• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bubba
    Missouri Star
    • Mar 2013

....tired of sadness.

Our oldest, Heather, called me this afternoon and I could tell something was wrong. She right away said she had bad news. I figured either her husband, who is deployed and trying to figure out if he wants to remain married, was either hurt or killed, or her sister was hurt or in jail.

No, it's her dog, Runtie. She is the sweetest pit bull you have ever met. Her and our Yoda, the schnoodle, were born the same day and year and are both twelve and a half. Well, Heather came home early from work today because she was sick. She let Runtie out into the yard. Well, a squirrel caught her eye and she leapt off the deck and chased her, crashing full on into the fence. Heather said poor Runtie made the worse sounds she has ever heard. She got her loaded into the car and rushed her to the vet. Her shoulder is either broken or dislocated and her leg is broken in at least one place. Surgery would be $3000 or more!!!

She made the decision that she would have her put down and had the vet drug her up so she could bring her home tonight so her sons, Ashtyn (ten years) and Tyler, could tell her good bye along w/the rest of us. Oh my goodness....we spent about two hours there with crying children, adults and a doped up dog. When Alex started crying, it was more than I could stand, and I started crying too. I pulled myself together to tell her the story of the rainbow bridge and that seemed to help.

We finally left to home home to have dinner and I managed to gag that down, and now here I sit with MM at work. She will be taking her to our friends in the morning to have her put down. I offered to go with her, but she wants to go by herself.

Give your dogs an extra scratch for Runtie please.
    pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!
  • Hulamoon
    Missouri Star
    • Jul 2012

Re: ....tired of sadness.

That is sad Maybe they have a payment plan? I had a cat that lived 18 yrs. So 12 sounds young to me.
    🌺 Lorie

Comment

• stationarymom
      Missouri Star
      • Jun 2013

I'm so sorry to hear about Runtie.One of the hardest things is to let our friends go,I still have vivid memories of the last time I had to make the call on that one.I hope the kids understand that he will be in a better place and he may have been in constant pain even with surgery.I'm sending (((Hugs)))
      :icon_wave:Joan

Comment

• bubba
        Missouri Star
        • Mar 2013

Originally posted by Hulamoon View Post
        That is sad Maybe they have a payment plan? I had a cat that lived 18 yrs. So 12 sounds young to me.
        For a dog her size, they normally only live eight to ten years, so she is beyond that. The vet did not know if she would make it thru the surgery or even recover from it, so she made the hard choice. It's just so sad.
        pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

• dwil23
          Missouri Star
          • May 2012

Being a pitbull grandma, I can appreciate how you feel about your Runtie. They are the best dogs ever. I am so sorry that this has happened to her and sure wish thee was something that could be done for her. Prayers for all of you during this time.
          Donna

Comment

• peggiep
            Applique Angel
            • Oct 2015

I know this is very hard on the whole family. My thoughts and prayers are with you.
            Peggiep
            "I don't need to get organized, I just need a bigger sewing room." :)

Comment

• Monique
              Missouri Star
              • Jan 2011

So sorry for your family. Sending hugs.
              Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Comment

• seaturtle
                Missouri Star
                • Jul 2015

So sorry to hear about Runtie. We have a Pit/Sharpei mix and she is so loyal and loving. Her stubbornness gets her into some tight spots, too. Prayers for family as they go through the grieving. Get some rest, Pat.
                Cindy

Comment

• Sandy Navas
                  Missouri Star
                  • Dec 2010

Hugs to the whole Runtie family!! Her passing is leaving a giant hole -
                  Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
                  it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Comment

• Cathy F
                    Missouri Star
                    • Jan 2012

My thoughts are with your family. It's a heartbreaking situation us pet owners have to make. Hugs to your daughter.
                    Visit my Flickr page, sewing and cakes!
                    http://www.flickr.com/photos/90704986@N07/

Comment

• Lyndaj
                      The Guild President
                      • Dec 2015

I'm so sorry. I went through this almost a year ago, but for cancer, not a serious accident. Your daughter made a tough decision based on the vet's prognosis. Hugging my Java.

Comment

• Caroline T.
                        Missouri Star
                        • Jun 2016

I just had to hug my Maggie, she's a little over 13 years old and I know I'll be facing the same difficult decision all too soon. As hard as it is, your daughter made the most loving and compassionate decision for Runtie and her family.

Hugs to all.

Comment

• MayinJerset
                          Missouri Star
                          • May 2012

No doggies here but I know how hard this is on top of all the other worries, sending you and your family some mega HUGS.

Comment

• cashs mom
                            Applique Angel
                            • Oct 2016

I'm so sorry about Runtie. I know how it is I've spent thousands on my dog for back and cancer surgeries. Hugs.
                            Patrice S

Comment

• Carlie Wolf
                              Missouri Star
                              • Oct 2013

I'm so, so sorry. It is such a difficult thing to have to do.
                              https://forum.missouriquiltco.com/co.../icon_wave.gif
                              Women are Angels. When someone break's our wings we will continue to fly-usually on a broomstick.We're flexible like that.

Comment

Working...
                              X