Cast iron skillet ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cast iron skillet ?

I have looked up tons of sites on how to clean them. Don't use soap, dry it in the oven, season it etc.. How are you supposed to get the grease off after frying fish or chicken and then it still smells after just washing with water?

Then I see cooking shows where the pan has been handed down after 75 years. I'm just not getting it.
    🌺 Lorie

Re: Cast iron skillet ?

I knew someone who just wiped out the oil - BUT, like you, I don't like the oil on it and the smell. I wash in soap and water - I like clean.

Comment

In cases like this I would wash it quickly in warm soapy water, rinse thoroughly, cloth dry and then season it with a wipe of oil.

Comment

I love my cast iron pans and use them almost every day. You can wash your pan with soap and water. I turn on the oven before I start to wash the pan so it starts getting hot. Then I will wash the inside of the pan with soap and water, dry it with a towel, wipe the cooking surface lightly with oil (if I have it, I use bacon grease) and put the pan in the oven to totally dry. I turn off the oven and leave the pans in the oven overnight. I tend to just leave the pans in the oven as a place to store them.

You can also clean your pan by rubbing it with salt instead of water. My husband likes to do it that way but I don't.

Comment

We have several older cast iron skillets and at least one is used every day. I know people that NEVER let water touch their skillets but that is not us. If the skillet has been used and nothing is sticking to it I will likely just wipe it out with a paper towel and cook again. If something it stuck and my husband cleans the kitchen up he will put it in the sink with dish soap and hot water and let it sit there over night.
          Either way works for us. We will give a quick spray of oil and go on cooking. Love our cast iron skillets.

Sue

Comment

Originally posted by MayinJerset View Post
            In cases like this I would wash it quickly in warm soapy water, rinse thoroughly, cloth dry and then season it with a wipe of oil.
            Same here. I put mine back on the stove to dry.

Comment

I have skillets that my dad used in the Army (he was a cook) during WWII. They get washed with hot, soapy water, very lightly seasoned, and dried with heat (stove-top for us). I think the trick is to make sure they are really dry. It's the water that can rust them.
              Cindy

Comment

Interesting topic.......I wash my cast iron pans with soap and water, but never scrub them with SOS pads or scrubbies. My son only uses water, NEVER soap! My daughter is afraid to use hers because she is confused by her brother. I think if the pans are well seasoned it doesn't matter, but if the pans are newer they do need to be seasoned and cared for more carefully. I only use mine for certain recipes, but that is what my mom did, so........

Comment

Originally posted by seaturtle View Post
                  I have skillets that my dad used in the Army (he was a cook) during WWII. They get washed with hot, soapy water, very lightly seasoned, and dried with heat (stove-top for us). I think the trick is to make sure they are really dry. It's the water that can rust them.
                  REALLY dry, with a light coat of oil heated in. That is what keeps them non-stick as well as rust free. I still use some that are over 100 years old.

Comment

I have one that I use solely for fried potatoes. I rinse with hot water and put it on the pilot lite of the stove to dry. I have others I use for meats that have to be washed and reseasoned.
                    Walk in peace with the Lord by your side.
                    Terry

Comment

I just use soap and water, no scouring items. Then heat it on the stove so it dries quickly. Thing with a caste iron pot is that you can periodically scour it if necessary. It doesn't really ruin the pot itself Just like with a new caste iron pot, it takes a while to season it and the iron darkens more. You can scour it well to get all the whatevers out then start reseasoning it. I've done that with old caste iron pots I've picked up at garage sales and stuff. I've also done it if the pot has been sitting in storage for a long time.
                      https://forum.missouriquiltco.com/co.../icon_wave.gif
                      Women are Angels. When someone break's our wings we will continue to fly-usually on a broomstick.We're flexible like that.

Comment

I wash mine with soap and water and then dry it. Do a very light coat of oil to stop it from rusting and seasons it. Most soaks in and you never know it was oiled.
                        sigpic:icon_hug: Iris Girl = April = fabric, Fabric FABRIC!!
                        Time spent with cats is never wasted.
                        Sigmund Freud

Comment

I also wash with hot water and detergent, dry on stove top and if needed rub in some corn oil. I donot soak- that might make a soapy taste. I have a separate skillet for fish.
                          "Never stop believing that fighting for what is right is worth it"
                          Hillary Clinton

Comment

I am a bad girl. I do everything you aren't supposed to do but my cast iron pans are in pretty good shape, are used once or twice a week and have no rust. I season then when I think about it about every 2 years. If they were used for frying and have breading gunked on, then I let the pan sit in hot soapy water for about 15 minutes which really loosens things up. For a really greasy yucky pan I sprinkle about 1/2 T of Bar Keepers Friend and scour with that which you are NOT supposed to do but it works like magic. Then I rinse real good and dry on stove top. None of my pans have been ruined from doing this. Be brave, try it!!

And I have to say Wow Shirleyknot 100 year old pans. That is amazing!!
                            Last edited by jjkaiser; October 29, 2016, 11:08 AM.

Comment

I use mine-think there might be 5, plus a griddle and dutch oven-all the time. I rarely have anything stick bad enough to use soap. On the rare times I do, it is put back on the burner with water to boil, scrub with a brush then rinsed and put back on the hot burner to dry. I have heard that a small amount of soap won't hurt them if they are rinsed well and dried. I have a couple that I've used since I was married nearly 40 years ago. I would put a well seasoned cast iron skillet up against the new non-stick pans any day
                              “What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world, is and remains immortal.”

― Albert Pine

Comment

Working...
                              X