MM's weekly report....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MM's weekly report....

This past week has been hard on him. We saw his oncologist last Monday. Seems that the doctor has thought that once chemo is over that MM was scheduling surgery. He has never ever said that. He said once chemo is over he would decide then, once we know what it looks like. Well, it seems that when you do not want to do the surgery you should be getting radiation treatments as well.

Off we went Thursday for an appointment with a radiology oncologist. She was very nice and has a great way of explaining things. She asked him several questions and one was whether or not he smoked. He does not, but grew up in a house with parents who did. They were such heavy smokers that the nice shade of golden paint on their walls was from nicotine, not a can! I was not raised by smokers and I was speechless. Anyway, it was from her we learned that bladder cancer is a cancer that smokers normally get, and she feels his is probably from nineteen years of secondhand smoke. Please, if you smoke and don't want to quit for yourself, quit for those who live with you...it really does affect them!!

Apparently the cat scan showed enlarged lymph nodes, which the first oncologist told us. He also told us that he felt it was due to MM's psoriasis, which can cause the inflammation of them. Well, the lady doctor will not proceed with radiation until a biopsy is done, so we are hoping to have an appointment for that this coming week. Radiation will entail thirty treatments, five a week, Monday thru Friday, for six weeks. Sounds like you are pretty miserable from them. You don't want to know the details.

So, like I started out by saying, this has been a bad week. Both our symptoms showed up quickly and have lasted all week, just in time to go back for more tomorrow! He has spent the majority of time sleeping. I managed to sneak out to Joanns yesterday since I had two 60% coupons, but other than that I've been making some wallets on days I feel well enough. We have been eating lots of homemade soups, and the one I made the other night was really good! I put four containers of it in the freezer so he will have it on days he needs it.

Please think of this some more this week. I just feel so bad for the guy, and there is nothing I can do to help him. I even offered to do a Fakesgiving on the Saturday after Thanksgiving so he would not have to get up early for the family (somehow I got roped into cooking), but he refused and said it will be on Thursday.

Now, I am off to sew!
    pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Re: MM's weekly report....

My heart aches for you both. I think of you often and add prayers as well. It is scary to hear about the second hand smoke. I also grew up in that type of household and was a smoker for about 15 years of my younger life. I quit a year after my youngest was born. Since moving to Florida 20 plus years ago, we are never around smoke at all. My brother had bladder cancer and had it removed and a bladder made from his intestines. The cancer is long gone for years now, but sadly he started smoking again. Sometimes they just dont get it.

Get lots of rest and take care of yourselves. I just cannot imagine dealing with this illness. Homemade soups are awesome, good that you make them. I am hoping you can enjoy thanksgiving with the family.

Hugs
    Karen
    Life is short - Live everyday to the fullest

Comment

Thank you for the update. Continued prayers for both of you and wisdom for the best treatment.

Comment

Oh you both have been through so much already and looks like more to come. You are such a strong support for your husband you should be proud of yourself. I am sure you are making these treatments bearable for him with your sunny disposition! You give me hope! Xoxo
        Jocelyn

Comment

Originally posted by jjkaiser View Post
          Oh you both have been through so much already and looks like more to come. You are such a strong support for your husband you should be proud of yourself. I am sure you are making these treatments bearable for him with your sunny disposition! You give me hope! Xoxo
          Jocelyn
          I am trying to be sunny about it, but it really is getting hard to break thru the dark, stormy cloud.
          pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

Comment

Hey, we are having Thanksgiving this coming Wednesday. I wasn't going to do it at all, but went to the commissary today and they had fresh turkeys on sale, so I decided spur of the moment to go ahead and do it. I am house sitting the week of Thanksgiving so my friends can go to Ohio to be with their elderly mom since she lives alone after their dad passed. So Thanksgiving any day will work.

I hope things go well with the radiation. I'm surprised they don't wait to start it until chemo is done. That is a lot for one body to handle.
            K is for Karen 😊​..................
            Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
            T - is it TRUE?
            H - is it HELPFUL?
            I - is it INSPIRING?
            N - is it NECESSARY?
            K - is it KIND?

Comment

I have NO idea what your are going through and there isn't much I can offer to do for YOU! I will keep you both in prayers and send hugs across the miles.
              Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Comment

I think of you both every day and pray for you each night. Hang in there.

Comment

It is certainly a difficult situation. Prayers for both of you. We are doing our Thanksgiving Friday after because DD has to work day of We have postponed before when Gabe had surgery. It isn't the day, it is the meaning.
                  Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......
                  sigpic

Comment

Bubba, my husband's gone through chemo and had bladder removal along with 30 lymph nodes. It came on expectantly,and was quite a shock. He came through it quite well. He's now 2 years in remission. He only smoked about 14 years, and that was 43 years ago, but it's cause is listed as smoking. To anyone facing the diagnosis, he is suffering from the little c (cancer). He has the big C (Christ) on his side. It has been a comfort to many.

Comment

Pat, I felt so bad for both of you when I read this. I just cannot imagine how hard all this must be for you both. It certainly puts things in perspective when you read something like this. I am going to try to think very hard before I complain about anything.

I have had both of you in my prayers everyday and will continue to pray for strength and healing for you both. Try to take care of yourself during this whole process and I hope you feel like sewing to give you a nice distraction.

Please tell MM there are lots of people praying for him and wish him the best and you too!!

Comment

Originally posted by lilamath View Post
                        Bubba, my husband's gone through chemo and had bladder removal along with 30 lymph nodes. It came on expectantly,and was quite a shock. He came through it quite well. He's now 2 years in remission. He only smoked about 14 years, and that was 43 years ago, but it's cause is listed as smoking. To anyone facing the diagnosis, he is suffering from the little c (cancer). He has the big C (Christ) on his side. It has been a comfort to many.
                        So he did not have radiation, and he did have the cystectomy? That surgery is the one he is trying to avoid.
                        pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

Comment

What are the current statistics on survival rates between surgery and radiation? Those numbers are what helped my husband decide between surgery and radiation for his prostate cancer. Now would be the time to ask that question if it hasn't been answered in discussions already. Thinking of the two of you daily.
                          Bev

Comment

With radiation, it increases recovery to 80%....quite a bit more than without it.
                            pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

Comment

Pat thanks for the update.I'm glad you have been well enough to sew a little.I have you both in my prayers ,so hang in there the cloud will lift soon.
                              :icon_wave:Joan

Comment

Working...
                              X