Suggestions please! and rant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Suggestions please! and rant

A friend is going to be visiting soon with her newly adopted granddaughter. She is wondering if I can get some suggestions for t.v. shows that are appropriate-especially evening shows-for a 6 year old. We have been discussing the fact that it seems morals and family values seem to have left the t.v. world. Everything seems to be focused on sex or at least inappropriate behaviors for the parents and teens in shows. Not to mention "sassy" mouths of the young children that elicits the laughter of grown-ups. I remember when my kids were young The Simpsons was popular and my DH would tape the show for the kids then edit out much of the show, sometimes there was very little left but the kids were happy and did not notice for the most part. If we were to try this now there would be no show left. So, my question is, should we just stock up on a bunch of DVD's or is there something the group of us gals can watch together. I miss the good old days of Father Knows Best, and Leave It To Beaver.
    Beth

Procrastinate. It frees up time to quilt!

Re: Suggestions please! and rant

Do you have Netflix? They have a whole section on children's programs and movies. You could actually do a free trial and decline after she leaves.
    🌺 Lorie

Comment

You might go to thrift shops and get some Disney movies - As for tv shows you might look for the nickelodeon jr. channel. Enjoy your visit.

Comment

Stick With DVD's
        Nothing good on tv anymore!
        Happy Quilting!

Comment

Having two Grandchildren under the age of 10 living with me full time we watch a lot of Disney and Nick Jr. Netflix or DVD's would be another choice. Good luck and hope you have a great visit.

Comment

Haven't watched tv in more than 15 years. Don't care much for garbage in my home

Comment

Your friend is correct, unless you have the Andy Griffin show on in the evening, there is not anything else I would suggest. DVD's are your best bet. Old Shirley Temple movies, and Sound of music, besides Disney.

Comment

I use Netflix and set up a profile just for kids. There are lots of old shows and movies available.

Comment

Nick Jr. and Disney are usually a safe bet. 2 of my grands are under 10 so we do watch A LOT of these shows. Netflix is also a good idea. They have many older kid shows that are no longer on. DVD's of your own choosing is also a good idea. A 6 yr old little girl would most likely like things such as Dora the Explorer, Max and Ruby, Peppa Pig, Little Bear, and Blues Clues, shows like those, that are readily available on Net Flix or that can be purchased (several episodes on 1 DVD) at a reasonable price. Hope this helps you out...I have after all been watching these for the past 13 years
                  Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......
                  sigpic

Comment

If you have cable, flip over to Disney, Nick, or other kid channels. I have one grandkid who likes to watch HGTV with us! They even enjoy cooking shows, but I don't watch them much anymore.
                    pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

Speaking of cooking, Food Network has Chopped Jr which is fun. And right now they have all the Halloween cooking/decorating shows. Those are all on demand I believe.
                      🌺 Lorie

Comment

Originally posted by Hulamoon View Post
                        Speaking of cooking, Food Network has Chopped Jr which is fun. And right now they have all the Halloween cooking/decorating shows. Those are all on demand I believe.
                        These might be fun! We do have netflix, never even looked at the children's programming, will have to check this out. Thanks for all the advice.
                        Beth

Procrastinate. It frees up time to quilt!

Comment

If you do a Netflix search for Prancer Returns you'll get 20 kids Christmas movies and they are all great (if you can stand that much Christmas at one time). There are also 4 American Girl Movies, The Boxcar Children, Charlotte's Web and lots of other children's movies. I watch kids stuff when I need a break from the adult shows.
                          :icon_happy:

sigpic

Comment

I just went to Netflix to see what was on there. Wow, there is so much! My girls moved out before I got the service. For ten a month you won't have to buy dvd's for years! One I noticed was The Magic School Bus. We loved that show!
                            🌺 Lorie

Comment

The old shows are still out there and you can stream them from your computer. There is a site called Putlocker that you can get anything for free
                              Walk in peace with the Lord by your side.
                              Terry

Comment

Working...
                              X