Crazy Night Owl

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Crazy Night Owl

Hoot hoot! I've been looking at crazy quilts online...I found two site that I liked.
    http://alliesinstitches.blogspot.com/p/blog-page.html

http://gladcreationsquilts.blogspot....p-crazy-6.html (The third one down, with Kaffe Fassett fabric.)

I have a lot of Kaffe Scraps and fat quarters, so I'm thinking the second one looks doable. The blocks are easier, too. It has no trim on it...just some decorative stitching, and I have most of a giant cylinder of variegated decorative Superior thread left. The problem is that I have got the materials for other quilts that I haven't finished (or even started) yet and I feel like I keep getting distracted with other ideas. I just don't want to turn into my mom and start but not finish things... :P

Boy is it windy here in Iowa! The temperature has dropped twenty degrees since morning! And the long-range forecast is for cold (normal) November weather. Well that should motivate me to do quilt work again!

How are you?

Re: Crazy Night Owl

After looking at your links I'm more aware of how easy it would be to make a crazy quilt! For some reason I got it in my mind that there would be curved seams. Hope that trim will find a use! You would be able to add it to either quilt wouldn't you?

We're looking at a 25 degree drop in daytime temps too - from 75 to 50. And the night temps may go below freezing. That doesn't usually happen until January!

Got a M* shipment today from the free shipping DD. The box had a corner completely crushed and dented. Good thing there was only fabric inside so no harm to my goodies. Hope y'all stay warm!

Comment

We made it to the beach. Hopefully we will have some sun breaks tomorrow so we can get out to the water for a little bit.
      We had pizza for supper and it was pretty tasty. I didn't get the cookie dough made before I left, so we stopped by the grocery store and picked up a tube of TollHouse chocolate chip. It about killed me to pay that much for about a dozen cookies. Ugh.

Now I am helping my daughter do her math. Bigger ugh!
      I think I'm about done for the night though. We are in a full size, maybe a queen sized bed. We are used to a king. Somebody is going to get punched or kicked in their sleep. That will be fun.

I hope things are well in your neck of the woods!
      Be who you are and say what you feel
      because those who mind don't matter,
      and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss

http://www.toggpine.wordpress.com

Comment

Originally posted by Judy, USMC View Post
        After looking at your links I'm more aware of how easy it would be to make a crazy quilt! For some reason I got it in my mind that there would be curved seams. Hope that trim will find a use! You would be able to add it to either quilt wouldn't you?
        I'm not sure the trims I'm ordering would look "right" on that Kaffe design. They won't be here until mid-December at the earliest, so I can try them then.

I took the Craftsy crazy quilt class by Allie Aller (the first link is her gallery) when they were free all October a year back...and I downloaded the class materials. She demonstrated four different methods of crazy quilting and the first was all straight lines. To me it looked like a log cabin block, just made wonkily. The other three methods she showed did have some curved seams. Please don't be intimidated by curves. The first quilted piece I did on a machine had curves. I hadn't used a machine since high school and I had no problem with making curves, not because I am talented (I'm not) but because I had to stop every few stitches and lift the presser foot and readjust the direction of the fabric ANYWAY, because I didn't know how to work a machine anymore! I wouldn't be able to sew a curved seam if I was trying to do it in one fell swoop without stopping, lifting the pressure foot and adjusting, and starting again...but if you try that method with some scrap fabric I think you might be surprised! This is the link that I learned it on. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUQ38B0AJMA

Also, if you are going to be stitching some big honkin' trims over the seams anyway after they are done, nobody will be able to see the seams...so if the curve is not perfectly smooth, it won't show. Some of these crazy quilts are so covered in doilies, beads, ornaments and trims that the fabric beneath hardly shows.

Comment

I was online early today, created the baby pool for Charyti's baby, and then I felt a migraine coming fast. So I armed myself with a cup of caffeine and a migraine pill and then went to bed to sleep it off. So now I'm wide awake with a small headache. And the cold front must have blown through because it's really cold here! But the cold makes my head feel better. I'll have to take some more meds in a bit and get back in bed.

I love love love crazy quilts! My great grandmother made them and I am fortunate enough to have one. It's made with all sorts of heavy fabrics - polyester but mostly wools and flannels. One day I told a friend who also quilts about my love for crazy quilts and how I want to make one soon. She pulled out of her closet a template set for making one. I didn't think I needed a template to make a crazy block, but not wanting to hurt her feelings, we decided to use them. So I have this quilt top made. I did use my machine to stitch some decorative stitches on it, but it needs so much more along the seams and inside the patches. And even thought the machine stitched nicely, it's just not quite the same so I'm going to hand stitch the remainder.

I think Kaffe fabrics would be awesome in a crazy quilt!

You know..... I wonder if anyone else would be interested in a crazy quilt swap group? We could buy lace, buttons, thread and swap them to get some different things.

Comment

Thanks for that link, Kim. Made it through the first 7 minutes ... will finish up later ... but it looks easy enough! Hmmmm now you've got me thinking about fabric selection. I'm motivated but, unfortunately, I do have 6 kits I've packaged up already so it will take me a while to start.

Comment

Working...
            X