Measly 0.3% Social Security Raise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Measly 0.3% Social Security Raise

I read today on the web that our Soc. Sec. raise for 2017 will be a measly 0.3%, supposedly because of the low cost of living & low gas prices. Give me a break! It's unknown yet how much they may raise our Medicare A & B premiums. I already know that our Medicare D prescription plans have increased the deductible from $320. a year to $400.! (That's for each of us.) Just because gas prices are down doesn't mean the prices of other things aren't going up! I know many seniors are struggling. We're voting no for the school mill levy & any amendments that want to increase our taxes or take more money out of our pockets. We already pay 8.026% sales tax.

Re: Measly 0.3% Social Security Raise

Why should they even bother, it's just another slap in the face. Gas prices will go back up soon. It doesn't get any better for any of us. And nothing we can do about it.
    sigpicLinda :icon_wave:

Comment

Our sales tax is over 10%! I think my pension raise last summer was the same they said they are increasing social security by. I'm glad I was the first to retire.........MM gets to work for about six more years!
      pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

It is more than we got last year. It is sad that it is all we are getting though.
        Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......
        sigpic

Comment

I agree. Each year, it is a challenge to see what we can eliminate to still live within our retirement income.
          If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you.- Zig Ziglar

Comment

I'm getting ready to retire and you guys are scaring me.

Comment

I'm getting ready to retire too, but this is why so many of us plan to work part time in retirement. If you have a pension, consider yourself lucky as it is not the norm anymore. I have saved for this all my life, so hopefully I can make it work. May start doing some long arming to supplement my income, still trying to decide.

Comment

It's a pitiful commentary on how we treat our older citizens, yet we continue to dump billions in foreign countries. It's totally insulting that prescriptions, dentures and hearing aids aren't covered by Medicare.
                sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

Pathetic, every week prices rise at the grocery store and gas prices don't stay low for long. The people in high places that make these decisions have probably not done their own shopping and have no idea of prices these days
                  If you could choose to be anything choose kindness.

Visit my Flickr page, sewing and cakes!
                  http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

www.pinterest.com/cathyfiebe/boards

Comment

AND they have 6-figure incomes

Comment

Gas in my area has gone up a bit lately - probably a good 10 cents a gallon. Especially diesel which I use right now ( until VW buys it back). I have been retired over 5 years now and there has never been a COLA for us in that time and a few years before that. All the legislators talk about is doing something about the state pensions. I worked very hard as a public school teacher in inner city Harrisburg and deserve every cent I made. It's funny how the legislators still get their raises.

Comment

Oh, it is scary. My DH and I just retired, and the high tax rate in CT was the reason we moved to TN. We can only pray things at least stay the way they are - (for now).

Comment

Wow I don't know where I'm going to spend it all. Increase will be low because of the gas prices? Oh because of that thing in the driveway I use less and less as I get older and older like many senior? That's why the increase is so low???

They're going to bleed us until we're dead, just before they'll put us in nursing homes so we have to sign over our homes and any small savings we have. Then they'll be happy using us as medical experiments until we lose usefulness as that then they'll allow us to die. Mission accomplished.
                          https://forum.missouriquiltco.com/co.../icon_wave.gif
                          Women are Angels. When someone break's our wings we will continue to fly-usually on a broomstick.We're flexible like that.

Comment

When we do get a few pennies more something else goes up which takes away those pennies plus some more.
                            sigpic
                            Hugs Ann

Comment

I am sure the Medicare part B will increase to swallow any benefit increase. At least our checks won't go down.

Comment

Working...
                              X