Technology ~ Can we keep up?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Technology ~ Can we keep up?

For the past few years I have been doing all of my printing on a small copier that I bought from where I used to work. When they upgraded all the computers there to Windows 7, the copier was no longer supported by Canon with updated drivers. We had just gotten 2 toner cartridges refilled too! So, since they were going to have to purchase a new copier and my printer was having issues feeding paper through, I offered them $200 for it. That way they had money to put toward a new copier and I got something I could print with, since my desktop still ran Windows XP. A win win all around. I have happily been printing to my hearts content for the last almost 3 years and still haven't gone through 1 toner cartridge! Well, the old XP computer decided it wasn't going to boot up the other day. I decided it would be cheaper to buy a new printer that was compatible with my Win 10 laptop than getting an old computer running an outdated system looked at and repaired. If I need multiple copies of anything I can just run one on the new printer and then make copies on the Canon.

So, I just spent the last 2 hours setting this darned wireless printer up! It connected to the laptop easily. I should have known to stop there. Really. But it's wireless and you can print from anywhere! From your mobile phone! From your tablet! Now, honestly, am I e.v.e.r. going to print from my phone? I won't be home to get the papers if I do. What's the point? I'm telling you, I should have stopped after the laptop was connected. But NOOOOOOOooooooooo, that would have been too easy. After downloading an app and updating another one it was time to set up the phone to print. I spent most of those two hours tying in the password to my wireless network, over and over and over and over. Every once in a while I would change that 1 to an l (small L) because I wasn't real sure what I wrote down. It looked like a 1, no it looked like an l. I logged on to the website where I can manage my wireless account and copied the password, or so I thought. I pasted it into the place for the password. It was a youtube link. Gaaaaahhhhhhhh! I finally got the phone to accept the wireless password and I'm still not 100% sure if it was a 1 or an l, I just hope I don't need it anytime soon.

I am normally pretty tech savvy, but I almost had to admit defeat tonight.

Oh, BTW, I won't be printing from my tablet any time soon ....
    K is for Karen 😊​..................
    Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
    T - is it TRUE?
    H - is it HELPFUL?
    I - is it INSPIRING?
    N - is it NECESSARY?
    K - is it KIND?

Re: Technology ~ Can we keep up?

. . . can you print to my printer?
    Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
    it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Comment

I have no need nor desire to keep up beyond what is convenient for ME. Life is so much simpler that way. Heh, I still have a landline.

Comment

I feel your pain Karen! I had to get a new desktop PC earlier this year. DS was visiting and he installed it for me. Last month, I had to get a new modem and router as both were old and not working well. Along with the new router, I bought a wireless printer & upgraded my internet so I could do my part-time job more easily. The phone co/Internet provider installed the modem with the upgrade. I installed the new router and wireless printer. By the time I got the laptop, wireless printer, and ROKU all connected to the new router's secure network and working right, my mind needed a rest. Now I'm expecting the laptop to go at any time due to old age!
        *~* Myrna *~*
        *~* Quilters lead pieceful lives *~*

Comment

I feel your frustration. I couldn't ever get the wireless to work on mine. Then switching to windows 10 screwed me up and I got help installing a new driver thanks to the forum. Now the other day it wouldn't work thanks to a gecko that got stuck and smushed inside.
          🌺 Lorie

Comment

I love my wireless printer, but it realizes the expiration date on the ink and won't print if out of date! So .......I don't print like I use to and often when I need to, the ink is old. Urgh! It is always something!

Comment

My Windows XP desktop just died, too. We decided not to get it fixed but haven't done anything about replacing it because we have the laptops. I needed some form printed the other day and my laptop wouldn't print because of the latest update and I hadn't updated the print drivers yet so I printed the form from my phone. I never thought I would use that function, either, but it came in handy.

