Woke up to LOUD gunshots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Woke up to LOUD gunshots

I did not know at the time what the 2 loud noises were. It sounded like a tree fell on the neighbors house or truck with a bit of leaves rustling. Like someone was throwing a huge payload of chains into the bed of a pickup and crunching on the leaves as they walked away. I got up after the second noise to look out the window in the direction of the neighbor with a truck and large trees. While using the restroom there was another loud noise. They were outside however the noise we heard was not them, it was the neighbor next door on the other side that had fired shots inside his home. The police have been there since this happened at 50 am. I listened to what the ex-military guys story as we have very thin walls. He said someone tried to break in and he told his girlfriend to get back into bed. The glass on the front bedroom window was broken and on the ground outside. If someone tries to break into a house, the glass would be on the inside, unless a gun shot blasted it out. His story was not jiving, and I am no police officer. You see he has ptsd. He has had thoughts of suicide and I wonder if this was an attempt. The other housemates in that house all look like they were in their pajamas and had been asleep. When this guy was calling 911, he told them there was blood.
    I know the last couple of weeks due to mild climate, his window was open (no screens), I hope on of my kittens didn't try to enter their house and that is what got shot and is "bloody". I also hope whatever gun he used it was not high enough caliber to do any damage to my car or house which is less than 15 feet from his residence. I feel bad for this guy because he was just put on a gurney and hauled away by ambulance. He is in his 40s.

We live in a slum area of town and the people do not have extravagances in this area. I find it hard to believe that a theif would come and try to enter a home with 2 cars in the driveway at the front of the house to paupers who have nothing. I also listened carefully and heard no foot steps after the third shot. The foot steps I heard following the first two were not running footsteps and those foot steps were between my house and the other neighbors which is blocked by a 7 ft fence. Dogs in our neighborhood did not bark with any of this incident. After the 3rd shot, the ones way down on the end of the block did.

The police are still here investigating taking pictures and questioning neighbors. I will update if I learn anything.

No one should wake up to gunshots....no one.
    Blogging ahead.....research in quilting and sewing with a dab of cooking/recipes too.

https://myquiltprojects.wordpress.com/

https://thecookbookproject.wordpress.com/

Re: Woke up to LOUD gunshots

I hope all is well with you.
    Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Comment

Since I live in the country surrounded by woods, I wake up to gunshots fairly often, for whatever hunting season is going. YOU, however, should not have to.

Comment

Although I hear gunshots in the woods behind my house quite often I would not like to hear the neighbors shooting a gun so close to my house. If my bedroom was on that side of the house I wouldn't feel comfortable sleeping near their house for a while! Since he is ex-military they will probably keep him at the VA for a while. I would also think the police would cite him for firing a firearm close to a dwelling . My heart goes out to him. Since my son's unit came back from Afghanistan a year ago they have lost 2 young men to suicide.
        :icon_happy:

sigpic

Comment

Oh so scary to have that happen right next door. I live in a pretty nice neighborhood in the city and there have been two break ins recently a few blocks away. No one has been arrested and they think the same person is responsible but the homeowners were home when it happened and the burglar kicked the door in. It is so scary that bad guys will break in when you are home and in broad daylight! We now keep our doors locked (deadbolts) even when we are home. We do not own guns. My weapon of choice would be the fireplace poker, it could do some damage. But I joked to my husband that I would probably be so rattled I would grab the fp broom by mistake which is right next to the poker!

Comment

That would be scary!

I woke up to a gunshot once. I knew MM was planning on heading to Ikea that morning, so I woke with a start. I laid in bed wondering if I would hear anything else. MM came walking in the bedroom to tell me he was leaving! I asked if he had heard what I thought was a gunshot and he said 'yes, I fired my gun out on the deck!' Well, now I was wide awake! Seems two guys in cars were chasing each other and decided to stop next to our house. One was attacking the other with a jack handle, so MM yelled at him to knock it off, which he didn't. It was then that he fired a round into the ground to get their attention. He did and they left. I quickly dressed and went with him in case they decided to come back while he was gone.
            pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

Oh my. I live way out in the country. I don't even have a key to my house. People here all have guns...me included...but they hunt and they target practice. People don't break in to houses here because everyone knows everyone and if somebody strange showed up, someone would notice. I don't envy you big city gals at all, not even when I think of how convenient being in town might be.
              Walk in peace with the Lord by your side.
              Terry

Comment

I live the country where gunshots are common (shooting practice and hunting). So I am quite used to it and it doesn't bother me. But when I lived in the suburbs, it most definitely would have been very disturbing to hear them. I'm sorry for all concerned and hope your neighbor gets the help he seems to need.
                Courage is being scared to death, and saddling up anyway. ~John Wayne

Quilting is my passion . . . chocolate is a close second!

Comment

Working...
                X