Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what was your most memorable Christmas present?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what was your most memorable Christmas present?

It looks like we need a new "fun" post so how about this one? What is your most memorable Christmas present and why?
    Mine was the stove and couch my two older brothers and father made for my sister and I when I was about 5. They were made out of apple crates and scraps but they were wonderful. The stove was baby blue and had a hinged door on the oven and coffee can top burners. They even scrounged some knobs. The couch was child sized and covered in brown leatherette with red trim. We played with those for the longest time and then used them for storage, etc. I think they got left behind in the move when I was 13.
    Share your memories!
    sigpic

Re: what was your most memorable Christmas present?

The year was 1976, I was cranking out the Christmas presents on my old Kenmore and it refused to sew a decent stitch. We went looking for new machines. Looked at Bernina and even in those days, they were way expensive.. The store was in a very chic part of town, and the vendor was spending her time while not selling wrapping up big boxes with Berninas in them in Christmas paper for the generous husbands to put under the tree. I never imagined that my husband would go for that, but he did and one of those boxes showed up under our tree several days later. I was just so excited, and I did a LOT of sewing on that machine. My dear husband was always a supporter of my hobby, and he jumped in on the embroidery bandwagon to buy me a very expensive for the times embroidery machine. I guess I never felt guilty after he passed to upgrade, because I knew he would support me if he were here to get a machine that would meet my needs. I'm getting a little weepy writing this realizing how much I appreciated his love and support in my sewing hobby. Of course, he had some nice woodworking equipment in his workshop, and I supported his hobby also. But I'll never forget that Christmas gift!

P.S. In my years of owning that Kenmore, I do not recall EVER cleaning out lint or having it serviced. That could have been its ultimate demise, you think?
    Last edited by Jean Sewing Machine; November 12, 2016, 08:43 AM.

Comment

The first thing that came to mind was the homemade dollhouse my dad made for me when I was maybe 4 or 5 y.o. It was made from 2 wooden orange crates, so it had 4 rooms. They used carpet samples for the floor. I've forgotten how much furniture it had in it--not a lot. This was not long after WWII ended, so times were tough. When I was maybe 7 or 8, another memorable gift was a baby doll with a crying face. It has a soft head & very realistic face & features. It seems like it could be fed a bottle & would "wet". I still have a doll that was my mother's; it has a China head. She's stored in a box, along with the antique clothing.

One of the most memorable Christmases for DH & me was the first year we were married. It was the only time in all our 41 yrs. of marriage, that we had all 4 kids with us. His 2 boys lived with their mom; I have 2 sons from a prev. marriage. At that time they were all grade school age. We had a wonderful time at my parents' home. It's always bittersweet when kids live with a custodial parent & you can't always get together. Now the 4 families are scattered to all corners of the USA, & we seldom get to see anyone.
      The past several yrs., it's been just DH & me; our holidays are very quiet.

Comment

Jean, that is a lovely memory from your husband....I have so many Christmas memories...One year, my son (he was 5) asked if you could give someone something used for Christmas and I told him if it was something that the person really wanted it was great. I received the giraffe from his Fisher Price Circus train. As you know, I own LONGNECKS restaurant and our logo is a giraffe. 50 yrs ago, I received two giraffes from my oldest (8 yr old ) and I placed 4 more in the living room to tie the room together. If you have 6 giraffes in a room, you will never get another gift that isn't a giraffe. So, after 40 yrs of giraffes, we opened the themed restaurant so we would have a place to display 1000 giraffes! So, yes, that was pretty memorable.
        Walk in peace with the Lord by your side.
        Terry

Comment

One Christmas when I was little, maybe six or seven, I woke up and went out to the living room. The Christmas tree had all these little handmade Barbie clothes hanging on it. I was in heaven.

Years later, I was talking about that being my favorite Christmas and my mother said, "Really? That was my least favorite because we were so poor, all I could give you were some homemade Barbie clothes made from scraps."

Perspective really does affect reality.

Jeannette

Comment

Best Christmas gift was our third son who was born on 12/17/67 and he and I came home from the hospital on Christmas Eve.

I do have a good Christmas memory of when I was 5 or 6 and we were living in a newly built house. My brother and I hung our everyday stockings on the fireplace mantle and my father bought such a tall tree that it had to be cut down. One night I woke to hear jingle bells, looked out the window and saw tracks in the newly fallen snow and just knew that Santa had just been to our house. I ran downstairs to see what he left but there wasn't anything there. Turns out what I had heard was the jungle bells on the milkman's horse and wagon.
            Last edited by MayinJerset; November 12, 2016, 09:47 AM.

Comment

Most memorable gift was 1979 when I got engaged. Was not expecting that. Had spent Christmas with my family and then drove back to TX that afternoon. When I got to see my then boyfriend, was surprised. Most memorable Christmas was 1989. My father had just retired, and mom and dad came to TX to spend Christmas with us. My daughter had just turned 4 and Santa brought her a Little Tykes kitchen. Dad played with her and that kitchen all day. I never remember him being so relaxed. Even asked mom if that was really my dad. Two months later his life changed drastically. I'll always remember that Christmas. Love you Dad.