Lori, a gecko got stuck in the printer? Eww.
              Cindy

Comment

Is this some kind of plot to force us to keep buying new hardware? The drivers for my scanner will only work on my five your old computer. However at five years old it can no longer get updates for the Windows operating system or Java (the installs repeatedly fail.) If I get a newer computer I will also have to upgrade all my old peripherals. The hardware is working fine. It is the software that is failing.
                Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

Comment

Whoa, a Gekko...Anyway...All these cheap technology that we learn and learn to love and then we don't want to give them up. My DH like old stuff and he keeps trying to resurrect old desk tops that he remembers fondly. Our first was a Tandy in 1980 and , of course, we still have it on a shelf. We still have an old bag phone from 1986 complete with an add on that let you take credit cards and get them transmitted...the other day, he hauled out 3 old desk tops and tried to get them up and running to watch his game camera SD's. Of course, it didn't work...but on and on. He thinks that because an old radio can work...why not computers. I keep telling him that if they worked, we wouldn't have bought a new one....
                  Walk in peace with the Lord by your side.
                  Terry

Comment

OH Karen,

I feel your pain. At one time I thought of myself as tech savvy but no so much since I retired. My husband loved XP and would almost kill for a laptop with a working copy of XP on it. Instead he has been forced to Win 7. I work on Win 10 laptop. We have a great photo printer that doesn't have drivers more current than XP and I still have ink left for it too.

In my opinion printers are an ink delivery system and difficult to get along with. I had a printer on the wireless network and it worked just fine and then we both we forced to replace our laptops. Now the printer sits on his desk and if I want to print I walk my laptop into his office and plug in the printer to my pc. I cannot get it to work wirelessly on either laptop and they both have the drivers for it. OH well.

If you are interested in what we do in rural SE Kentucky with computer when they no longer work or have something incriminating on them that must be destroyed then take a look at this youtube video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wKD5mFcKkg

We did this for 8 years on the forth of July but then it became too much work cleaning up the field. If you look to the right side of the youtube video you will find links to videos from 2006 and 2008, think link goes to one from 2007.

Sue

Comment

I adore my Epson wireless printers. The ink seems to last longer than Canon and you link it to your wireless router. No need to download drivers for each device. All my devices work with them ( I have 2 on line). Anyone who uses my home wifi can print, makes visitors printing boarding passes very happy. And they are CHEAP, too!

Comment

The wonders of new technology! And....the wonderful part is that they make the changes so often. And then the various programs don't play nice together. Let's face it, how many of us wake up in the morning and say. What do I want to do today? Oh, lets put our sewing away (and everything else) and play with new technologies. And if we're "lucky" we can get to play with it for a couple of days, get ourselves really frustrated and ready to toss the #amn thing out the window and go back to using pen and pencil. I use to be able to build my own computers from scratch. Where are the good old days when it was only Microsoft and Netscape not playing nice together?

Two year ago my computer was having all types of problem, sound, keyboard, not starting up properly etc. I had to purchase a new computer (naturally the new one wouldn't accept my older printer which ran just fine thank you very much). Rather than toss the old laptop I decided to give it one last try and totally erased the hard drive. I downloaded a Ubuntu operating system and proceeded to install it on the wiped drive. It worked, the sound, the keyboard, the programs,etc. I can also use my old working printer on it. So I use it as a secondary laptop and it sure does come in handy periodically.
                        https://forum.missouriquiltco.com/co.../icon_wave.gif
                        Women are Angels. When someone break's our wings we will continue to fly-usually on a broomstick.We're flexible like that.

Comment

Originally posted by grammaterry View Post
                          Whoa, a Gekko...Anyway...All these cheap technology that we learn and learn to love and then we don't want to give them up. My DH like old stuff and he keeps trying to resurrect old desk tops that he remembers fondly. Our first was a Tandy in 1980 and , of course, we still have it on a shelf. We still have an old bag phone from 1986 complete with an add on that let you take credit cards and get them transmitted...the other day, he hauled out 3 old desk tops and tried to get them up and running to watch his game camera SD's. Of course, it didn't work...but on and on. He thinks that because an old radio can work...why not computers. I keep telling him that if they worked, we wouldn't have bought a new one....
                          Its a hobby that keeps him off the streets, right? Look at us, spending hours cutting fabric into little pieces and sewing it all back together again.

Comment

I had to do the same thing recently and it was a frustrating ordeal. I have to keep us working/printing because we need to print and copy things for our company. It keeps us humble.

We have an HP Officejet 6600 and LOVE it!
                            sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

Being a gadget geek I almost went down that rabbit hole too Karen. But I stopped and decided that I would never need to print from my phone or tablet. So I didn't do it.

A few years later and I still have no need to print from my phone or tablet.

Comment

Working...
                              X