Runtie, part two....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Runtie, part two....

Last night after we left Heathers, she sat down with Ashtyn and talked some more about what would be happening today. He felt that he wanted to go with her, so this morning they set off to our friends vet office. She said they were so kind and welcoming and made the bad day not so bad.

They have a special family room that is nicely furnished, to include a fireplace and they were able to spend time with Runtie in there away from other patients and people, then stay with her after until they were ready to leave. Both of them were crying like babies. I spoke to her this afternoon to see how she was doing and she was much better than I expected her to be. I asked about Ashtyn, who is ten and grew up with Runtie, and she said he was with his dad for the weekend but had been quiet all day. She made sure his dad knew about what he had been thru, poor little guy.

I asked if she wanted us to come over to get Runties things and remove them from the house for her, but she said Ashtyn was not ready for that and asked that they could keep them a while and they could pretend she was still there. She told him they would do it in a week and he was fine with that.

Runtie was left at the vet and she will be cremated. Heather is trying to think of something to do with her ashes and wanted all of us to have some. I suggested making garden stones and decorating them, but she still has to decide what she wants to do.

I don't think I've ever told you the story about how Runtie came to adore me. When Heather and Ashtyns dad got divorced, she had to move into an apartment with the boys. The complex allowed dogs, but not pitbulls. MM and I brought her to our house and she lived her for just over three years.

We were on a trip to Hawaii and had housesitters staying with the dogs. On my birthday, we got a call that Runtie and Yoda had runaway! Happy birthday to me I put ads on Craigslist and the newspaper and had police, animal control and friends looking for them. Yoda got picked up by the dog catcher, but no Runtie. We came home about three weeks later, and altho there had been several sightings of her (one on the freeway!) she was too timid to come to anyone she did not know. Everyone was driving around with McD's burgers in their car, but she would have nothing of it!

Once we got home, we drove all over looking and put up flyers as well. I kept refreshing the Craigslist ad, but we got only a couple of sighting calls on her. MM's birthday is exactly six weeks after mine. Just the day before I had decided I was giving up the search and made the daily visit to the pound September 5th. The next day I left work and went to the mall to get his present and a birthday card. I was standing in the middle of Hallmark when my phone rang. It was a woman who said 'I think I have your dog'. I was in disbelief and asked her why. She said she had shown up about three weeks prior but would not come near her or her husband. She would come over and play with her dogs and eat, but that was it. She was living in the bushes of the church across the street. Finally, a couple days before she called me, Runtie came to her and she could see the scar on her leg and the color of her collar. I did not post her name in the ad because I didn't want someone knowing it and then keeping her.

So, there I stood in the middle of Hallmark bawling. Two women were nearby looking at me and once I got off the phone, I told them what was going on. Now we were all crying! I ran out to my car and raced to where she was. I got out of my SUV and I see the woman walk from behind her house with a dog that clearly was not mine. I let her know that was not my dog, but thanks. She said, oh, this is my dog! About then, Runtie appears from behind the garage and was about 50 feet from me. She started barking ferociously at me and I yelled 'Runtie! Knock it off!' As soon as she heard my voice she took off like a shot towards me. I barely had time to get in front of my vehicle to help me stand when she hit me, putting her feet on my shoulders, which she had never done.

She was a red nosed pitbull, which means all the white parts of her would turn flaming red when she was excited. She dropped to the ground and rolled on her back and she was just flaming red. I thanked the woman and she told me she had been trying to guess her name and if she would have figured it out she would have kept her, but who names a pitbull Runtie?? Her husband actually made her call or he told her he would take her to the pound the next day, which would have been good since they were all looking for her anyway and had her picture posted down there in case she was brought in.

I put her in the car where she thought she had to ride on my lap! I got her home and woke Roger to tell him I had a present for him and he needed to get up. Well, now he was excited and came racing from the bedroom! He looked around wondering what he was getting (not what he thought!) and I told him it was out on the deck. He walked out there and got bowled over! He was as amazed as me that we had her back. From that day on that dog never left my side. If I was home, she was next to me. When Heather moved up her after marrying and Runtie went to live with them again, Runtie would next to me whenever we visited. She would go to Roger as well, but mainly just stay by me.

So tonight as I think of her, I know she is racing around happy as can be and chasing each and every squirrel she can.

I love you Runtie ♥
    pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Re: Runtie, part two....

Pat i'm sorry for the loss you all feel right now,but that story was a cute one .Isn't it amazing how dogs remember and respond.
    :icon_wave:Joan

Comment

What a sweet story...such loyalty (by you and Runtie!)

Comment

Sorry to hear about Runtie. They sure grab ahold of our hearts. Hugs to you.
        "I'm putting together a list of 100 reasons why I am NOT relentless!" - Sue Heck, The Middle

Leonard: For God's sake, Sheldon, do I have to hold up a sarcasm sign every time I open my mouth?
        Sheldon (intrigued): You have a sarcasm sign?

Comment

What a wonderful story and thanks for sharing. So sorry for your loss as well.
          Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Comment

Well that made me cry. Sorry for your loss. (((hugs)))
            🌺 Lorie

Comment

Tears here, too!!
              Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
              it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Comment

Sweet story! It's so good to have such a devoted pet! So sorry for your family's loss of their beloved companion.

Comment

What a wonderful story. I'm all teary. I am so sorry for your loss.

Jeannette

Comment

The tears are rolling down my cheeks from your very moving story. So sorry for your loss.
                    Peggiep
                    "I don't need to get organized, I just need a bigger sewing room." :)

Comment

My heart aches for your whole family. God bless and know you are all in my prayers.
                      Courage is being scared to death, and saddling up anyway. ~John Wayne

Quilting is my passion . . . chocolate is a close second!

Comment

Sweet story of a loving dog, she had a good life with your family.

Comment

Thanks for sharing that story. Runtie was well loved by all her family. We always miss them but those special memories get us through.

Comment

Thanks for sharing that sweet story, Pat. {{Hugs}}
                            Cindy

Comment

So sorry for your loss. Such a heartwarming story. Thank you for sharing it with us.
                              Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X