Fear of Dentist

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fear of Dentist

I have to admit that I have a terrible fear of a dentist/oral surgeon office. As soon as I walk in I become sick. But sometimes it is necessary to overcome your fear especially if you're in a lot of pain. I had been dealing with a toothache and sore swollen gum off and on for 3 months, yep, you heard right. I gave in and went to an Oral Surgeon, he took the xray and nothing showed a problem but once he did his inspection he said the jaw tooth was causing the pain and yes gum was swollen and inflamed, plus he noticed another tooth that was not giving me any problems and after discussing it with me decided to pull it also. He said there was a big hole and cavity. So here comes the novacaine, in one way a relief because I'm not feeling anymore pain. Well after all that I am a nervous wreck and need calming down. He assured me that took care of the pain. WRONG! Well here it is the 5th day and the pain is still there. A Tylenol helps but once it starts to wear off I'm in terrible pain, a toothache where the tooth use to be, ha. So I'm wondering, did he not get all of the tooth or is it a nerve problem? Oh boy, now my stomach is sick from all the Tylenol and amoxicillin. I'm not use to all these drugs although I do take cholesterol medicine but I don't have any side effects from that.

I have appointment with this oral surgeon tomorrow and hope he can find the problem. Wish me luck!

I guess I feel better now, just looking for some sympathy. I am grateful that my problem is minor and will get better compared to some of the blogs I have read it is very minor and I apologize. Thank you for listening.
    sigpicLinda :icon_wave:

Re: Fear of Dentist

Oh Linda, I feel your pain! I'm so sorry you are going through this. I put off going to the dentist too. I had a traumatic experience at the dentist as a child, I'm in my 50's and it still affects me. Hope you get it resolved soon.
    Lori

http://sewtimeforme.blogspot.com/

Comment

Linda, I'm so sorry your hurting. I too have a healthy dislike of the dentist. I associate it with pain. I have had so much dental work done. I have great looking teeth but my teeth are soft and seems like it's one thing after another, so I am sympathetic.
      However it is such a relief to get it over with, the problem is just getting into the office. I relate to walking in the door, it takes everything in me not to run far, far away! I'm so glad that your going back to get things checked. Each day you should be getting some relief, so your doctor needs to know that your hurting. I hope that things go well, Your getting there. Try to distract yourself if you can. Hang in there!

Comment

I am wondering if you happen to have a dry socket - which are very painful. I can understand the fear of dentist - I have had some horrid painful ones. We have finally found one that is very calm, patient and helps work through the fear.

Comment

Hi Linda. If I understand it correctly you had two teeth pulled? If this is correct it is expected for there to be some pain for up to two weeks. However, if should be a different kind of pain than you were feeling before. If at all possible have a friend go to the oral surgeon with you. Then when you get nervous the friend can help make sure all your questions are answered.

It is also very important to follow the "after care" instructions. For example the instructions may say no carbonated beverages or hot hot drinks for a certain period of time.

I hope you feel better soon. Aching teeth are very trying.
          Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

Comment

I hate the dentist too even though mine looks like a Barbie doll with absolutely perfect gleaming white teeth and could do a Pepsodent commercial any time. I also hate the hygienist and all her sharp, pointy instruments! They are instruments of torture if you ask me. Yes I am afraid another visit to the dentist is your only hope, possibly something minor went wrong that could easily be fixed. I don't think your pain should be lasting this long. Maybe a shot of whiskey before bed tonight would help temporarily?

