing good work. Don't beat yourself up over it.
        Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Comment

Well, my goodness...what a delima! Sewing for charity is a fabulous gift you are giving. I realize it is addicting and sometimes doesn't feel so selfless because we enjoy the process so much. You provide warmth to many . There are lots of us who have more than our fellow man and we should all be giving. One person is not responsible for all of them. Do what you can....Enjoy what you do...the love will show thru and all will be well. If it is still bothering you...do you have a thrift shop near? Perhaps you could just go buy a few boggins and donate them for the sake of warmth. Won't be the same as hand knit but perhaps it will ease your mind that they are warm.
          Walk in peace with the Lord by your side.
          Terry

Comment

Yes we could all do more but you are already giving with your wonderful quilts. Don't be so hard on yourself. You are only one person! Don't feel so guilty. I don't even know how to knit or crochet.

Comment

A quote for you:

“The small charity that comes from the heart is better than the great charity that comes from the head.” – Ivan Panin

To me that means we should give out of love, and love what we do for others. When our efforts become chores, that we can find little joy in, then we stop giving out of love and are giving out of obligation. I can think of no greater reward, than the JOY of giving LOVE to those in need. Love what you are doing, and do what you love, that is the greatest gift you can give.

Comment

Thank you for your kind words of encouragement, have decided to buy some wool in the sales after Christmas and make a start for next year with hats and scarves but in the meantime will give the refuge some food gifts for the meals they make so at least I am doing something!!!
                Everything they do is dependent on donations of money or food etc and on Christmas day last year they feed 100 people and they are not the only organisation which do this. It is so sad when you think how many people have lost their way due to alcohol or drug use and it is easy to be judgemental of this but I always think of a very famous saying, "there but for the grace of God go I" which to me means that God is the only one I can rely on for my own good and no amount of substances will help long term.

Here I am getting deep and meaningful again, sorry.

Comment

Hey, you don't have to apologize for it, daily life is full of deep and meaningful things

Comment

Working...
                  X