Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Eastern Tennessee forum members, please check in!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Eastern Tennessee forum members, please check in!

The fires around Gatlinburg are human caused. That could mean accidental or arson. There has been a burning ban in place for several weeks, so I can't imagine anyone lighting a fire. There is a Federal team investigating. The fire started in the Chimneys area of the National Park and was spread by hurricane force winds that night. They have called it a fire storm, so I can imagine it was awful. 17,000 acres burned.

Comment

I think they may have arrested someone. My niece and her family live way up the mountain. As nephew was driving down the mountain little fires were popping up along both sides of the road. When they got to the bottom of the mountain and looked back the trees were engulfed in fire. Many of the houses on their mountain are gone, including theirs. The log cabin next to them and the car that was parked in the drive are intact. There 2 neighbors unaccounted for yet. Sad Sad situation. Prayers for all affected. Kathy
      All quilts cat tested and approved.
      sigpic

Comment

My niece, who lives in Kodak, called today to update the situation from her perspective. She has volunteered for 3 days at the animal barn at the fairgrounds. Such heartbreaking stories from people who have lost everything except the clothes on their back & maybe a treasured pet. Maybe you saw on the news yest. that Dolly Parton has pledged $1,000./mo. to families who have lost everything. There will be fund raisers from country singers & other famous people. The community & corporations are coming together to bring donations of clothes, food, water, pet supplies, etc. People in the community are offering their unused RVs, etc. to the displaced homeless. There still are folks in the shelter. The Red Cross is helping to find housing for people. The fire came dangerously close to Dollywood, but it was spared. Some family members still are missing. Their remains may not be found. The communities are feeling the love & prayers sent their way. We need to keep them in our prayers.

Comment

Originally posted by mischiefkat View Post
          My niece has lost everything in the Tn fire,house,business info, business inventory,and 2 vehicles. Says the house looks like a bomb hit it,still smoldering. Such a sad day for her and others who are affected. Kathy
          Will be praying for your niece and other families in those areas.........so very sad for them.
          "I'm putting together a list of 100 reasons why I am NOT relentless!" - Sue Heck, The Middle

Leonard: For God's sake, Sheldon, do I have to hold up a sarcasm sign every time I open my mouth?
          Sheldon (intrigued): You have a sarcasm sign?

Comment

Originally posted by mischiefkat View Post
            My niece has lost everything in the Tn fire,house,business info, business inventory,and 2 vehicles. Says the house looks like a bomb hit it,still smoldering. Such a sad day for her and others who are affected. Kathy

So so sorry to hear this. Will be praying for her and her family as well as the others affected by this tragedy. On a better note, I got an email from my friend that lives in Sevierville and she is fine - her area has not been affected, at least not yet. I think the rain is helping, but know that more is needed, and pray that it will come soon.
            Donna

Comment

Prayers that the fires will soon be extinguished for good.
              Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Comment

There may be more storms Sunday or Monday. The fire in the National Park is not out, so it could happen again. We are desperate for rain. Maryville, where I live, got nearly 5 inches, but the Gatlinburg area got slightly more than an inch. We are so dry. They let home and business owners into part of the burned area today, to check their houses. Tomorrow the whole area will be open to residents. Some of the stories are heartbreaking. 13 confirmed dead, 80 injured. There are still many missing, and may never be found. There was a tornado south of us the same night. It has taken a back seat to the fire, but there have been so many supplies contributed to the fire victims that they are being shared.

Two things are bright spots. The downtown business area is almost untouched, so the people can get back to work in a few days before the Christmas season. We were lucky that this did not happen during Thanksgiving week or Christmas week. There would have been many more people around at those times, and more fatalities and injuries. East Tennessee is filled with strong people of faith, and we will get through this.

Comment

Working...
                X