A New Thread About Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A New Thread About Thread

I was doing a little shopping at the local antique shop here in town and found this old wooden spool of thread. All the thread is on it and it's a wooden spool. Pretty cool actually. I'm not going to use the thread though. She had three of these but I only got one. I think when she is open next, I may buy the other two. I only paid about 25 cents for it.

IMG_20161119_181331 (540x640).jpgIMG_20161119_181341 (619x640).jpgIMG_20161119_194100 (545x640).jpg

I am having a problem finding information about it though. I will keep searching.

Re: A New Thread About Thread

All I can tell you about this thread was I got a couple of spools in the attachments when I bought my treadle a couple of years back. The previous owner was from Germany. The thread was from Slovakia/ I searched google for industry and Bratislava -- the capital of Slovakia.. There was a lot of industry noted, but nothing specific.

Hope you find out more about this.
    Judy

Click HERE to find me and My imagination
    :icon_wave:

Comment

That thread was probably made between 1900 and 1939 by Coats. Here's a link to the info I found about thread made in that town: http://www.coats.com/index.asp?pageid=20&time=year1900s

Comment

What an interesting find....I would buy the other spools as collector items.
        sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

You could make a little sewing tree for your sewing area!
          🌺 Lorie

Comment

A wooden spool lover here - and I never actually looked past the fact that the spools were made from wood. Now you have piqued my interest and I'm going to start checking labels.
            Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
            it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Comment

This is cool! I'm going to try and contact them and see what they can tell me. I'll post what I find out.

Thanks to all of you!

Originally posted by Judy, USMC View Post
              That thread was probably made between 1900 and 1939 by Coats. Here's a link to the info I found about thread made in that town: http://www.coats.com/index.asp?pageid=20&time=year1900s

Comment

Judy USMC, you are so resourceful! Maybe you were a detective in a previous life!!

Comment

Originally posted by Hulamoon View Post
                  You could make a little sewing tree for your sewing area!
                  What is a sewing machine tree?

Comment

Originally posted by jjkaiser View Post
                    Judy USMC, you are so resourceful! Maybe you were a detective in a previous life!!
                    Just a matter of which search term(s) you use!

And here's the link to what trees you can make with thread spools: http://search.aol.com/aol/image?q=tr...=customie11-ie

Edited to add: During the early 1900's the city was quite industrialized so I imagine if the particular spool you have wasn't made by Coats it was probably made by one of its competitors. I believe that all the independent manufacturers were nationalized so the presence of a name would keep it in the same time frame.

Another Additional Hint: The Tariff act (US) of 1930 required every imported item to be conspicuously and indelibly marked in English to indicate to the “ultimate purchaser” its country of origin. So that may be an additional hint that it was made in the 30's.

This was fun research. Steve & I are into antiques so this caught my attention.
                    Last edited by Judy, USMC; November 20, 2016, 05:50 PM. Reason: This

Comment

Working...
                    X