X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cool Breeze Quilter
    replied
    Re: Sorry

Sandy, my heart goes out to you. You have been through a lot and are going through a lot still. Remember that you are stronger than you know. And you are loved. I haven't read what everyone here has written but it is easy to tell that many, many people here care deeply about you. I was going to suggest what JCY has already suggested to you. Grammaterry has good suggestions too. Please let you're family know what is happening. If a loved one was going through this I would want to know. I will keep you in my prayers. Hugs.

Leave a comment:

• LauraP
    replied

On a lighter note, you could be like the people here in Kansas. When they can't drive their cars, they drive their riding lawnmowers. There are days you can't find a parking spot for your car around the square because of all the lawnmowers. We are nothing if not adaptive.

Leave a comment:

• Granny Judy
    replied

Sandy, I have been thru the same thing as you are experiencing right now. I was 48 when I had my accident that changed my whole life. Please know that there is a way to get help.. I found a neighbor, a church service and a free senior citizen service. I just had to get over my stubborn independent self and start asking.

It is hard... so very hard. But you can do this. Just keep saying (everyday) I can DO THIS..
    Last edited by Granny Judy; November 2nd, 2016, 03:26 AM.

Leave a comment:

• grandma nurse
    replied

My dear Sandy. I started this quest to find out what was wrong that we weren't hearing from you. I don't know, maybe you are reading the post but just don't feel up to posting. I know I'm like that. I feel like so many people are my friends here on the forum and love to read about what they are doing but I'm just insecure enough that I don't often post. I want to thank you for posting and letting us know you are still around. You don't have to be working on a quilt to post. You are one of us. I have been having mobility problems for over 10 years but I can still drive. It is after I get to my destination that I have problems. I can only walk a handful of steps before my back is in spasms. At home I use a walker, but it is 'backbreaking' to take it in a vehicle. Hard to load and unload. So when I do go it is usually to go to my LQS in small town, and friends are understanding and help me. It is hard to ask for help. I also know that being around others helps feed our soul. Please find some help and even think about assisted living. The one in my home town has so many activities that even people that aren't living in the center participate in. They have a quilting group that has bunchs of fun. It is tied in with the senior center for meals and I go and visit with friends at least once a month to eat and share. So many of your friends on the forum have given you some excellent ideas.
    Please let us know which ones you are trying first. Keep us updated.

Leave a comment:

• cjsews
    replied

Have you considered assisted living facilities? You can have some independence but they give you assistance where needed. Also have others in your situation that need social connections. Check out several places to see what they offer

Leave a comment:

• Jean Sewing Machine
    replied

Sandy, your post breaks my heart to read. I think all of us fear that time in our lives when we are alone and feel abandoned. We hate the thought of losing our autonomy to go where we want and do what we want. I know I fear that so much.

Many people have given great ideas of how you might seek out help, companionship and someone to lift your spirits. My prayers for you are that the Good Lord gives you the strength to conquer your fears and find a way of living in your present situation that makes you happy. But I think you need to be Frank with your children as to what you need. They need to know how their indifference to your situation is affecting you, and they need to step up and help you more!

Love you, dear quilting friend! Please come to us when you need to talk!

Leave a comment:

• EnumclawGramma
    replied

So very sorry for all this Sandy. But we're all happy to hear from you. Please remember you're in the prayers of many. I echo all that has already been said.....with love

Leave a comment:

• grammaterry
    replied

Ok...I've read all these posts and everyone really loves you. You know that. And you know your family really loves you. But right now, we need to get you out of that depression funk.
    How about this?
    You are a very talented gal. You sew, you knit, you crochet.
    How about passing along this talent. ? Run an ad, post a bulletin at church at LQS. Call the local High School and Jr. high. Let them know that you are ready to teach young people this wonderful world of fabrics.
    Take 4 or 5 people at a time...as many as you feel comfortable with in your home and charge a very nominal fee and start them with the basics. You will get a renewed outlook...you will have people coming in several times a week and you might connect with a few of them as life long friends. Hopefully this will solve the isolation problem. And, these folks won't be in a hurry!
    The extra income will pay for someone to come in and keep the house clean and maybe some snacks for your students.

Leave a comment:

• Carlie Wolf
    replied

You're such a sweet person Sandy. This breaks my heart :-(

I know there is nothing more that I can add that others have not already. I'm glad you love us enough here to be able to put all this out there. We all love you very much. I know that there are mega prayers out there for you that God will give you the strength to go through this very hard time.

((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((HUGS)))))))))))))))) ))))))

Leave a comment:

• WendyI
    replied

As someone who suffers from depression, anxiety and loneliness, my heart broke reading your post. There are some very good helpful solutions on here and you are the only one who can put them into play. I also hate asking people for anything and am very often disappointed when I do. Take advantage of what your community has to offer and speak to caregivers. Get on a good antidepressant and see a therapist. And I know this is the most painful thought of all...but consider moving where amenities are closer for you. It's a difficult decision to make but a house and things are nothing compared to quality of life. And mostly, keep posting here. The more you shut yourself away the more isolated and depressed you will feel. Sending you lots of warm hugs and love!!! xoxoxox

Leave a comment:

• songbird857
    replied

Oh Sandy, honey - my heart is aching for you right now! Hugs and prayers to you
    I'll echo what others have said. Reach out to Senior services and/or your church, neighborhood group, etc.
    I do know that my parents get free delivery from a local supermarket - they call the store every Monday, and give the store a list. Everyone knows them there because they have shopped there for years! They also have something called 'the ride', where they can set up a ride with 24 hours notice. Now, they do live in a large city, so you'll have to research what is available in your area. Definitely start with Senior Services.
    I wish I could do more than give suggestions
    Hugs...

Leave a comment:

• Suzette
    replied

Sandy, I cannot add to all the great advice you have been given, but I will add my sentiments that you are a valuable member of this group and are so important to us. We treasure you as a forum friend and when you are gone, you are so missed! Keep hanging out with us and sharing. We are here for you.

My prayers are with you every day. Hugs!!

Leave a comment:

• amartin24
    replied

Sandy, I was so saddened by your post. Prayers lifted for all of your needs. Your situation reminds me of my mother. It is very difficult when you've been very independent all your life and then gradually, or even suddenly, you need to ask others for help. Above all, God knows your situation. Prayer works! Even if that prayer brought you the courage to enter your post. It was a first step to getting you the help you need. Sure wish I was near to you and could help. I agree with what everyone else has posted with compassionate and helpful suggestions. I do know that the Center for Aging is extremely helpful. They sent out someone to assess my Mom to get her what she needed. Your family needs to really know what is going on. Please keep posting and let us know what is going on. We all care about you, even if we haven't met you in person.

Leave a comment:

• pcbatiks
    replied

Sandy, like the others.....I'm sorry to hear what you are going through. I do agree the first thing you should do is tell your family everything you are feeling. I like Iris Girls suggestion. Show them your post if you need too. They may not realize that you feel isolated and depressed.

Definitely make arrangements to talk with a therapist or counselor.....someone qualified to help you through this depression. Your doctor or your local NAMI office can help direct you to a therapist.

This link might be of help for transportation. They provide transportation to quite a few places including a senior center. The senior center may have daily activities. That would give you others to socialize with.

http://cassdelivers.org/transportation/

We care about you. Please tell your family. That will be the first step towards feeling better. We will praying for you.

Leave a comment:

• Iris Girl
    replied

Sandy I too echo what everyone else has said here. I would definitely gather the family and have a talk. Maybe show them this post you wrote here so they understand. Hoping you find a solution maybe with the senior center or a church group if you belong. Your family needs to know and should be helping you in time of need.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X