X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lyndaj
    replied
    Re: Suggestions please! and rant

I just have to say this. I am very happy that we no longer live in the dark ages! I was born in 1962 so I have seen the world change a whole lot and wouldn't give up my smartphone for anything! Yes, there is a lot of stuff on tv and shown in the movie theaters that is not appropriate for young kids. However, it is up to the parents to make the appropriate judgement. I have seen young kids (less than 8) at both Star Wars - The Force Awakens which was rated PG and was FULL of violence and DeadPool which was rated R!!!!! What the heck are people thinking?

Leave a comment:

• Tricia
    replied

Try PBS, they have the best educational shows. My daughter loved Wild Kratts and Word Girl when she was that age.

Leave a comment:

• kensington
    replied

Starting October 29th the Hallmark Channel will be showing Christmas movies. G rated. No cussing...no nudity.

Leave a comment:

• GuitarGramma
    replied

I have Dish Network, and there are two channels I like: Boomerang and FETV. Boomerang is a kid channel that airs the cartoons I grew up watching. FETV has about half and half religious programming and old shows like Roy Rogers.

As a side note, a few years ago, DH and I vacationed at a timeshare near Roy Rogers' old ranch. We drove around until we found it I and I immediately recognized the ranch gate. Videographers were talented even back then; the gate was way more narrow than it looks on TV!

Leave a comment:

• meliswan
    replied

If she likes horses, Heartland on Netflix is really good family show. Netflix has the first seven seasons.

Leave a comment:

• toggpine
    replied

Disney Junior doesn't have commercials (or it didn't). The other Disney channels with the Tween+ programming are kind of annoying.

Leave a comment:

• grammaterry
    replied

The old shows are still out there and you can stream them from your computer. There is a site called Putlocker that you can get anything for free

Leave a comment:

• Hulamoon
    replied

I just went to Netflix to see what was on there. Wow, there is so much! My girls moved out before I got the service. For ten a month you won't have to buy dvd's for years! One I noticed was The Magic School Bus. We loved that show!

Leave a comment:

• Carolnnc
    replied

If you do a Netflix search for Prancer Returns you'll get 20 kids Christmas movies and they are all great (if you can stand that much Christmas at one time). There are also 4 American Girl Movies, The Boxcar Children, Charlotte's Web and lots of other children's movies. I watch kids stuff when I need a break from the adult shows.

Leave a comment:

• asta
    replied

Originally posted by Hulamoon View Post
    Speaking of cooking, Food Network has Chopped Jr which is fun. And right now they have all the Halloween cooking/decorating shows. Those are all on demand I believe.
    These might be fun! We do have netflix, never even looked at the children's programming, will have to check this out. Thanks for all the advice.

Leave a comment:

• Hulamoon
    replied

Speaking of cooking, Food Network has Chopped Jr which is fun. And right now they have all the Halloween cooking/decorating shows. Those are all on demand I believe.

Leave a comment:

• bubba
    replied

If you have cable, flip over to Disney, Nick, or other kid channels. I have one grandkid who likes to watch HGTV with us! They even enjoy cooking shows, but I don't watch them much anymore.

Leave a comment:

• auntiemern
    replied

Nick Jr. and Disney are usually a safe bet. 2 of my grands are under 10 so we do watch A LOT of these shows. Netflix is also a good idea. They have many older kid shows that are no longer on. DVD's of your own choosing is also a good idea. A 6 yr old little girl would most likely like things such as Dora the Explorer, Max and Ruby, Peppa Pig, Little Bear, and Blues Clues, shows like those, that are readily available on Net Flix or that can be purchased (several episodes on 1 DVD) at a reasonable price. Hope this helps you out...I have after all been watching these for the past 13 years

Leave a comment:

• RiverMomm
    replied

I use Netflix and set up a profile just for kids. There are lots of old shows and movies available.

Leave a comment:

• alliek
    replied

Your friend is correct, unless you have the Andy Griffin show on in the evening, there is not anything else I would suggest. DVD's are your best bet. Old Shirley Temple movies, and Sound of music, besides Disney.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X