Comment

Originally posted by Simply Quilting View Post
              I am wondering if you happen to have a dry socket - which are very painful. I can understand the fear of dentist - I have had some horrid painful ones. We have finally found one that is very calm, patient and helps work through the fear.
              I agree, sounds like a dry socket to me
              Dolores :lol::icon_heh:

Comment

Originally posted by Simply Quilting View Post
                I will rule out the dry socket. This pain is just like before I had the jaw tooth pulled. Just like an aching toothache. But the tooth is no longer there so I'm wondering if maybe he didn't get all the tooth, is that possible. Hopefully tomorrow I will find out. He is an excellent oral surgeon but is always in a rush. I may need another xray and I hate all the exposure to radiation. Oh well, do what is necessary. Thank you for responding. I will let you know what happens tomorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by DeniseSm View Post
                  Hi Linda. If I understand it correctly you had two teeth pulled? If this is correct it is expected for there to be some pain for up to two weeks. However, if should be a different kind of pain than you were feeling before. If at all possible have a friend go to the oral surgeon with you. Then when you get nervous the friend can help make sure all your questions are answered.

It is also very important to follow the "after care" instructions. For example the instructions may say no carbonated beverages or hot hot drinks for a certain period of time.

I hope you feel better soon. Aching teeth are very trying.
                  Hi DeniseSm, no this is the same pain I was having before the tooth was extracted. I had this done on Thursday, here it is Tuesday. I'm okay until the Tylenol wears off then it just aches awful like a toothache. I can't live on Tylenol.

I can't begin to tell you how many times I went over the instructions and I followed them exactly. I'm very true in following instructions of any kind. Thank you for responding. I'll let you all know about tomorrow.

Comment

you might have an ear infection. It could be manifesting itself into your jaw area and it could be a coincidence that the tooth needed pulling as well. The pain is the same.
                    Walk in peace with the Lord by your side.
                    Terry

Comment

My dentist is a total sweetheart, but I was not lying when I told him when we first met that I would rather go through unmedicated childbirth than get my teeth cleaned. I go faithfully twice a year, but only because I'm terrified that if I don't it will be worse.

Comment

My question is, did he give you anything for infection? Gums around teeth do not just swell and get puffy because the tooth is bad. If he didn't give you an antibiotic, it is probably still hurting for that reason. A dry socket is absolutely excrutiating. It is like a toothache x 10. Good luck with your follow up.
                        Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......
                        sigpic

Comment

You have my sympathy and wishes for some quick relief. My dentist has to call me in a prescription for a few Valium to get me his office every six months. Once I take the Valium I don't care what they do when I get there! My back tooth cracked into several pieces in June and I had to have a crown. DH drugged me up, took me in, handed me my IPOD and I went to sleep in the chair. I had so many bad experiences at the Health Department as a child that at 60+ years old I still panic.
                          :icon_happy:

sigpic

Comment

So sorry for all your dental problems. I've had my share of those this year, too. Had a crown, then needed a root canal under the new crown. I also chose to have a different tooth pulled rather than pay $2,000. out of pocket for another root canal. Wish I'd had the root canal. I'm still not used to the space in my mouth where the tooth used to be. I did get a dry socket! The written after- care instructions had an error in them. The dentist really didn't want me to irrigate till day 4, rather than day one, so I probably flushed out the clot. Yes, it can be very painful! I took Tylenol around the clock.

Just wondering -- why did you not go to your regular dentist first before seeing an oral surgeon? Or did you have a referral? With the new digital x-rays, they clearly show if there is infection at the tooth root. Many regular dentists do extractions & refer to an oral surgeon only if it's necessary.

You can google tooth extractions, dry socket, etc. to get info. that will be helpful with your after care. So sorry you're having such a tough time of it. I hope you get some answers soon & pain relief. The healing takes a time, so don't expect immediate results.

Comment

Originally posted by jjkaiser View Post
                              I hate the dentist too even though mine looks like a Barbie doll with absolutely perfect gleaming white teeth and could do a Pepsodent commercial any time. I also hate the hygienist and all her sharp, pointy instruments! They are instruments of torture if you ask me. Yes I am afraid another visit to the dentist is your only hope, possibly something minor went wrong that could easily be fixed. I don't think your pain should be lasting this long. Maybe a shot of whiskey before bed tonight would help temporarily?
                              Oh that tells me you have taken good care of your teeth. I agree what you say about the hygienist, she really scares me with all her tools.
                              I may need a shot of something before and after, ha.

Comment

Working...
                              X