Comment

The first thing that popped into my head - the year Dad gave me a CASE of CATSUP!
                Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
                it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Comment

My most memorable was the year I received my first bicycle from Santa. It wasn't so much the gift as the events surrounding that Christmas. My older siblings had advised me that year (I was about 5 yrs old) that there was no Santa. I was devastated to say the least and cried to my mother, who assured me that there was a Santa as long as I believed.

Well that year we all had bicyles on our Christmas wish list, and you can image how disapointed my siblings were Christmas morning to find only one bike under the tree, with my name on it. Oh there were plenty of other presents, but the last one was addressed to my three older siblings, and inside was a note sending them over to the neighbor's house for the next clue.

Off they went, still in their PJs. The neighbor handed them an envelope and inside was another clue leading them to yet another neighbor. All in all, I believe they had to go to about 4 or 5 houses before the last note sent them home to look on the roof. And there perched on the roof, were three more bicyles from "Santa" along with a note to remind them to always keep him in their heart as he represents the spirit of giving.

I still believe in Santa, the Easter Bunner, and the Toothfairy (she wears tennis shoes, but that's another story).

Comment

The year of the cabbage patch kid craze-= 1983-ish ?

Leading up to Christmas some stores advertised limited numbers of cabbage patch kids being available at a certain date and time. My family waited in LONG lines never even able to make it in the door. I remember my older brother was convinced this one time at this one store that this was going to be my chance to get one. We went ahead of the event and he helped me map out the store so we would all know exactly where to run when the doors opened. We had a plan to split up to cover more ground in the store in case "they" were tricky and didn't put the cabbage patch kids with the toys at all. My brother and I literally spend hours strategizing,...we even practiced a few test runs before the event. Mom path A, Dad path B me Path C and him Path D. We were ready...but again never made it in to the store before they were sold out.

Mom and Dad explained that was likely our last chance to get one and we could continue looking for one after the Christmas rush went away. Queue the big alligator tears.

Anyway...Christmas day comes, open all presents - no cabbage patch kid. After everything is cleaned up - my mom calls out "Hey, I think I see something in the bathroom." Silly Santa left my cabbage path kid in the bathroom as a joke !!!

I was in heaven. Nothing has ever compared to that excitement.

Comment

Originally posted by Caroline T. View Post

I still believe in Santa, the Easter Bunner, and the Toothfairy (she wears tennis shoes, but that's another story).
                      Me too!

My youngest memory was a Santa running around the house. Turns out it was one of my uncles I remember gifts like a pink talking telephone, but actually opening a gift, was a sewing machine my mom got me around 10. I worked my way up to making clothes. She said I'll buy the fabric, but you have to finish it. Wish that advice was working now. lol
                      🌺 Lorie

Comment

I can not remember a favorite Christmas story of my own childhood but as a mother, Alex gave me one to alway remember. Alex was about three or four and I worked a lot. I had her in daycare/preschool to not only be social but for the necessity of some one to take care of her during the day. That Christmas season was the year all the little ones her age was learning about baby Jesus. At the same time Alex wanted a baby doll. So I had looked into the American Girl Itty Bitty Baby. They came with a lot of child safe but neat things for baby to have and one of those things was a carrying basket pram. As Christmas arrived and Alex work that morning she found that Santa had laid out the Bitty Baby doll in it's basket pram underneath the tree. Alex gasps excitedly and says; "I got baby Jesus for Christmas!" I was surprised not in a horrified way. Just surprised of what came out of my daughter's mouth. I asked Alex of what she was going to name her baby doll? Alex: Baby Jesus! And Baby Jesus it remained.

Comment

As an adult, I've always lamented the fact that I've never been able to gift my friends and family in a way that I'd like to. It shouldn't matter so much, but I overheard my brothers talking one year about who was going to end up getting my crummy present in our gift exchange. That year, with the help of an online friend in Australia, I managed to get my hands on a fully autographed album from oldest brother's favorite band. The exchange rate was very favorable at the time, so I was able to afford it. The look on his face when he saw it was priceless, and it was one that he didn't have since it was an import. No small feat if you knew what his collection looks like.

That was the year my brothers and SILs decided to stop doing an adult exchange in the future. I guess they figured that they would let me go out with a bang. It seems silly, but I was really happy to be able to give something special to someone, despite what they expected of me.

Comment

Originally posted by SisterDi View Post
                            As an adult, I've always lamented the fact that I've never been able to gift my friends and family in a way that I'd like to. It shouldn't matter so much, but I overheard my brothers talking one year about who was going to end up getting my crummy present in our gift exchange. That year, with the help of an online friend in Australia, I managed to get my hands on a fully autographed album from oldest brother's favorite band. The exchange rate was very favorable at the time, so I was able to afford it. The look on his face when he saw it was priceless, and it was one that he didn't have since it was an import. No small feat if you knew what his collection looks like.

That was the year my brothers and SILs decided to stop doing an adult exchange in the future. I guess they figured that they would let me go out with a bang. It seems silly, but I was really happy to be able to give something special to someone, despite what they expected of me.
                            I hope he has that insured! Holy moly!
                            🌺 Lorie

Comment

The used sewing machine I got for Christmas when I was 14. Its the only time anyone ever gave me a gift I actually wanted. I treasured it for many years.

Comment

Working...
                              X